NameSilo

Trademarked names - what can you do with them?

Located in Legal Discussion, started by jgman1, Feb 23, 2017

Replies:
Views:

1. jgman1

jgman1 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi All,

Is there anything you can do with a domain name that is a trademarked term? For instance, if you owned a domain with a celebrity's name, could you legally make a fan site or a news site about that individual? Or is pretty much every use relating to that celebrite off-limits?

Thanks!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Fan site: OK
    But if you can't monetize it, there is no upside. You can run a fan site as a hobby but probably not as a business.

3. jgman1

jgman1 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Oh, so if I put up an automated news site that just pulls related articles from other sites that could be fine, but I wouldn't be able to put google ads on the site?

Thanks for the help!

4. Mark White

Mark White Established Member

If I put a fan site up with no monetization, the trademark owner may file and take the domain. the chances of the trademark owner making an offer to buy are next to none, Some names are so diluted (very weak) it won't make a difference.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  5. wayne wooldridge

wayne wooldridge Top Contributor VIP

Not worth the effort, unless making a fan-site is your thing. If you're lucky, you paid reg fee and realized your mistake in time and grace delete is still an option. Otherwise, you might as well just delete it and pretend it never happened....

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice