NameSilo

status-resolved Lack Of Transparency - Multiple Business Accounts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Since my post was deleted, this thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/someone-is-trying-to-spread-lies-about-me.1057375/

"Since some people accuse others of doing illegal things simply because they have multiple accounts, we aren't going to contribute to that type of irresponsible behavior by making it easier for them to find innocent targets."

Why do you want to keep multiple business accounts secret? How is that not a lack of transparency? People can open unlimited business accounts with members having no clue they're connected.

Why not just do the suggestion from the other thread?

"Perhaps namepros should just offer 'bolt ons' where you get 6 auction listings, but for double the money you get 12 and triple you get 18 or something. Could call them 'Business Account', 'Business Diamond' and 'Business Platinum' or something."

Your current setup invites suspicion and lacks transparency.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for following the rules and posting this where it belongs. We appreciate when members follow the rules.

"Perhaps namepros should just offer 'bolt ons' where you get 6 auction listings, but for double the money you get 12 and triple you get 18 or something. Could call them 'Business Account', 'Business Diamond' and 'Business Platinum' or something."
Here's my reply from the other thread:
Excellent idea, but a good deal of work to setup unfortunately. Eventually ;)

Both options invite suspicion: showing and not showing connected accounts. The difference is one is being irresponsible and the other is being responsible.

It may be counterintuitive, but irresponsible transparency can be more harmful than a lack of transparency. Certain types of information that are shared publicly will inevitably be used improperly and irresponsibly, as we saw in the thread you linked to, and that can cause more harm.

As an example, we don't show anyone's email address either. That lacks transparency, but it would be irresponsible to share it. We also don't share anyone's IP address. Again, it would be irresponsible if we did.

Hundreds of our members would show up under "Matched accounts" based on an IP address when they attend NamesCon (Or any similar event), because all users would share the same hotel wireless IP address and "match". Similar issues arise in schools, workplaces, certain countries, etc. Our trained team knows how to tell the difference and use that "match" information responsibly. Untrained users might ignorantly/inaccurately claim shill bidding and collusion, which could tarnish their own reputation, the reputation of those they accuse, and worse.

It would be irresponsible to share that information with users who aren't properly trained to interpret it and use it in an investigation. Our team is trained and they have access to it.

There is a lot of information that isn't shared publicly about user accounts, and it is up to each service provider to establish those guidelines and weigh the pros and cons. You can learn more about our privacy policy here: https://www.namepros.com/pages/terms/#privacy

Hope that helps,

•••
Thanks for following the rules and posting this where it belongs. We appreciate when members follow the rules.

I would appreciate it if that was applied equally. I still can't figure out how my post was off topic and deleted, when it was the same as all the others. And those aren't deleted.

What's the difference between me talking about multiple accounts and others talking about multiple accounts?

•••
I would appreciate it if that was applied equally. I still can't figure out how my post was off topic and deleted, when it was the same as all the others. And those aren't deleted.

What's the difference between me talking about multiple accounts and others talking about multiple accounts?
Please feel free to report the other off-topic posts. I haven't had time to go back through and clean up the rest of the thread. I just responded and then cleaned up any new posts so that the thread could get back on track. Typically, it's easier and less time consuming for us to actively keep it on track than to go back and clean it up completely. However, if you report them, a moderator will definitely be able to do that. I just haven't had a chance myself. Sorry about that,

•••
I'm not going to report your own posts. My post was literally quoting yours and responding to it (same one above), but it was deleted for being off topic. That makes no sense.

Doesn't matter, not a biggie.

•••
Since my post was deleted, this thread - https://www.namepros.com/threads/someone-is-trying-to-spread-lies-about-me.1057375/

"Since some people accuse others of doing illegal things simply because they have multiple accounts, we aren't going to contribute to that type of irresponsible behavior by making it easier for them to find innocent targets."

Why do you want to keep multiple business accounts secret? How is that not a lack of transparency? People can open unlimited business accounts with members having no clue they're connected.

I said this years ago, multiple accounts fine, but every member should know your other aliases by hitting a button on your profile.

•••
I'm not going to report your own posts. My post was literally quoting yours and responding to it (same one above), but it was deleted for being off topic. That makes no sense.
It makes sense if you think about it from our shoes. It takes less time to respond and then tell everyone to follow the rules than it would take to delete/move content to a new thread and then respond. We have enough on our plate and it's not vital/practical for us to clean up every thread to perfection. What's more important is that we get it back on track and if we feel that something needs to be responded to in order to provide clarity on issues raised, then we may respond too (Which you're correct, is also off topic). It's a "here is the line of off topic posts, no more after this" post. It's not uncommon for us to do that rather than try to clean up the entire thread, because it's not the best use of our time to clean it up perfectly when we can simply post and get it back on track from that point forward.

I said this years ago, multiple accounts fine, but every member should know your other aliases by hitting a button on your profile.
Business Accounts don't send us a list of their accounts. The matches are based off of IP address and other information. I posted why sharing those matches would cause more harm than good. It sounds good in theory but it's not appropriate information for untrained investigators to review.

Hope that helps,

•••
Business Accounts don't send us a list of their accounts. The matches are based off of IP address and other information. I posted why sharing those matches would cause more harm than good. It sounds good in theory but it's not appropriate information for untrained investigators to review.

I read it and sorry I don't agree, never agreed. If one account is talking about the merits of investing in a certain niche and then 4 other accounts all chime in with support of that niche investment. There are many new investors who might think wow, 5 different accounts were positive on buying tm domains, or NN.fyi.

Oh and people are going to make their investigations, and make accusations whether trained or not, those horses have left the barn.

•••
Excellent points. We don't want to contribute to the confirmation bias of untrained investigator/accusers/witchhunts, but at the same time, we'd of course welcome the help of more community-based oversight/investigations and the benefits that come from that collaboration. The best solution likely hasn't been thought of yet, but we're always open to ideas. :)

Thanks for the feedback,

•••
Excellent points. We don't want to contribute to the confirmation bias of untrained investigator/accusers/witchhunts, but at the same time, we'd of course welcome the help of more community-based oversight/investigations and the benefits that come from that collaboration. The best solution likely hasn't been thought of yet, but we're always open to ideas. :)

Thanks for the feedback,

I realize you have a hard job, I just think maybe something would let people know, maybe if you didn't even say the names but a little badge, "This member has multiple accounts"

•••
We don't want to contribute to the confirmation bias of untrained investigator/accusers/witchhunts

What is the difference between a trained and untrained domain/shill bidding investigator? Are there certified standards? I assume trained means been taught a detection method, given proprietary resources/data, and then using experience, conducts an audit?

we'd of course welcome the help of more community-based oversight/investigations and the benefits that come from that collaboration

What's to stop a community-based investigation from becoming a witch pursuit thing? Some have called the bidding on your own names at NJ thread a witch hunt. Would you refer to that as a community-based investigation, and if so, would you classify it as a witch hunt?

The best solution likely hasn't been thought of yet, but we're always open to ideas. :)

Does this mean we get to have a discussion about best practices for shill detection, auction integrity, and community-based investigations? Awesome!

@Eric Lyon - why do you think community lead investigations occur? Could it be that some are unclear if machine based detection systems are doing their job? Has anything nefarious ever slipped through the cracks before... If it got through once, could it get through again...Really, I think these community lead investigations ultimately occur because people want to help. And yes, sometimes accusations turn into a witch pursuit thing, when done by inexperienced investigators with limited resources, but sometimes they yield real results that are baffling as to how it ever slipped through the cracks in the first place -- especially given the assumption that machine based systems are supposed to be in place to prevent and/or detect such occurrences.

Why do you think the accusation linked in OP occurred? Do you acknowledge the confusion that can come when a system is in place that encourages members to open up multiple accounts, and that same system doesn't publicly alert which accounts are owned by the same person? I acknowledge that better communication could have been exercised. I think details are important, just as much as open communication. And without good communication, details can be hard to find, if not impossible with limited resources. @BrandBoogie thus far IMO has been very forthcoming with everything, and while I agree it is unfortunate to get acquainted under these circumstances, I think some very good lessons, and greater understanding can come from this.

Last edited:
•••
What is the difference between a trained and untrained domain/shill bidding investigator? Are there certified standards? I assume trained means been taught a detection method, given proprietary resources/data, and then using experience, conducts an audit?
Untrained investigators do not know how to determine based off of the "Matched accounts" data if the person is a real match or using the same IP address for another reason (examples listed here). If someone is not properly trained or experienced, then they can't detect, lookup, or investigate whether that was the case (Not the same person and may not even know each other) or it was a real match (Same person) at any dependable degree of accuracy.

Some have called the bidding on your own names at NJ thread a witch hunt. Would you refer to that as a community-based investigation, and if so, would you classify it as a witch hunt?
I'm not going to take the bait. Everyone can form their own opinion on these things.

What's to stop a community-based investigation from becoming a witch pursuit thing?
If you know how to stop a community investigation from turning into a witchhunt, do share. ;)

why do you think community lead investigations occur?
There are many reasons but the only one we care about is when they want to help. We greatly appreciate that help when it comes to our service. This is an open community and it works best when we all look out for one another.

Community-based investigations are most valuable to NamePros when they detect things that we've missed in our marketplace and help alert us to them. The problem is when you give an untrained investigator a weak signal (Multiple accounts) that they misinterpret to be suspicious (Which it is not in and of itself) and then they search for any small detail to confirm their bias that they're searching for (Lookup "confirmation bias"). That leads to issues where an outdated whois record was enough for an untrained investigator to think they had caught something and make an accusation based on it. Far more often, "matched account" would be plenty for people to start making incorrect accusations and causing far more harm than good because they don't know what they're doing and they don't know what the information actually means (It doesn't mean they're the same person, it just means they have used the same IP. There are many reasons for two people who don't know each other to have used the same IP).

In reality, it is highly unlikely that someone would create multiple Business Accounts to commit any sort of fraud. They would be giving us more information about themselves by doing so than if they just created free accounts. This is all basic stuff that a trained investigator understands, and while we could try to train the community on it, there will always be a large portion of users who will not read it and will jump to conclusions of their own from seeing "Matched account" and their conclusions will be wrong almost every time unfortunately.

Could it be that some are unclear if machine based detection systems are doing their job?
Machines aren't going to replace human eyes anytime soon. Nothing beats a community of people investigating. However, that doesn't mean they should be armed with information that they don't understand how to use. That wouldn't lead to anything helpful, most of the time.

Does this mean we get to have a discussion about best practices for shill detection, auction integrity, and community-based investigations?
Ya, but a new thread should be started for that so that the topic of the thread is clear and others that want to contribute can do so. Members aren't going to expect that to be the topic of this thread and that means it needs to be in another thread.

Thanks,

•••
I'm not going to take the bait. Everyone can form their own opinion on these things.

Can I start a thread [with a poll] asking for the communities opinion? I really want to know on what basis that thread could be accurately labeled a witch hunt. I thought it was a successful community based investigation, and if it wasn't, then I think it's important to hear the reasons for why it could have been considered a witch pursuit thing. Frankly, I think if something is called a witch hunt, it should be taken just as serious as an accusation of somebody bidding on their own name. Especially when findings from an alleged witch hunt produce findings of sellers bidding on their own auctions. Most would hope, or assume an established domain auction site would have instilled clear policies, and prevented the system from allowing such bids in the first place.

[strangely the video, and lyrics is on topic]

If you know how to stop a community investigation from turning into a witchhunt, do share. ;)

How can you stop fake news? Does it require the President [or influential people] to stop calling fact checked news, fake news? What I mean, is if something is a witch hunt, then it needs to be explained how, and why. Otherwise, when you cry witch hunt, and a witch hunt didn't actually take place, it starts to sound a lot like calls of fake news. And when you call real news, fake news, this can lead to uninformed mobs taking sides, and at times coerce some through rage or frustration into making premature allegation's. But surely the President, since he has access to a vast more knowledge than the press, he knows more than the press, and as such, can call the news fake, because he is of an elevated, and more informed understanding?

Ya, but a new thread should be started for that so that the topic of the thread is clear and others that want to contribute can do so. Users aren't going to expect that to be the topic of this thread and that means it needs to be in another thread.

In all seriousness, I think a good place to start is transparency, and communication. Nobody is asking for IP Addresses to be shared. Anyways, when a new thread is started, I will extensively elaborate my position there.

Last edited:
•••
I hope I've made it clear what I meant by witchhunt:
The problem is when you give an untrained investigator a weak signal (Multiple accounts) that they misinterpret to be suspicious (Which it is not in and of itself) and then they search for any small detail to confirm their bias that they're searching for (Lookup "confirmation bias"). That leads to issues where an outdated whois record was enough for an untrained investigator to think they had caught something and make an accusation based on it.
What others mean or how they use it is not for me to say.

Nobody is asking for IP Addresses to be shared.
Matched accounts are based partially on IP addresses, but I'm not talking about sharing actual IPs with this hypothetical public "Matched accounts" feature. I just want to make sure it's clear that sharing IP addresses is not part of what I've been explaining.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
•••
I hope I've made it clear what I meant by witchhunt:

You did. Sorry, witchhunt, and some peoples accusations of such have been a buzz word for me as of late.

Last edited:
•••
What about stopping the same person from posting in the same thread with another account?
Off the top off my head I cannot think of a problem to this, and would resolve some of the problems mentioned.

•••
I might have a very easy solution to this....

Eric has stated multiple times they track people with more than one account, in fact they close the non business duplicate accounts.

Suggestion....

Simply prevent the same account holder from posting under more than one name per topic. Write a script, if the IP address (or whatever else you track) is already used in the topic then prevent the poster from posting with a different account. The poster is free to open another topic but cannot have influence in a single topic under multiple accounts.

Somehow I can't help but agree with some of the posters that one person should not be able to influence a topic under multiple identities.

•••
What about stopping the same person from posting in the same thread with another account?
Off the top off my head I cannot think of a problem to this, and would resolve some of the problems mentioned.
I might have a very easy solution to this....

Eric has stated multiple times they track people with more than one account, in fact they close the non business duplicate accounts.

Suggestion....

Simply prevent the same account holder from posting under more than one name per topic. Write a script, if the IP address (or whatever else you track) is already used in the topic then prevent the poster from posting with a different account. The poster is free to open another topic but cannot have influence in a single topic under multiple accounts.

Somehow I can't help but agree with some of the posters that one person should not be able to influence a topic under multiple identities.
Excellent suggestion! I believe you both made the same suggestion and it's a good one.

The difficult part will be if "Joe" and "Tom" both work at XYZ and use an XYZ account for company matters and then their personal accounts for giving advice to domainers, then Joe and Tom would never be able to participate in the same thread just because they work for XYZ and have been identified as linked to another account.

Thanks for brainstorming with us,

•••
The difficult part will be if "Joe" and "Tom" both work at XYZ and use an XYZ account for company matters and then their personal accounts for giving advice to domainers, then Joe and Tom would never be able to participate in the same thread just because they work for XYZ and have been identified as linked to another account.
Hmm that's a good point. Tho, not knowing how you manage relationships between business and personal and with single and multiple user per business etc, it's hard to think of a resolve for that one :(

Also, allowing certain scenarios through means you create a way for people to do the thing you're trying to stop in the first place.

Sounds like this might be too much complexity for the benefit it returns.

•••
No good can come of two personas participating in one thread, especially if the fact that they are one and the same person is not known to the other members. Using two or more personas can be used to change the theme of a thread.

ie:

stopmommy registrar is called out for doing something wrong

stopmommy replies and makes up an excuse

members call stopmommy out

persona 2 comes forward to defend actions of stopmommy

possible persona 3 comes forward

next member sees two comments by other members defending actions of stopmommy and thinks twice about posting their own opinions on it.

It's a big board, I personally don't think two personas need to comment in the same topic.

•••
It's a big board, I personally don't think two personas need to comment in the same topic.
I will see about creating a rule on it, but for the reasons I previously explained, we wouldn't be able to easily automate it. It'll come down to staff and members catching it so that we can enforce the rule.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back