Dynadot

discuss Two Domains Registered and Sold on Same Day for $4,995 each

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
There were two names that sold on Flippa that looked odd. OnlinePetHub.com and OnlinePetsDirect.com. both closed at $4,995, they were registered on 4/20, listed on 4/20 and sold on 4/20.

This observation is taken from TLDinvestors

What do you think of the flip?
Selling on Flippa the same day of registration for $4,995 each?
Your views?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't look legit to me at first glance. I couldn't see those domains selling for that amount on the same day they were registered. Even with a Flippa premium upgrade. Although, according to TLDInvestors it is legit. I guess it's like he says on the blog, this game really is pure luck! :)

•••
Doesn't look legit to me at first glance. I couldn't see those domains selling for that amount on the same day they were registered. Even with a Flippa premium upgrade. Although, according to TLDInvestors it is legit. I guess it's like he says on the blog, this game really is pure luck! :)

Kevin Fink did confirm the sales were legit.

•••
•••
There were two names that sold on Flippa that looked odd. OnlinePetHub.com and OnlinePetsDirect.com. both closed at $4,995, they were registered on 4/20, listed on 4/20 and sold on 4/20.

This observation is taken from TLDinvestors

What do you think of the flip?
Selling on Flippa the same day of registration for $4,995 each?
Your views?

Brilliant. For $500 Flippa commission, the business would get media coverage on various sites giving them visitors, backlinks and has people talking about them all over the domaining industry.

•••
'Onlinepetsdirect' what a crappy name! Congrats for seller!

p.s. but I can't believe it

•••
@equity78 I think you can't verify it cuz both domains has private whois. imo

•••
So the words of Flippa employees necessarily needs to be equal to the truth?
C'mon.

Publicity stunts happens all the time in this business, what makes Flippa more trustworthy than others?

•••
C'mon.

Publicity stunts happens all the time in this business, what makes Flippa more trustworthy than others?
What makes anyone trustworthy, I read threads here all the time where people say without listing the name that they flipped a handreg for $5,000. Did they ? who knows ?

That can be said about every sale on exchanges too, Sedo says RYB.com sold for $50,000, no one here is going to get a copy of the escrow transaction, people can choose to believe or not to believe, that is true about every transaction.

•••
@equity78 I think you can't verify it cuz both domains has private whois. imo

Well no I don't work for Flippa, but Kevin Fink does, if they got a success fee, then for them that is verified, can someone do that with a friend and spend the money on the commission ? Sure, that can be done, but I would think it would be a different kind of name to pull that publicity stunt, maybe trying to push a certain new extension, etc... Those are random names, would it be publicity for other pet related names ? I don't know the buyer or the seller, I know Flippa's rep said the transactions happened. Everyone chooses who and what they want to believe. Again I don't know if publicity stunt or real transaction, no first hand information on the transaction.

•••
Extraordinarily unlikely, and considering that there are many fake sales reported, not something I would be inclined to believe.

I see nothing that would motivate Flippa to investigate how authentic a sale is, as long as they get their commission.

•••
I personally wouldn't point to the transaction as being fake or a publicity stunt cos with the transaction privatized I see little to gain on the part of Flippa. Its suspicious alright, but I would suspect this was more of people loking for a way for money to change hands without directly linking them- at least not in way that is rather obvious. A far fetched theory but possible.

•••
Smelled like laundry to me as well. If so, the publicity is probably not making them happy.

•••
C'mon.

What can flippa do in this. Lets say you and me become partners over this chat. I sell u buy. (but internally we invest the same into the business and we are partners.)

For flippa, Its simply two registered users doing a transaction. All they can verify is that we are two different individuals.

•••
I am not one to bash without proven facts, but registered and sold on the same day... Jeez, i dunno.

•••
Sounds a little suspicious to me??? You would think they would have an auction running for a few days???

If this is true, then very well done to the seller!!!

•••
I smell turning black money to white.

•••
I personally wouldn't point to the transaction as being fake or a publicity stunt cos with the transaction privatized I see little to gain on the part of Flippa. Its suspicious alright, but I would suspect this was more of people loking for a way for money to change hands without directly linking them- at least not in way that is rather obvious. A far fetched theory but possible.

I think you're on the right track. A single one day flip I could believe, but two?? Get real.

Money laundering or somebody was tasked with acquiring new domains either in or out of house and decided to make some money for themselves.

•••
The preparators didn't think this will be caught.

•••
Flippa is a great market place and I am a member . But surely there are many fake sales and fake bidders.

I recently found an auction which was bid up to more than 3K USD (obviously fake bids , new accounts ) and later ended unsold . It was re listed and sold for $ 300

•••
Bidder id's should be universal on every marketplace, its why NameJet is trusted more, I know Taryn is Frank Schilling if I see crazy bidding patterns, at least I know it is Frank who is doing it.

Transparency is a funny thing, when it is someone else a lot of people clamor for it, when it gives a peek into their trading activity some don't like that so much.

But with the amount of money transacted the business should be grown up enough that there is one bidder id associated with a member and the website knows who that person is. Of course it does not mean no possible scams, but it will start a behavior trend that people can point to, follow and stay away from certain bidders.

•••
The owner likely found a buyer before the auction started. :)

•••
What makes anyone trustworthy, I read threads here all the time where people say without listing the name that they flipped a handreg for $5,000. Did they ? who knows ?

That can be said about every sale on exchanges too, Sedo says RYB.com sold for $50,000, no one here is going to get a copy of the escrow transaction, people can choose to believe or not to believe, that is true about every transaction.

True, however this is a scenario that is "to good to be true" for the seller. Some of the comments shared on your blog made it even more obvious. And as many already stated it necessarily don't have to be Flippa who setted this up. But I find it weird that they payed for the upgrade if so.

•••
Or the seller started the auction before owning the domains and then hand registered them.

I'm always getting emails from scammers who don't even own the domains they are pumping.

•••
Or the seller started the auction before owning the domains and then hand registered them.

I'm always getting emails from scammers who don't even own the domains they are pumping.

You must verify your ownership prior to listing on Flippa.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back