IT.COM

advice Try and sell single domain, or package?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kevinp8192

Impact
I have a domain name I bought over 15 years ago. It's a good, short, very meaningful two word name that could be used in business or non-profit. Automated online appraisal systems put them anywhere for 4-5 figures, but I don't put much stock into them. Anyway, my question: when I bought the .com originally, I also bought the same domain with the .org and .net extensions (I've checked recently, and all the other extensions are now gone). Would it be best to try and sell each domain (.com/.org/.net) separately, or would it be better trying to sell them together as a brand (as I originally intended)? Over the years I've had a couple inquiries to sell the .com, but never the other two. Still, they seem to have value. I'm sorry I don't list the domain--I just decided to sell, and I'm a little paranoid. My question is just opinions about selling separately vs. trying to sell all three.

And if it's worth trying to sell all three at once, how would I do that? A broker?

Thanks all in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It might be hard to say without knowing the domain names. Certain .org can hold their own outside of a brand. For instance a dictionary word, state or country name, I would possibly sell separate. It really all depends. Someone more experienced will come along. If all the other extensions are taken, I'm not sure why you're paranoid.

•••
•••
@itlookseasy, thank you so much for the reply...I guess I was hoping it was a common scenario, and maybe there was a general rule. I know when I bought, I was intending to develop for/use all three. I'm only paranoid because I know so little about it all, I'm a huge researcher, and there's SO MUCH contradictory info online--

get a custom appraisal/custom appraisals aren't worth it!
list it yourself/get a broker if you may have a premium domain!

I'm just learning. Not trying to be obtuse or coy about it. I'm just moving deliberately. :xf.wink: And thanks for the welcome!

•••
From what I'm learning, there are not many general rules as far as selling a domain. You're only limited by your own fear, drive, and creativity. I'm sure this is a common scenario. You could try listing on a site like undeveloped, sedo, afternic etc etc.. and write in the description what else is included with the .com? Then you will at least have the domains listed, and can direct traffic to that sales page/pages.

If the names are really good, I'm sure you'll get some offers eventually. Selling a domain (even a really good premium) can sometimes take longer than expected. Patience and perseverance is the key, but getting it into the marketplace is vital. Most of these marketplaces have their own built in escrow service (for a closing fee of usually 15-20%). You can also try finding the end user yourself (Google,LinkedIn?), then reach out through phone or email to see if they're interested. You can use escrow.com to securely transfer the domain/receive funds if for some reason you can't list it in a marketplace, or just direct the end user to a marketplace you have it listed at, and the end user can buy it now or make an offer depending on how you have it set up.

If you search NP for outbound sale, you will find many threads on the topic.

Since you like to research, I recommend avoiding a broker and finding the end user yourself.

Good luck to you!

•••
If you've had in enquirers for the .com in the past, then that's probably all that's of interest. Although offering a com/net/org package can quite often seal a deal when asked about the .com. It's not likely to increase the price. Interesting that you say your term could be suitable for not for profit, So it could work in reverse with the .com and net being used to direct to the .org. without knowing the words it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. there was still some good stuff to be hand regged 15 years ago particularly two word 'short' brandables. but quite often a term can easily start to show its age after that many years, ie No longer captures the business mind-set.
if you want to PM (private message) me the domain. I will give you my honest opinion and do some basic usage and trademark checks (also in a PM) and then your choice if to publish for a wider opinion.

Last edited:
•••
OK, a little more information. First off, I'd like to thank @BaileyUK for his amazing offer above and assistance, which was invaluable--he has a lot of integrity, and really knows his stuff!!! Cheers!!!

So here's where I am now. The domains in question are:

WeAchieve.com
WeAchieve.net
WeAchieve.org
We-Achieve.com

I still am thinking about it more, so now I'm back to deciding on whether to sell at all, and also my original question about the best way to move forward if I do sell: do I list each one separately, or maybe work to try to sell them as a package. I somehow feel in my gut they're worth more together than separate--maybe the two .coms? Maybe approach companies? Or maybe just list them all separately and see what happens. So that's where I am. Any input would definitely be appreciated! But it seems it's up to me to figure out the best path forward, how to put them on the market, find a buyer, etc. Thanks again, Bailey and also to @itlookseasy.

•••
OK, a little more information. First off, I'd like to thank @BaileyUK for his amazing offer above and assistance, which was invaluable--he has a lot of integrity, and really knows his stuff!!! Cheers!!!

So here's where I am now. The domains in question are:

WeAchieve.com
WeAchieve.net
WeAchieve.org
We-Achieve.com

I still am thinking about it more, so now I'm back to deciding on whether to sell at all, and also my original question about the best way to move forward if I do sell: do I list each one separately, or maybe work to try to sell them as a package. I somehow feel in my gut they're worth more together than separate--maybe the two .coms? Maybe approach companies? Or maybe just list them all separately and see what happens. So that's where I am. Any input would definitely be appreciated! But it seems it's up to me to figure out the best path forward, how to put them on the market, find a buyer, etc. Thanks again, Bailey and also to @itlookseasy.
I see this name as more of a fit for the .org. A package sale of the com and org makes sense. Whoever buys it I think would use the org as the main site and redirect the com. The hyphen and the net are worthless in my opinion.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back