Dynadot

.tv .TV domain sales...are they bought for websites with VIDEO content or for YouTube creators?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vravis9

Top Member
Impact
Hi...

I wanted to know and understand the sold domains in .TV extension.

I am wondering were these names bought by end users (assuming apart from domain investors) are for the purpose of websites mainly focused on VIDEO content and services or these names were bought by YouTube creatives who produce high quality video content in all sorts of niches....and this content is consumed by millions of audience.

I want to understand the main purpose the .TV is being used...

We can not judge by few examples or own assumptions...so I am inviting @Ammudamus and @donnied79 to share their experience and general observations from numerous sales in .TV names.

It gives great insight without a doubt for all the members...when established members write thoughts about a specific niche.

Please other members who already sold names in .TV feel free to add your opinions...perhaps a little look at your sold names can give us full picture...if the site is already developed.

P.S.: Can you share any tips on how to get good names and how to get .TV names at lowest possible prices...I always saw .TV offered above $ 25.

Thanks,
Ravi.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally think the days of connecting .TVs to just video content are gone. End users and resellers are buying them for whatever they feel like. In other words, it doesn't necessarily have to do with something video centric. I have seen a trend of names that are brandables selling and even high generics.

For buyers, they usually are inbound through any of the sales platforms, but the most are from Uniregistry. They have improved their lead quality, but don't expect tons of end users to come in. You will get the tire kickers for sure. I have also done outbound marketing where I have sold lots of names to specific buyers. For example, short .TVs to lots of Chinese buyers. A lot of it is timing also.

I mentioned in a previous post that when I purchase .TV, I expect to get nothing for 5 years. Sets expectations and I know what my hard cost is and I am ok with that. Renewals are usually $23-24 a year. I have used Dynadot for quite some time and am happy with their platform personally. Legacy premiums are getting less and less, which serves a great opportunity if you can handle the upfront premium fee. I do not own anything with premium renewals as they serve as a large carrying cost and impediment when talking to buyers.

In terms of what buyers do, it's not really something I care about. Whether they develop or not, it's their choice. As long as there is ROI, I am cool. There are enough .com properties that aren't developed and end users are paying massive dollars. Does that mean .com is not a good extension? Obviously not.

Last but not least, I have done an analysis of trying to see what other extensions would be viable and I simply can't find anything with better ROI than .TV. My portfolio is running on it's own as long as I can manage the renewal costs.

Hope this helps. I am still learning after 14 years in the space.

A

Last edited:
•••
@Ammudamus Thanks for your inputs.

You shared some good points here.

Frankly, I always thought the name should be somehow connected to video content to get a buyer.

I think it is because of the assumption of Television !!

And as you mentioned this has been a trend in starting but now good keyword can attract a potential buyer...that shows expansion and popularity of the .TV

I believe it is wise to estimate an investment of $ 100+ (in renewals) for a name to give returns with good number.

surprised to see that you got results in outbound too.

You are generous in sharing your insights...your experience adds great value to your words.

I believe this thread can be continued for one of a kind sales details...and everyone can share their experience here. like case studies.

Thanks,
Ravi.

•••
@Ammudamus Thanks for your inputs.

You shared some good points here.

Frankly, I always thought the name should be somehow connected to video content to get a buyer.

I think it is because of the assumption of Television !!

And as you mentioned this has been a trend in starting but now good keyword can attract a potential buyer...that shows expansion and popularity of the .TV

I believe it is wise to estimate an investment of $ 100+ (in renewals) for a name to give returns with good number.

surprised to see that you got results in outbound too.

You are generous in sharing your insights...your experience adds great value to your words.

I believe this thread can be continued for one of a kind sales details...and everyone can share their experience here. like case studies.

Thanks,
Ravi.
In as much as .TV might be used for video content by most end users out there, don't forget that first and foremost .TV is a cctld

•••
In as much as .TV might be used for video content by most end users out there, don't forget that first and foremost .TV is a cctld

Of course it is !!

I am just mentioning people are hard wired to think TV as related to Television.

Yes it is a ccTLD actually it is a repurposed ccTLD to be precise...that explains the usage and popularity of the name.

Anyways the thread is about to discuss the possible usage of the sold names...
Understanding from the sellers thoughts.

Doesn't really matter if it is ccTLD / legacy TLD...
It's about completed sales!

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
My statement was in response to your question in the heading.

Many citizens of that country might as well prefer .TV (being their cctld) to the .com equivalent, similar to what is obtainable in other countries like Germany, Australia, South Africa, Canada etc.

Hence, websites owned by individuals and businesses in Tuvalu don't necessarily have to be geared towards video content like the rest of the world. To them, .TV is simply their tld.

Having said that, I must say I do love the .TV extension and it's one I can actually see myself gladly using for a video or game brand or project without bemoaning the fact that I don't have the .com

Last edited:
•••
My statement was in reply to your question in the heading.

Many citizens of that country might as well prefer .TV (being their cctld) to the .com equivalent, similar to what is obtainable in other countries like Germany, Australia, South Africa, Canada etc.

Hence, websites owned by individuals and businesses in Tuvalu don't necessarily have to be geared towards video content like the rest of the world. To them, .TV is simply their tld.

Having said that, I must say I do love the .TV extension and it's one I can actually see myself gladly using for a video or game brand or project without bemoaning the fact that I don't have the .com

I am sorry... I do see your point after reading first line in latest comment..

Yes that is one possibility of being seen as their country's TLD...but I think .TV overcame that long ago...
Another reason could be being very small country and less population.

•••
I agree with everything @Ammudamus said.
I do love .tv because is a Tld that still gives investors a lot of opportunities, but at the same time it's not an easy Tld, because if the quality is not very very good it's nearly impossible to make a sale.
This is the reason why I do own very few 2words.tv and I prefer to pay XXX or X.XXX for a superb keyword than regging some average keyword that will be very hard to sell.
Another thing to be considered is that .tv is awesome for ROI but at the same time is very illiquid, this means that if you decide to sell a super-premium .tv you'll not find a buyer easily.
So don't think to flip a .tv domain or to sell for a decent amount here on NP, because it will be very very hard.

•••
Here is where it may get tricky. My sell through rate is about 0.5% - 1% on my portfolio. With those numbers, can I cover renewals? Depends on what the dollar amount of sales are. With that type of sell through rate, this becomes a volume game. How do you manage volume if renewals can eat up your investment? This is why I started out very small in terms of quantity and tried to see if I could generate ROI to cover renewal costs for a while. Once you get larger dollar amount sales, it becomes house money. Remember, if you reinvest your profit into a domain name it does not mean you wont have to pay taxes on that profit. It's always good to account for that as well.

IMO.

A

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back