IT.COM

Uniregistry reports false expiration dates - should be a bug?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I have recently discovered a disturbing bug(or is it just a bug?) at Uniregistry.
Names have been renewed two weeks ago and expiration date had to be set to July 2020 which is the case according to Uniregsitry account manager and I have been invoiced for renewals.

I was received an email from auction website, where I have been trying to list these names.
They have claimed that the names are less than two weeks away from expiration date.

I have checked with domain registry, Afilias in this case and surprise - names have not been renewed two weeks ago, when I was invoiced.

I have called Uniregistry support and support rep was of zero help and just confirmed situation and asked to wait until Monday.

I will keep everyone posted, but if you have names at Uniregistry, then make sure to check whether if they are actually getting renewed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I contacted the OP about the details.

The domain in this case are 3 .INFO domains. The domains are obscured but the facts checked out. I have audited the case and indeed, the Uniregistry UX says renewed:

upload_2019-6-29_9-50-17.png

The registry reports no update:

upload_2019-6-29_9-51-43.png

I am not aware of any systematic practice around delayed renewals at Uniregistry, so my guess is either (1) a technical issue, or (2) Afilias needs a wire. As I recall, Afilias is unaccommodating about weekend credits.

I would give until Monday before being concerned in this case.

•••
Thanks for checking, but they have been renewed and I have been invoiced 16 days ago. Would be awaiting for their reply.

Last edited:
•••
It was Monday, but my ticket was still open, with no reply and I had to call them again.
This time, I have talked to someone knowledgeable and aware of how things work at Uniregistry.
Surprisingly, when names have auto-renewal set to On, you get charged 30 days before expiration date, but names dont get renewed on that date. They get renewed on expiration date.
The reason that it works this way is "we want to let out clients cancel renewal and get a refund in case they change their mind before expiration date".
I havent seen such a policy anywhere else, but surprisingly, thats how it works at Uniregistry.

The only way to renew the names earlier is to renew them manually.

Just in case you have names at Uniregistry.com or is planning to transfer names there, be aware about auto-renewals work there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back