Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I had thought about this a couple years ago but then never posted about it, but now I have had an actual real life scenario where my initial thoughts made sense.

A situation came up with a couple members here, I know well, I thought they were both at least amicable if not friendly. The one member asked me if I had heard from the other and if they were ok? He mentioned that he replied to the person a little while back in a couple of threads but never got a reply.

So today I happened to mention to the second member, that so and so had been asking about him, and that he never replied to the guy on Namepros.

He replied, "I have that S.O.B. on ignore at Namepros can't see his post, I hate his guts!"

So does it make sense for members to know who is ignoring them? Because sometimes people think they are communicating with someone and they don't know they are being ignored.

I understand in this hypersensitive world where FB and Twitter only have likes and not also dislikes, and you can mute someone instead on block them because you don't want them to know you don't like them on Twitter, this is the preferred method.

But I think it would be good to know who is ignoring you, especially when people thought they were friendly with someone.

Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We had a similar question come up recently where a member asked whether someone on their ignore list would be able to send them a direct message. A moderator ran a test, and it appears that if you are on someone's ignore list, the "Send a Direct Message" link will not be visible to you. While it's possible for that to happen for another reason (e.g., the member's privacy settings), it's also a way to determine if someone might have you on ignore.

We hope that helps a little.

•••
Well I guess what I am asking is can you code something where if I clicked Eric Lyon's profile, it would say this member has put you on ignore?

•••
Some people become abusive or vindictive when they find out they are ignored (watch "Fatal Attraction"), so I think its better they dont know.

•••
^ This. I think this is a case of ignorance is bliss :)

•••
I guess all end user-buyers ignore me :xf.grin:

•••
We had a similar question come up recently where a member asked whether someone on their ignore list would be able to send them a direct message. A moderator ran a test, and it appears that if you are on someone's ignore list, the "Send a Direct Message" link will not be visible to you. While it's possible for that to happen for another reason (e.g., the member's privacy settings), it's also a way to determine if someone might have you on ignore.

that was my question :)
ty for running tests.

glad the answer turned out to be what it was.

as I get spammed now and then with forsale offers from new members.. just for having posted some reply to some question of theirs on some thread.. some nerve huh? I know!

of course, this pm disable feature is also useful in whatever other event or other reason you wish to ignore someone.

sadly, I must disagree with OP here and I am not in favor of making it known who is ignoring someone. among other things, it may encourage the person being ignored to try and find ways (maliciously or not) to contact you. and if that is what you do not wish to happen by ignoring them in first place, then your wish should be respected.

plus as was just confirmed by mods, disabling PM feature for ignored people, can be solid indication that communication from them is not desired by someone. more than enough of an indication as far as I am concerned.

so....its a NO vote from me. jmo.

that being said @Support Team what I do wish to see done one day is for np to disable/disregard the ignore list of every member.. once they enter the marketplace ... it can create quite the chaos on the thread you want to bid on, if some of the bidding members are also on your ignore list.

cheers

Last edited:
•••
I’m a fairly new here and certainly haven’t “ignored” anyone and hopefully haven’t annoyed anyone enough to be ignored. However I don’t think showing that one user is ignoring another is a great solution.

This is a great, informative group but it’s still online and, while I’m sure bonds are built over time, it’s always hard to know exactly who is behind the keyboard.

If I were to reccomend one tweak it would actually be in the opposite direction. Instead of not showing the DM option on the ignorerers profile, personally I would prefer it did show the normal DM option and that the messages area have a “spam/ filtered” area where messages from ignored users can be sent. That being said not sure if it is worth the time and effort to implement it.

•••
Opinions appear to be split on this, so the current functionality may be best: you can tell if someone may have you on ignore but you can't be sure, because they could also have their privacy settings configured to only accept direct messages from a specific list of members.

that being said @Support Team what I do wish to see done one day is for np to disable/disregard the ignore list of every member.. once they enter the marketplace ... it can create quite the chaos on the thread you want to bid on, if some of the bidding members are also on your ignore list.
It might help if we make the "Show Ignored Content" indicator on those threads more visible, which allows you to view all of your ignored content.

Related: https://www.namepros.com/threads/disable-the-ignore-list-in-the-marketplace.1126560/

Last edited:
•••
It might help if we make the "Show Ignored Content" indicator on those threads more visible, which allows you to view all of your ignored content.

that's good idea! heck you can make that link in triple the font.. bold and flashing in red too! why not! hard to miss then! and you definitely do not want to miss it.. else its chaos.

but all in all, just curtious whether its really so hard to put a variable into code that essentially says display all messages in marketplaces forums with all contents by all members and with no regard for ingnore lists? sounds to me like this does not even need to be done based on individual member accounts or ignore lists.. and it'd be just a general rule for all.. to display all content .. ignored or not?

ty

•••
Opinions appear to be split on this, so the current functionality may be best: you can tell if someone may have you on ignore but you can't be sure, because they could also have their privacy settings configured to only accept direct messages from a specific list of members.

Thanks, I passed along the no pm option more than likely ignored to the original guy that messaged me, he told me he would deal with the member off namepros through email. Thanks for the info.

•••
I don't care who ignores me :xf.smile:
There are many good people on the Namepros.(y)
but haters gonna hate.

•••

So this is good to know. So basically I can't direct message somebody who has me on ignore? Which makes sense. You put somebody on ignore, they shouldn't be able to message you.

•••
We had a similar question come up recently where a member asked whether someone on their ignore list would be able to send them a direct message. A moderator ran a test, and it appears that if you are on someone's ignore list, the "Send a Direct Message" link will not be visible to you.
But you can still create a new PM and add the recipients manually. Not sure the message would go through. But I guess it would.

•••
The forum software we use decides how this functionality works, so please feel free to share any further suggestions and thoughts with them:
  • XenForo.com
Thanks.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back