IT.COM

Transfer lock/60 day rule question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gazzafat

Established Member
Impact
I know that there's a rule in place for a transfer lock/60 day rule,

My question is, does this only apply to new domains that have just been created or does this apply to all domains, that there must be a 60 day waiting period between registrars?

And if the first is true, this is a completely new domain, does that mean we should not be selling until the 60 day period is over?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It applies to new registrations. And also to inter-registrar transfers.
But this is for gTLDs. ccTLDs have different rules and generally have no such limitation.

If you want to sell a newly-registered .com, you can still push it to another user account at the same registrar. This is less convenient for the buyer, if they happen to have a favorite registrar other than yours.

•••
I just checked with Sedo and they said it's okay to list a domain within the 60 day period and they can advise the buyer to create an account with the same registrar.

But this is for gTLDs. ccTLDs have different rules and generally have no such limitation.

If you want to sell a newly-registered .com, you can still push it to another user account at the same registrar. This is less convenient for the buyer, if they happen to have a favorite registrar other than yours.

•••
@Kate or anyone else have you ever sold a domain within the 60 day lock period and had to facilitate this? I have read that the buyer cannot back out once they have paid, so therefore is there a way to manage this properly, like set a note in advance, or would you say it's the responsibility of the buyer to do their due dilligence?

•••
It is unlikely that somebody will make an offer on a newly-registered domain, especially within the first two months. So this is seldom a problem. Also, the buyer might want to keep the domain at the same registrar (especially when it's godaddy).

•••
going to have to bump this thread, how about if im reaching to end users for my newly registered domains? if they are interested, and would like to buy the domain name to (1) set up a website or (2) replace existing domain name of their website, would this be very difficult on their part? ie having to sign up for my registar that I used or problems that might surface when replacing domain names on their current web hosting server

•••
  1. 60 day lock occurs when whois is changed - particularly registrant information. So, you can change the administrative data and not get into this lock.
  2. If you buy a domain names newly, its locked
  3. If you buy an aged domain, its locked
  4. However, this lock varies from one provider to another.
  5. On godaddy this lock can be removed by sending a list of domains , to review60 and your identification. This maybe easier, if you are a company that buys and sells domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back