Dynadot

Trademarked names - what can you do with them?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

Is there anything you can do with a domain name that is a trademarked term? For instance, if you owned a domain with a celebrity's name, could you legally make a fan site or a news site about that individual? Or is pretty much every use relating to that celebrite off-limits?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fan site: OK
But if you can't monetize it, there is no upside. You can run a fan site as a hobby but probably not as a business.

•••
Oh, so if I put up an automated news site that just pulls related articles from other sites that could be fine, but I wouldn't be able to put google ads on the site?

Thanks for the help!

•••
If I put a fan site up with no monetization, the trademark owner may file and take the domain. the chances of the trademark owner making an offer to buy are next to none, Some names are so diluted (very weak) it won't make a difference.

Last edited:
•••
Not worth the effort, unless making a fan-site is your thing. If you're lucky, you paid reg fee and realized your mistake in time and grace delete is still an option. Otherwise, you might as well just delete it and pretend it never happened....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back