Domain Empire

Tried to sell a domain to a business and get called a scammer instead... lol

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Here's the story, I bought a cool domain name via ExpiredDomains that I thought had a lot of potential. I saw a business on facebook dealing with cars called AceGT so I contacted them with this set of messages.

Did I do anything wrong to deserve this? lol I am just confused at how dumb they seem to be.

Me: Hi AceGT, I happen to be the owner of www.acegt.com, I'm wondering if you might be interested in purchasing this premium name to further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard.

This is a very short 5 letter domain that has a lot of strengths associated with it, 2 very short and valuable keywords Ace and GT. It can be very versatile as well since Samsung also has a phone called Ace GT. Thanks for your consideration.

Them: :thumbsup icon: Why Ace Gt other than Samsung

Me: Well basically both these words are highly popular (Ace & GT) and it's not very unlikely that a company, like yours would choose to pick it for a name. Together it means the expert in GT cars which is a good meaning as well.

Them: Sorry. Dont mean to insult. Its as good as i got your Bank cheque book and try to sell it back to you isn't it? Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner.

Them: [Blocked me via facebook]

[I made a new account and followed up.]

Me: I had to make a new account for facebook since you blocked me. Is this how you really do business, block people with genuine intentions without being sure?

And do you happen to know how domain selling works? I own the name via the registrar NameSilo.com . If we agree on a price, I can put it up and use their service to sell it straight away to you instead of you transferring the funds directly to me.

For example, I own another domain called http://www.clubstate.com/ and that's listed for a price which you buy through NameSilo's website.

No big deal if you're not interested at all, I can sell it to someone else or keep the name for my portfolio. [Sent a screenshot of my owned domains in NameSilo Domain Manager]

Them: Its ok. Enjoy your day. Upz for your sales. Ace Gt domain worth a lot. Can sell high.

How business is done does not need your approval boss. Why dont you try this scam on banks? E.g "own" citibank.xxx and try to sell them? Wake up and earn a decent income. Leave us alone. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have offered them their own name, not cool domain (eg some generic term)! That should be enough to expect negative reaction in the first place.

True, I think it's kinda like if you held their name hostage or something right? I did check wayback machine though and it didn't look like they made a site on it before.

In my shoes I saw a good domain that's expiring and I got it to take a chance and sell to people or hold onto it.

Last edited:
•••
I got called a hotshot. haha

•••
•••
A selling point of the domain name is its versatility to be adaptable to many industries not just the car industry, but mobiles, graphic cards as well with the GT label. Why else duh

So you were trying to use the same sales tactics you would use to persuade a fellow domainer to purchase, on this potential end-user .

duh, Not smart at-all

Last edited:
•••
Ain't that the truth. I prefer ANY reply to no reply, which is what I get to 95% of my outbounds. At least you know they actually received it and saw it. :)
That's true. At least 95% outbounds get ignored. The endusers are not well prepared to spend their$$$ on a domain.:xf.frown:

•••
The other thought I had on this was due to their response which also seemed to lack education would have been to make it a bit more comical due to the response.

I would have worded better in first place but given the reaction.
I would have joked it was a 2018 model with low miles only costing $15 for service a year. After delivery you can custom paint your site in one of 16,777,216 different colors. Dealer delivery is handled thrugh Namesilo.

As a salesperson you want to present the offer and then shut up it sells itself if it is right. You encourge them to make an offer. You need not show why the domain has value where are your cards for later this is how you bump up their offer. Do not mention Samsung or any other brand for that matter your selling their brand to them. I can go on about how but you need to think outside the box and plan your negotiation backwards. How did the guy get 30k for a 5L domain he planned the final number to be 30k. Your not that guy....

Any form of unsolicited email is considered spamming. There is no fine lines i have had warnings from telcos and have had to prove I have had already collected permission from subscribers to my sites I fortunatly had records for every complaint now imagine dealing with this is you were actually spamming sending out emails to randoms. That is right that is what we do but we target and target well or perhaps face problems. Huge fines.

Last edited:
•••
Here's the story, I bought a cool domain name via ExpiredDomains that I thought had a lot of potential. I saw a business on facebook dealing with cars called AceGT so I contacted them with this set of messages.

Did I do anything wrong to deserve this? lol I am just confused at how dumb they seem to be.

Me: Hi AceGT, I happen to be the owner of www.acegt.com, I'm wondering if you might be interested in purchasing this premium name to further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard.

This is a very short 5 letter domain that has a lot of strengths associated with it, 2 very short and valuable keywords Ace and GT. It can be very versatile as well since Samsung also has a phone called Ace GT. Thanks for your consideration.

Them: :thumbsup icon: Why Ace Gt other than Samsung

Me: Well basically both these words are highly popular (Ace & GT) and it's not very unlikely that a company, like yours would choose to pick it for a name. Together it means the expert in GT cars which is a good meaning as well.

Them: Sorry. Dont mean to insult. Its as good as i got your Bank cheque book and try to sell it back to you isn't it? Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner.

Them: [Blocked me via facebook]

[I made a new account and followed up.]

Me: I had to make a new account for facebook since you blocked me. Is this how you really do business, block people with genuine intentions without being sure?

And do you happen to know how domain selling works? I own the name via the registrar NameSilo.com . If we agree on a price, I can put it up and use their service to sell it straight away to you instead of you transferring the funds directly to me.

For example, I own another domain called http://www.clubstate.com/ and that's listed for a price which you buy through NameSilo's website.

No big deal if you're not interested at all, I can sell it to someone else or keep the name for my portfolio. [Sent a screenshot of my owned domains in NameSilo Domain Manager]

Them: Its ok. Enjoy your day. Upz for your sales. Ace Gt domain worth a lot. Can sell high.

How business is done does not need your approval boss. Why dont you try this scam on banks? E.g "own" citibank.xxx and try to sell them? Wake up and earn a decent income. Leave us alone. Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't send a message through FB. I also wouldn't tell them they could build their business to a more 'professional standard'. I would be more than a little affronted if a stranger via FB told me how to build my business to a more professional standard.

Every single outbound I send contains a line at the end stating that if they don't respond to my email in reference to the domain they won't receive any further correspondence from me - and they don't, because you can get in trouble for harassment.

•••
Any form of unsolicited email is considered spamming.
There is no fine lines.
i have had warnings from telcos and have had to prove I have had already collected permission from subscribers to my sites
I fortunatly had records for every complaint
now imagine dealing with this
you were actually spamming, sending out emails to randoms.
That is right that is what we do, but we target and target well or perhaps face problems.
Huge fines.

That really should be emphasized and understood, in totality

glad your shared that perspective!

imo….

•••
•••
Copy/paste to your browser:

salesrex.com

problem solved.
This can't be called "problem solved". It's just bypass, but the problem is there. Hire a professional if you don't know how internet works.

•••
For someone giving rude unsolicited professional advice to people over social media, the OP is really thin-skinned to even to hear feedback he asked for. Gets defensive and attacks people that cared enough to spend few minutes of their lives to write the opinion.

•••
This is why i use efty. Down time does not exist
It's a matter of choice. And jettison the illusion: no server has 100% uptime, contrary to the message you're trying to push across.

•••
i only blocked people on fb if they are annoying to me.
also i could have emailed them like this hi im selling this domain, do you want it? i'll quote you back if you reply.

•••
Lol. Is it spamming if someone reached out to me via LinkedIn? And they did not like my offer. Kept messaging back and forth.

I happen to own an exact match domain for a product they just launched.

Lol

Guy tried to low-ball me. I didn't bother to Google the word. It's a single word brandable made up word.

Tells me there are no longer interested. But we all know that's just hardball scare tactics.

So wrote back explaining why it's a mistake.

Then said I'm officially harrassing them.

Lol They reached out to me to request to connect!

And I'm harrassing?

I guess it sucks when someone owns the exact match domain for your product.

Lol

•••
Dude, if someone blocks you, move on. You seem to be harrassing them.

"Park domain does not mean you are the rightful owner."

These set of words they used were very triggering to me, so I had to make a new account to tell them off. They treat me like a fraudster when my intentions were genuine.

I think I got their meaning wrong, maybe they meant I'm not the first owner of it so i'm not the RIGHT owner. I thought they mean I don't own the current domain name.

To further grow your business and brand to a more professional standard is condescending and insulting— wrong choice of words.

Noted for next time.

1) You're not the first owner, they've probably been solicited for this name before. They may have even owned it.

2) It's good to know if the person your chatting with has authority to purchase the domain.

3) You're pitch was too long. Hello, are you interested in AceGT.com? If so, I'll quote a price. Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
the Op is typical spammer, who found out how to send unsolicited emails to unsuspecting victims

then, when rejected, they try other means, get new account, to further harass this victim/

the domain is not premium, it was expired, so how could it be premium

and who writes the number 5, when trying to convince the victim that it's a short domain?

isn't it obvious how many letters it has?

those are things that only mean something to a domainer, not to a potential end-user.

please, please, stop spamming people under the guise of "outbounding"

especially, if you don't know how to communicate in a professional manner.

as @karmaco said "next time, let them come to you"

imo….

So telling businesses of a domain name you own is considered spamming?

Not sure what you're smoking or what you're doing on this forum tbh.

Also 5 letters is short by any means of imagination and is a selling point lol.

•••
Learn from this.

You should have stopped bothering them once they blocked you . THE END.

If you got stuck with a domain that you cant sell to anyone else, well "Welcome to the club !". We have all done it.

I actually like the name AceGT so I bought it not only cause I saw a business for it. I think the potential is there definitely like meaning Pro GT cars or even a new brand of car etc.

He called me a spammer by sending the business a message.

•••
Telling businesses of a domain name you own is a borderline spam, but it happens every day, so majority of people are fine with that.

Opening another profile after they blocked the first one is not spam either, it's plain harassment.

You asked for members' opinion, and it seems everyone agrees on that. Yet you insulted them for telling what you asked for...

If I said you're not a person I'd like to do business with, you'd probably get upset again, but that's reality; you should not ask if you are not prepared to hear.

You just said it, it wasn't really spam but okay your point is I get called spammer and I'm not allowed to defend myself lol

And when you get treated like a scammer when your intentions are good to a business, you aren't allowed to send them another email to correct them because you're harassing them. Oh no, they must have gotten so butthurt.

Last edited:
•••
No - They blocked you on Facebook and you then set up another account!

Do you not see how you come across in this scenario? Looks to me like a spoilt, arrogant kid trying to get the last word.... I have quoted a line from your second Facebook account below

"And do you happen to know how domain selling works?

I read through this thread before my original post and came to my conclusion based on what you posted and your additonal comments

Specifically to this line : "the Op is typical spammer, who found out how to send unsolicited emails to unsuspecting victims"

Do you not see the flaw in your logic

•••
•••
•••
You should of stopped as soon as you got blocked you sounded desperate you wont get far like that !

•••
How not to sell a domain, mention all the bad vibes that come with that domain ownership. What did you include that observation for ? Did you think it would incite some sort of urgency in the potential client

I'm still trying to figure out why on earth someone would use facebook to contact a potential client, Surely a few background checks should have thrown-up the business email address. Even if a facebook page states "contact us" that generally refers to social chat around their products and services. Not Businesses selling products or Billing.

In your reply posts your clearly showing your lack of respect and professionalism, why would any potential purchaser feel you have the grounding to even progress a transaction in a professional manner

A selling point of the domain name is its versatility to be adaptable to many industries not just the car industry, but mobiles, graphic cards as well with the GT label. Why else duh

•••
Outbound is part of the business. Some might label it grey hat domaining but it is part of the process.

Key points from this (IMO):
  • Some portfolio domains are going to be flops. Just drop them on move on.
  • You're targeting the wrong kind of businesses. Sole and small business will not pay for a domain.
  • Look for domains with multiple end-users. Not only do you get more potential buyers, you will collect broader domains that look less like 'squatting'.

Thanks!

•••
Sorry you are getting roasted @cixxy !!

Looks like you are open to learning. Good luck

It was really helpful to get advice after trying my first outbound sale. No one can learn without making mistakes and It's not like I regret it or anything, I love the domain name anyway. About the roasting, I don't care for my haters lol they can go on and hate <3 Not here to please everyone.

Wait until someone buys the name of you, and goes and tries to sell it to the same people you just did (n)

Gold.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back