NameSilo

Unlimited Storage/Bandwidth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well I've seen MANY free hosts lately that's giving unlimited storage and bandwidth! Though they have ads, but that is unbelievable!

Now I have READ several articles regarding this, and I've heard that these stuff are fake, and there is a limit

Question: after you sign their contract for unlimited storage and bandwidth, don't you actually GET that? Even if there is a limit, it should be written in the terms of agreement, which is not. So if I move my whole PC worth of items in there, nothing bad would happen, right? Or will they simply delete the whole thing.

If it works, it's like another computer that I carry around, what's the need for others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it's a proper free host, they work on the agreement that you actually put a proper website there. They then work on the assumption that if they give you as much space and bandwidth as you need, they can make money out of ads on your site.

So, in effect its not actually free as there are ads.

•••
leviathon said:
Well I've seen MANY free hosts lately that's giving unlimited storage and bandwidth! Though they have ads, but that is unbelievable!

Now I have READ several articles regarding this, and I've heard that these stuff are fake, and there is a limit

Question: after you sign their contract for unlimited storage and bandwidth, don't you actually GET that? Even if there is a limit, it should be written in the terms of agreement, which is not. So if I move my whole PC worth of items in there, nothing bad would happen, right? Or will they simply delete the whole thing.

If it works, it's like another computer that I carry around, what's the need for others?

Usually their agreement will tell you that you may not use it for file storage, rather than just for a web-site; offering a deal like that, they have full rights to monitor all accounts for illegal files.

•••
unlimited space and B/W is a scam. No servers can hold unlimited. Its always gonna have a limit.

•••
The various ways to exploit the unlimited space/transfer are numerous. Typically, hosts will write in some sort of vague resource limit such as a certain % of resources other than space and transfer - quite often tied to CPU usage and such. With this limit, odds are that if your site has any kind of db (such as MySQL) or very heavy downloads you'll reach the limit and allow them to cut you off.

Another tactic is to write a limit into the actual TOS. You don't see this as much but I have seen it before.

Yet another tactic is to simply bet that you won't do anything when you're cut off. Odds are you'll pay more in legals fees than you actually lose so legal action probably isn't going to happen.

Then you have the other situation that is common. People who want so much space for nothing often host warez/illegal websites. They cut you off and there isn't a thing you can do because you'll get caught if you say anything. This probably applies more to free hosts than anything.

Just a few examples of how people are caught with the unlimited scam.

•••
Yep, tend to see this post very often. Paid or Free host, your merely buying into a scam. Not sure why someone would want to do that but it happens.

•••
I have unlimited files.Anyone that can hold them please post and I will send them up
via ftp.:lol:

•••
sdtrader said:
I have unlimited files.Anyone that can hold them please post and I will send them up
via ftp.:lol:
And I'll keep downloading sdtrader's "files" unlimited times... :p
So, go ahead & post it. hah ha... :lol: :lol:

•••
To test their genuineness you can upload large videos and tell others to download them simulataneously and try to strain their servers.

Their is nothing like Free Lunch in Web Hosting Buisness.

Last edited:
•••
yeah i asked my hosters about that and they said that it isnt really good because they either have too many ads or they arent trustworthy with a poor server.

•••
navjotjsingh said:
To test their genuineness you can upload large videos and tell others to download them simulataneously and try to strain their servers.

Their is nothing like Free Lunch in Web Hosting Buisness.

Yes I've done that before, quite fun :lol:

I uploaded several copies of amazingly huge files (approximately worth of 23G) and nothin much happened. If that doesn't kill their BW, 8-X

•••
Why would anyone who is riding a free account consider legal action after getting bumped? Are you so craven as to cry for "free" (meaning getting someone else's labor and wealth) and then trying to use a blood sucking lawyer to get yet more when your site goes down (as it always will with "businesses" that try to cut margins that thin)?

•••
bfrizz said:
Why would anyone who is riding a free account consider legal action after getting bumped? Are you so craven as to cry for "free" (meaning getting someone else's labor and wealth) and then trying to use a blood sucking lawyer to get yet more when your site goes down (as it always will with "businesses" that try to cut margins that thin)?

I'm sorry, I don't get a single word you've said. Blood sucking lawyer? :-/

Are you trying to say that free accounts are legal because people cried for free?

•••
I find good websites Don't need more than 1 GB webspace and more than 35 GB of Bandwidth...anything more, you might as well host your own server.

•••
SquireQuack said:
I find good websites Don't need more than 1 GB webspace and more than 35 GB of Bandwidth...anything more, you might as well host your own server.
Good websites barely even need 500 mb space!

•••
Most websites which offer unlimited space/bandwidth usually has some hidden terms, or worse, will just terminate your account when you hog their resources or go over the limit (which is really ironic since there was no limit in the first place!).

Or they could also throttle your bandwidth and make your transfers go about slowly so that even if you have unlimited bandwidth, you actually won't be able to use as much.

•••
You get what you pay for.

•••
•••
Hmm Unlimited hosting is not a scam IMHO

Unlimited Space:
Of course you cant have an unlimited HDD, however, u can replenish 250GB HDDs as need per customer -- Most companies have a 5-10GB limit of mp3s/video files in order to keep warez sites from popping up

Unlimited Bandwith:
This is basically a peace of mind service. You will not have to worry about bandwith limitations or having your site go down.

I am currently hosting on an unlimited hosting plan, and Ive had 100% uptime (as much as i noticed) and no problems with my host.

Most people just think that something is too good to be true, and therefore disregard it as a scam. "Terabyte" hosting is the equivalent of Unlimited Hosting, just a different name in my opinion. Companies that offer Terabyte space or bandwith, never expect anyone to reeach such a limit, and if they do they just add nother 100GB HDD to the rack.

peace

•••
Thank you, that was very helpful.

BTW, what's the name of the server you're currently hosting?

•••
Unlimited Space:
Of course you cant have an unlimited HDD, however, u can replenish 250GB HDDs as need per customer -- Most companies have a 5-10GB limit of mp3s/video files in order to keep warez sites from popping up

HDs themselves are limited if you want to use that logic.

However, business 101 is eventually costs would outweigh revenue.

This is basically a peace of mind service. You will not have to worry about bandwith limitations or having your site go down.

aka a lie...right?

It's great peace of mind knowing your site could be shut down one day when it reaches a limit that you don't know.

I am currently hosting on an unlimited hosting plan, and Ive had 100% uptime (as much as i noticed) and no problems with my host.

100% uptime is a pretty serious claim - do you have any stats backing this up? How long?

Most people just think that something is too good to be true, and therefore disregard it as a scam. "Terabyte" hosting is the equivalent of Unlimited Hosting, just a different name in my opinion. Companies that offer Terabyte space or bandwith, never expect anyone to reeach such a limit, and if they do they just add nother 100GB HDD to the rack.

Agreed. That's why the hosts out there that offer Mars are just as bad as the unlimited ones. In the grand scheme of things they're both selling a lie.

•••
Thanks guys. Understood never trust them. Well I'm pretty sure I can't use up my current 7G storage anyways...

•••
I have tried it..and it worked for me [the unlimited bandwidth part]
I have this Free host that i got about a year ago...they gave me 1 gb space with unlimited bandwidth [NO ADS]...and i had NO problems with them, i host about 10 websites there...but never got a downtime..or anything :P
even tho i bought hosting and resellers..i still use tht space since it is the most reliable place i got to host stuff :p the only problem is that they wont let me ad more domains [so i have to use the domain tht i have there right now..no addons..]

•••
microdude431 said:
Even some hosts that offer 50GB Space, 500GB Bandwidth for $10/month is a scam. No one would actually sell have of their server for $10 a month. :lol:

Agree! 50GB is DEFINITELY a scam! It is like a dedicated server with plenty of racks! Whoever tries to compete that with REAL storage must be VERY smart

•••
not reliable

you cannot believe on free web hosting space providers becoz they can change their terms and conditions at any time moreover they can delete ur whole stuff

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back