IT.COM

.uk .UK domain name release

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Is anyone registering .UK domains? They opened registration for anyone and there's a bunch of great one-word domains up for grabs. I haven't heard much about this extension on this forum and wanted to know all of your take.

UK residents already owning the .CO.UK extension received first dibs of its equivalent but now it's open registration. These .UK names seems to be much more better and catchy than .co.uk, but we'll see how things go. I suppose it's still too early to say.

There's still many great domains up for grab.
ROR-Timeline-for-FAQs-872x357.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes. I am and it's not going very well :wtf: haha

•••
Yes. I am and it's not going very well :wtf: haha
Yeah I used GoDaddy to pre-register a bunch but GoDaddy sent me these error emails because they were unable to capture the domains and just refunded me. So far, every single domain I tried pre-registered was rejected. For two of the domains, they sent an email saying they were unsuccessful with capturing it but then sends me another email with the domain up for auction in their network. Super shady and suspicious.

•••
Yes I am caught lots had a few lll.uk today not that i care much prefer my co.uk

•••
Yes I am caught lots had a few lll.uk today not that i care much prefer my co.uk
I am receiving more emails now with the domains I pre-registered, all saying they're up for auction. Such b.s :( So what they're doing is if they receive more than 1 pre-registration for a .uk domain, they're putting it up for auction.

Last edited:
•••
I am receiving more emails now with the domains I pre-registered, all saying they're up for auction. Such b.s :(

Yes good names will be sent to auction all the best names are gone in the first minute and thats around 300,000 names dropped per day..

•••
Yes good names will be sent to auction all the best names are gone in the first minute and thats around 300,000 names dropped per day..
Yep. I doubt I would be trying to acquire something at auction though.
ukdomainauction.png

•••
I thought it is auctioned by SnapNames only, silly me. I backordered all the two letters and so far they wasn't able to get a single one into the auction.

•••
I thought it is auctioned by SnapNames only, silly me. I backordered all the two letters and so far they wasn't able to get a single one into the auction.
Oh wow! I actually had a terrible experience with SnapNames. They're super shady! Super unethical. For backorders, I personally stick to NameJet, GoDaddy, and Pool.

•••
I suspect that the main registrars aren't equipped with the know-how or resources required to beat the hundreds of other UK registrars who are well versed with the .UK systems in order to get in before them. All the names are gone in an instant.

I've been struggling but then I didn't spend a lot of time on the practice drops that took place over the last few weeks. If I had have done I could have refined it a lot more.

•••
I suspect that the main registrars aren't equipped with the know-how or resources required to beat the hundreds of other UK registrars who are well versed with the .UK systems in order to get in before them. All the names are gone in an instant.

I've been struggling but then I didn't spend a lot of time on the practice drops that took place over the last few weeks. If I had have done I could have refined it a lot more.

Would you suggest any UK local backorder registrar, please?

•••
Did anyone use dropped.uk, and if so how did they find out? GoDaddy etc wouldn't win out at anything others would be after tbh.. you would need to register via. all the major ones for that particular domain to have a fighting chance if it's good

•••
Did anyone use dropped.uk, and if so how did they find out? GoDaddy etc wouldn't win out at anything others would be after tbh.. you would need to register via. all the major ones for that particular domain to have a fighting chance if it's good

Dropped is not working, but DomainLore seems to be option.

•••
@wizard Share all of the .UK domains you were able to successfully catch. What service did you use?
No I personally never heard of dropped.uk but I know GoDaddy is listing a bunch of .uk domains in their auction network.
Dropped is not working, but DomainLore seems to be option.
I would have thought GoDaddy would get first dibbs to much because they're the largest domain registrar on the market. More people hold their domains with GoDaddy than with any other service.

•••
@wizard Share all of the .UK domains you were able to successfully catch. What service did you use?

No I personally never heard of dropped.uk but I know GoDaddy is listing a bunch of .uk domains in their auction network.

I would have thought GoDaddy would get first dibbs to much because they're the largest domain registrar on the market. More people hold their domains with GoDaddy than with any other service.

I run my own drop system so i use my own service i caught several one short words names and a few lll.uk so far will list them all and end of week.

•••
I'm only registering one .uk name - its a good one but don't hold out much hope! Rarely go for the .uk and much prefer the .co.uk which is more widely known and still the preferred choice.

•••
•••
I preregistered a bunch with GoDaddy, but they’ve all been canceled and refunded.

•••
I preregistered a bunch with GoDaddy, but they’ve all been canceled and refunded.
Same with all of mine. 10 domains and not one is mine.

•••
Were you able to grab at least one? How many did you pre-register?
Same with all of mine. 10 domains and not one is mine.
Oh wow! Yeah. I see they're holding an auction for a bunch of domains more than one person requested. I was able to grab one, which is cruel.uk

Last edited:
•••
i was able to get one so far

•••
•••
Yeah I used GoDaddy to pre-register a bunch but GoDaddy sent me these error emails because they were unable to capture the domains and just refunded me. So far, every single domain I tried pre-registered was rejected. For two of the domains, they sent an email saying they were unsuccessful with capturing it but then sends me another email with the domain up for auction in their network. Super shady and suspicious.

•••
Hey guys I was able to grab some UKS domains before July 2 but most of them cant be TLD but still they seems to be great. I grabbed some by June 30,31 etc. I found out that way by messing up with go daddy while selecting them at the check out process! They were not pre-register like some Country TLD I tried before. Those domains were right away on my Godaddy portfolio from the very moment I purchased them on June 30 and so. It got me very confused and excited at the same time. Any idea?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back