Dynadot

advice Unconventional methods of advertising domain sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eno_sells_sites

Established Member
Impact
Hi all! Has anyone here tried different/unconventional methods of advertising the sale of a domain? I'm talking along the lines of running a paid ad or listing it on an unconventional website maybe? I've been chewing over how to make a domain stand out amongst the noise of auction sites, paid showcases, etc. and ultimately drive more intersted buyers to the sale. I own a couple that I think could sell for a decent price if I were able to get more eyes on the listings. Any experience with this would be welcome!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi all! Has anyone here tried different/unconventional methods of advertising the sale of a domain? I'm talking along the lines of running a paid ad or listing it on an unconventional website maybe? I've been chewing over how to make a domain stand out amongst the noise of auction sites, paid showcases, etc. and ultimately drive more intersted buyers to the sale. I own a couple that I think could sell for a decent price if I were able to get more eyes on the listings. Any experience with this would be welcome!
Hi

having more eyes on a pile of :poop: doesn't mean a farmer will walk by and purchase it.

:)

just saying

it depends on what the/those eyes see,
and what visions of applicable uses will they see in their mind...if any, for those domain names.

also,
is the juice - ie: the money for ads, worth the squeeze > of your asking prices.

lastly, how long have you owned these names?

imo...

•••
Hi

having more eyes on a pile of :poop: doesn't mean a farmer will walk by and purchase it.

:)

just saying

it depends on what the/those eyes see,
and what visions of applicable uses will they see in their mind...if any, for those domain names.

also,
is the juice - ie: the money for ads, worth the squeeze > of your asking prices.

lastly, how long have you owned these names?

imo...
Lol love the analogy and fair point indeed. I know it can be pretty random--you never know who's looking for what, or how much they're willing to spend. Just wondering if there might be other ways to reach the "who".

I have some names with strong keywords in growing niches that I've owned for over a year, and other ones that are quite old that I've acquired recently. And some that are totally new. It's a pretty mixed bag.

•••
The following list of 247 marketing ideas and techniques I compiled and shared on NamePros back in 2011 may be a bit old (It got buried over the years), but it's still very relevant and accurate for both; online and off-line techniques: https://www.namepros.com/threads/marketing-ideas-and-techniques.719211/

It may be worth a few minutes of your time to review and cherry pick some marketing techniques to add to your existing arsenal.

Good luck on your sales. ;)

Last edited:
•••
You may try very small Facebook Ad. campaigns, like $5 per day for 10 days (=$50) or something like that.

If you can target your audience well and get good response from the Ad. campaign, then go ahead with more experiments. Otherwise just count that $50 as a loss.

Companies like SquadHelp are known to advertise domain sales on Facebook / Google etc. So there must be some good opportunity if your names & pricing are good enough, and user targeting is well executed.

Please do your own experiments instead for taking conflicting suggestions from others, and then publish the result here!

Happy domaining 🌹
Fayaz.

•••
If you have a domain like seojobs.com to sell, join some SEO forums and FB groups. Contribute regularly and when you have your own signature or links, display your domain. I think this can be applied to any niche under the sun

•••
If you have a technical and/or design background, you can go a step further.

By running ads, you can direct users to your curated social post that has more about the name or even your website domain-specific landing page. Running ads is a bit more expensive approach to drive traffic, but I'm sure there have been many success stories.
  • Create a brand you can market your domains with, whether that be on social and/or through your own website. You're able to fully control your content rather than strictly using a third-party lander.
  • Provide factual data, potential use cases, and maybe even branding for the name you're trying to sell.
  • If you have web development experience, you could also build the site as an additional offering for the buyer.
Be the expert when it comes to selling your domain. You never know who might stumble across the name and think about buying it, especially if you include additional services. Present your product like you would as any professional. All it takes is one interested party to make the purchase!

Best of luck! 😄

Last edited:
•••
I've often thought that contacting highly targeted business candidates to rent/lease or even advertise on a name I own makes sense. (Type the term like "tap dance shoes" and see who is advertising online for this term-especially pages 2-3 on Google.) Most businesses would rather own/acquire a name-especially if they plan on building a marketing plan and website it. By not asking them to buy it, I think you may have interest in them acquiring it. It's worth a shot. Everyone likes something that isn't available. (the scarcity factor.) It might also, allow you to fetch a higher price than a Buy It Now (BIN.)

Last edited:
•••
I believe the most important first step to selling a domain is NOT utilizing a traditional parked page provided by a registrar, broker, or public parking page provider, but rather setting up a real SSL enabled website on the domain that will be indexed by search engines and appear in related search results. I built my first website publishing hub around ten years ago with around 500 domains and now operate several for myself and clients. Enabling potential buyers to come across a domain of interest organically and offering a direct contact form is the first step. I have utilized Tweets and LinkedIn posts to drive targeted audiences to specific domains, I haven't tried paid advertising but it could be easily implemented and analyzed with the systems I operate. I am shocked at how many domainers rely only on type-in traffic since parked pages on public platforms are essentially invisible to organic traffic. There are lots of tricks I have learned and automated over the years to create parked pages that aren't buried by search engines. I feel a real landing page is the most important factor to reaching potential domain buyers, direct outreach to potential buyers is largely treated as spam in my experience.

•••
If you have the opportunity to get outdoors and visit businesses in person, try talking to them in person. I have had owners buy domain names on the spot simply because they had a face to interact with.

Will say, they didn't buy one of my DNs but I'm not a salesperson just like to relay honesty and business folk get it.

•••
I am shocked at how many domainers rely only on type-in traffic since parked pages on public platforms are essentially invisible to organic traffic
I'm sorry, are there any marketplaces around that make their listed domains actually searchable in search engines? I know that hugedomains.com do such thing, but they're not a marketplace and just promote their own tlds such way

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back