IT.COM

discuss Unethical selling practice

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Prosperousness.com

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

You sent offer for your desired domain and the seller double priced the bin without any response.

Is it OK?

I hate such "sellers". They are not sellers but lead collectors.

Any buyers here? What do you think?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
People can do what they want with their assets - and there are plenty of jerks on both the buyer and seller ends of the spectrum.

How close was your offer to the BIN?

•••
People can do what they want with their assets - and there are plenty of jerks on both the buyer and seller ends of the spectrum.

-25% of bin
the domain was listed for low $x,xxx
They are waiting end users for years and just lost the deal with foolish practice.

So the conclusion : unethical seller got nothing.
I bought the another one.

Last edited:
•••

BTW I have recently sold a domain with discount 80% off. Because I needed money. Original bin was high $x,xxx.

Probably some sellers don't need the money... forever "sellers" or lead collectors.

•••
•••
Well, they see that the name is getting attention - that's why they do it.

Also, I do believe that if your offer would be in the range of 50-75% of BIN - you'd have more chance of getting this name, and the seller would be more flexible. But he thinks - hey, I am not desperate for money and this name is getting attention (I assume also you offer was on the reseller's side - that's why he never considers it seriously), so he goes - let's raise and wait for an end user with a thick wallet...

•••
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's quite possible they weren't trying to screw with you at all. I raise my BIN sometimes after an offer comes in, simply because the offer forces me to think and reevaluate the potential value of the domain. They might have set that BIN price years ago, etc

•••
Is it unethical? That is debatable.

On one hand it is the owner's asset to do with as they please.

You could have just bought it at the BIN.

If the owner backed out a price that was agreed upon, that is a different story.

Brad

•••
If the domain is the only option EMD for your brand, pay the 1st BIN you see; don't risk it.
If the domain is one of several options, its better to move to your next option.

The seller BIN switch is an annoying bait and switch tactic, but its their choice.

Sellers like this hope to manipulate you via FOMO, so give them the bird and move on.

•••
I have had this happen to me as a buyer too and I didn’t like it, but it’s definitely not “unethical”. The seller can change their price whenever they want, up until they have a sales agreement in place.

•••
Well, if they priced their domain years ago, your offer brought it to their attention that the domain might be worth more today and so they changed the price. It happened to me many times, both as an interested buyer and as a seller.

•••
Well, if they priced their domain years ago, your offer brought it to their attention that the domain might be worth more today and so they changed the price. It happened to me many times, both as an interested buyer and as a seller.
The domain is actually was priced OK (more than average market value).
But
Your opinion reminds me: namepros.com/threads/i-bought-domainnames-com-from-networksolutions-but-they-took-it-back.1065682/

Last edited:
•••
The domain is actually was priced OK (more than average market value).
But
Your opinion reminds me: namepros.com/threads/i-bought-domainnames-com-from-networksolutions-but-they-took-it-back.1065682/

It is nothing like that. I've sold and bought underpriced domains and I never cancelled such a sale or had the purchase cancelled. But if you see a decently priced domain and try to negotiate to buy it even cheaper, you must take into account that you may not get it at all. Just a couple days ago I found a nice domain at 250 and made a offer of 100 just to see how it goes, however a couple hours later it was bought by someone else (maybe BIN, or maybe just a better offer than mine). It's just how it works.

•••
So moral of the story: I just spent $x,xxx on another two com domains (bought at bin without any offers). As a buyer - I am avoiding to do any offers.

Domains without bin I have never checking (exclude category killer).
ALWAYS SET BUY NOW PRICE and ask yourself would you purchase at this price.

Last edited:
•••
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's quite possible they weren't trying to screw with you at all. I raise my BIN sometimes after an offer comes in, simply because the offer forces me to think and reevaluate the potential value of the domain. They might have set that BIN price years ago, etc
This happens to me frequently too. The reality is that the buyers often miss a great opportunity to purchase names at discounted prices by not taking advantage of an old BIN price set many years ago. I don't mind refusing offers because a good name just keeps increasing in value and I'll make more money later anyway.

•••
Maybe I was your potential seller! This happened last week with me. The Afternic bid could have bought the name direct BIN from its own non-Afternic lander. First, I see BIN as Buy-it-Now with emphasis on the NOW. I appreciate Brad's clear point above: it's not backing-out of an agreed price to raise BIN if not triggered. Also, my activity was via Afternic, which acts as a screen between the two parties and extracts 25% (and I fear bumping to Dan w/ small monthly payments). Finally, the .com domain was (and is?) underpriced due to wide & very unusual recent interest involving blowback on a large mega-brewery, and what's the Right Beer for the modern world.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back