IT.COM

discuss .UK domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

coco77

Top Member
Impact
Hey guys,

Do you need to be a resident of the UK etc to own a .UK domain extension?
I tried registering one with NameCheap and then it asked me for :

Registrant's Legal Type and there was a drop-down menu like UK individual, UK Limited Company etc etc.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey guys,

Do you need to be a resident of the UK etc to own a .UK domain extension?
I tried registering one with NameCheap and then it asked me for :

Registrant's Legal Type and there was a drop-down menu like UK individual, UK Limited Company etc etc.

Thank you!

Aye im pretty sure i registered about 10 thought i hit the jackpot however if the .co.uk is allready registered you cant buy the .uk domain sucks right.

If you can hold off till 2018 you should be able to buy whatever .uk you want. Its legislation in the UK that all .co.uk have naming rights to .uk until 2018 (meaning if they dont buy the .UK before 2018 its available to anyone.)

Just to re-iterate im a UK resident and it only gives you the option to buy if you reside within the UK.

I bought a load of great names cars.uk /fitness.uk/trains.uk.
Registered them with GoDaddy and about 24 hours later got a refund since the co.uk were allready owned.

Last edited:
•••
www(dot)theukdomain(dot)/uk/rights-lookup-tool/

This should explain it clearer. You can also check if your infringing on .co.uk domains

•••
I registered
CARINSURANCECO.UK

Let me me know what you hack

•••
I registered
CARINSURANCECO.UK

Let me me know what you hack

Its good but again i had the same idea registering anything and everything ending in CO followed by Uk.

The mad thing is aswell with the legislation now you own the .uk domain you have naming rights to the .co.uk so for example i couldn't buy carinsuranceco.co.uk until 2018 ofcourse.

•••
Its good but again i had the same idea registering anything and everything ending in CO followed by Uk.

The mad thing is aswell with the legislation now you own the .uk domain you have naming rights to the .co.uk so for example i couldn't buy carinsuranceco.co.uk until 2018 ofcourse.
Interesting. I thought it was just the other way round.
I easily registered BUSINESSCO.UK
Let's see what else I can get my hands on.

•••

Try registering BUSINESSCO.co.uk let me know if u can.

•••
Try registering BUSINESSCO.co.uk let me know if u can.

check on that site first. That's what i was led to believe you cant register for example .co.uk if the .uk was registered first and vice versa.

whichever is registered first has naming rights it could be a potential goldmine for sure but i don't think i will go mad on it and being left with non-sensicle domains with co added then .uk.

cant edit my post search theukdomain(dot)com all the information is there i said 2018 it's 2019 btw

At 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014 we launched the new shorter, sharper domain name .uk into our UK domain family. If you are an existing customer and own a unique .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .plc.uk or .ltd.uk, a .uk domain name may already have been reserved especially for you until 10 June 2019.

If you already hold a domain within the .uk domain family that is eligible, we have automatically reserved the .uk domain for free, until 10 June 2019 as long as your unique domain remains registered. If you would like to register the domain name we advise you speak directly to your existing registrar who should be able to handle this for you. Alternatively you can choose to register your .uk domain with a different registrar. You will be required to pay for the domain via the registrar as usual.For instructions on how to transfer your existing website across to your .uk domain name we recommend you speak directly to your hosting provider.If you would like more information on how the .uk domain name rights work, please read our

•••
check on that site first. That's what i was led to believe you cant register for example .co.uk if the .uk was registered first and vice versa.

whichever is registered first has naming rights it could be a potential goldmine for sure but i don't think i will go mad on it and being left with non-sensicle domains with co added then .uk.

cant edit my post search theukdomain(dot)com all the information is there i said 2018 it's 2019 btw

At 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014 we launched the new shorter, sharper domain name .uk into our UK domain family. If you are an existing customer and own a unique .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .plc.uk or .ltd.uk, a .uk domain name may already have been reserved especially for you until 10 June 2019.

If you already hold a domain within the .uk domain family that is eligible, we have automatically reserved the .uk domain for free, until 10 June 2019 as long as your unique domain remains registered. If you would like to register the domain name we advise you speak directly to your existing registrar who should be able to handle this for you. Alternatively you can choose to register your .uk domain with a different registrar. You will be required to pay for the domain via the registrar as usual.For instructions on how to transfer your existing website across to your .uk domain name we recommend you speak directly to your hosting provider.If you would like more information on how the .uk domain name rights work, please read our

You can also read the in-depth rules at nominet

•••
•••

Are you going to go mad with the domains with CO at the end ? haha. Potentially some good names but get some validation on it thinking of some great names carsco betco etc..

•••
•••
See i tried with all dictionary names with UK at the end only a few Mutuk /mut.uk crazy stuff. But you would have to own the co.uk /so mut.co.uk .

Good idea on the CO then .UK though never tried that. If it lets your register then it should be safe as i said earlier GoDaddy didn't even bother it just refunded me a day or 2 later so if your Domain is ready you should be allright.

•••
Here is one here barnco.uk (barnco.co.uk ) is free. So it can be registered

washerco.uk
ticketco.uk (taken ticketco.co.uk)

Last edited:
•••
KITCHENCO.UK

This one ain't bad. 5 days, 1 tweet and 2 offers already.

•••
•••
Both companies are in England.

I don't want to say to much, but they both pay for the same keywords ads on Google.

•••
Both companies are in England.

I don't want to say to much, but they both pay for the same keywords ads on Google.

Great well done . I'm new to domaining so i have yet established a great base to sell my domains .

I did contact a couple of football teams in the uk about a domain regarding there birth year be great feeling to sell my first domain as for now ill just pick up what i can.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back