IT.COM

question Trustee and ownership

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Giorgino

Impact
Hi guys,

I’d like to reg a domain by registrar that uses a trustee service.

The registrar buy the domain on behalf of the registrant (me), using a trustee based in the extension country.

So the registrant (me) retains the beneficial ownership, but (i suppose) not the legal ownership, that belongs to the registrar.

If it’s the case, can the registrant resell the domain without the registrar permission or he can only uses/develops the domain name?

Maybe the topic could be useful also for the other domainers…

Thx for your support 🤗🤗🤗

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I assume there is some type of TOS that covers this. It is impossible to answer otherwise.

Brad

•••
I don't see what's the reason you have to do this. Or is this just your imagination?
Just let your wife buy the name for you instead and everything will be fine.

•••
I assume there is some type of TOS that covers this. It is impossible to answer otherwise.

Brad
Thx for your tip
I don't see what's the reason you have to do this. Or is this just your imagination?
Just let your wife buy the name for you instead and everything will be fine.
Thank you John! I just talked to my partner..😉

•••
Unless this is some high profile / high quality domain that requires some special catering to your needs, I don't know why you'd need to go down this road. Sounds like a hassle, IMO

Last edited:
•••
Unless this is some high profile / high quality domain that requires some special catering to your needs, I don't know why you'd need to go down this road. Sounds like a hassle, IMO
High quality domain …

•••
High quality domain …
Even if it is...the idea of a trustee buying it, with you having the right to it, but potentially not the legal ownership of it? Sounds a bit dicey to me, IMO

Last edited:
•••
Even if it is...the idea of a trustee buying it, with you having the right to it, but potentially not the legal ownership of it? Sounds a bit dicey to me, IMO
Unless there is a need to do this, for instance you don't meet the citizenship/resident requirements to register a domain, it is pointless and only looking for issues IMO.

For all intents and purposes, the registrant (whoever is listed in WHOIS) owns the rights to the domain.

Under your scenario where is the trustee listed? I assume as the registrant.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Refer dot-io's history in wikipedia.

•••
Who is the registrant listed in the whois? Registrar, trustee or Me? This is the point! I’m asking it to registrar and i also update you!
Thanks Brad!

•••
Who is the registrant listed in the whois? Registrar, trustee or Me? This is the point! I’m asking it to registrar and i also update you!
Thanks Brad!
What extension is it?

Brad

•••
•••
I am not sure what the registry requirements are for that extension. It is possible that you need a trustee if you don't qualify under existing requirements such as citizenship, residency, business location, etc.

I would not use a trustee unless it is required. There is no reason unless you have to.
If you have to, then you don't have much choice.

Brad

•••
High quality domain …
In fairness, there is not much demand for .SK.

NameBio shows (24) reported sales in the last 15 years. There have only been (2) reported sales since 2014.

It is not likely to be a very valuable domain to worry that much about.

Brad

•••
I am not sure what the registry requirements are for that extension. It is possible that you need a trustee if you don't qualify under existing requirements such as citizenship, residency, business location, etc.

I would not use a trustee unless it is required. There is no reason unless you have to.
If you have to, then you don't have much choice.

Brad
Unfortunately i need a trustee. Anyway i’ll try to have a definitive reply from the registrar and i’ll update you ..

Thanks again!

•••
Technically speaking you don't own the name, you lease it.
If you don't renew (pay the rent) you lose the name.

•••
In fairness, there is not much demand for .SK.

NameBio shows (24) reported sales in the last 15 years. There have only been (2) reported sales since 2014.

It is not likely to be a very valuable domain to worry that much about.

Brad
Yes, i know, but it’s perfect for an outbound ..

•••
Either you want to sell domains or lease them a trust sounds like a way to pool money and take it and run. Trust offers no more protection than registrar itself.

Last edited:
•••
This actually is a legit question.. even for all our .de domains..
I'm sure you will have no problem selling the domain.
I have transferred such a domain using the same authcode method we use for regular names, so that's what we will use when we sell the name.

•••
You should be able buy the domain from any other registrar that you will just pay and own the domain without some other legality unless this is like a transfer.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back