IT.COM

[UK] Newbie Questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Six

Established Member
Impact
I'm in the UK, and wondered the following:

Is it harder to buy domains from people? Due to having to transfer it to a UK registrar.

If my registrar doesn't register certain domains, can I still have it transferred to it, and if yes, renew?

enom - I have heard of it, but would I be correct in assuming that when people say domains have been registered through enom, they can still be transferred over to UK registrars?

Is it possible for people in the UK to use non-UK registrars? If yes, what methods of payment are accepted? As I would assume the only viable one really would be PayPal.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You don't need to transfer domain to a UK registrar when buying domains, just keep them where they are, or transfer to any registrar.

No, you can't transfer those your registrar doesn't do.

Yes, you can use any registrars by paying credit card or paypal or e-gold etc, just to check who accept which.

•••
That was very helpful, thanks - rep added :)

So would it be worth registering for eNom then?

Last edited:
•••
So would it be worth registering for eNom then

There are many other you could TRY like

domainsite.com
godaddy.com
namecheap.com
moniker.com

•••
try us at finexe.com.
paypal and e-gold accepted.

•••
there is not one UK registrar I would recommend.
For the buying and selling of domains register with godaddy or namecheap and you will avoid lots of problems.

•••
Could somebody also clarify what is meant by domain 'pushing' please? I take it it's not the same as transferring to another person & registrar with the IPS tag?

Incidentally, that IPS tag way IS how to transfer it to another person and registrar properly so that you no longer own the domain right?

If my second question is correct, is everyone willing to do it that way, or do they/you have to pay extra?

•••
Pushing means transferring a domain to another account within the current registrars system

Transfer means transferring a domain to another registrar

To tranfer a domain, you unlock the domain at current registrar, then order a transfer at your new registrar. transfers may take 5 days to be completed and cannot be initiated until 60 days after registration and not later than 10 days before expiration (these rules apply only to generic tlds set by icann)

•••
hello matitude, welcome to NPs.. :)

imho, one registrar stands above the rest and thats Moniker. How many domains of my few thou do i have registered there? 1..... :red: however, I will get round to moving them all to them eventually. Especially at $6.95/yr for a .com (a rate you'll also get as a NP user) and also because their security is second to none.

But like you mention to save on costs etc, when you buy a domain in the aftermarket, you are better served opening an account at the registrar at which its registered and keep it there until renewal and then transferring it to your registrar of choice.

Whoever said UK companies are rubbish is also partly correct unless you are talking about .co.uk domains and then you have a choice of a number of registrars all offereing £1 ayr registrations. I actually hold all mine at lowcostnames.co.uk and they charge about £4 a year - but this is cool.

•••
Badger said:
hello matitude, welcome to NPs.. :)

imho, one registrar stands above the rest and thats Moniker. How many domains of my few thou do i have registered there? 1..... :red: however, I will get round to moving them all to them eventually. Especially at $6.95/yr for a .com (a rate you'll also get as a NP user) and also because their security is second to none.

But like you mention to save on costs etc, when you buy a domain in the aftermarket, you are better served opening an account at the registrar at which its registered and keep it there until renewal and then transferring it to your registrar of choice.

Whoever said UK companies are rubbish is also partly correct unless you are talking about .co.uk domains and then you have a choice of a number of registrars all offereing £1 ayr registrations. I actually hold all mine at lowcostnames.co.uk and they charge about £4 a year - but this is cool.

Thank You, that was very informative - rep added :)

•••
Thx, but next time you might want to click on the "positive" rep rather than negative... :(

•••
Badger said:
Thx, but next time you might want to click on the "positive" rep rather than negative... :(
Damn, I didn't did I? I could have swore it was already on 'Positive' and clicked 'Add to reputation'. I'm sorry! :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back