IT.COM

TradeMark Issue?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi-
So read a few threads about this already, but still not very clear when it's not right to register a trademarked name.
For example, regarding sports team, I would like to register a domain, to promote the team, etc.

In almost every case, the team name is a registered trademark.

Can I register a domain with the team name?

I fan clubs, forums, all the time using such names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I was trying to get someone to provide a positive response when it comes to trademarks.. lol ..

All I was reading was, no, don't register. Don't do it. Not in your best interest. If that's really true, then how are people getting away with it? Just lucky?

•••
•••
Is your true intention to sell it? Don't bother. It is not worth it.

What do you mean by "promote the team?" Are you only talking about a fan site, and not profiting off the mark unfairly? I'm not a lawyer and don't know exactly what you want to register and do, but it might be fair use.

Might still not be worth it though. The sports team could be overprotective, and could make you regret it depending on your tolerance for stress.

•••
I was trying to get someone to provide a positive response when it comes to trademarks.. lol ..

All I was reading was, no, don't register. Don't do it. Not in your best interest. If that's really true, then how are people getting away with it? Just lucky?

Did I get this right: You want to cybersquat/infringe someone's trademark and you're asking for tips and tricks? :)

•••
Did I get this right: You want to cybersquat/infringe someone's trademark and you're asking for tips and tricks? :)
Lol :laugh:

•••
I don't want to cybersquat. I would like to take the domain and make an affiliate site out of it. If there is potential to sell the domain in the long run, sure. but for now, would like to make an affiliate site.

•••
It sounds to me like you want to make money on the team brand, just want to find a way to be justified in doing so. Fine line you are walking IMO. I wouldn't bother.

Again, not really sure your intentions. A lot of speculating here.

•••
Thanks for the replies. I decided against getting the domain.

•••
I know someone will get it soon.

•••
lol. People think I joined in 2009 but the truth is that I left namepros same day I created the account and never came back till 2012 because I never knew what I was doing in 2009. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back