Dynadot

TradeMark - A Big Headache

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GeorgeQuang

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys, first of all, we are not lawyers (almost - i think so), so we can't determine exactly which side is right or wrong in the TradeMark (TM) battle if there is a cyber squatting between the holder and the squatter. But today, i list some of my situation about TM, so we can discuss which domain we can register, and which shoudn't register. Okay, let's go!
We always hear and always read that " Do not register TradeMark". So how many people here can determine which is TM and which is not ? Or just avoid all and miss some niches ?
- EX1 : Surely TM :
google.com
paypal.com
googleservices.com
mypaypal.com
Yes, those type of domains are TM, because there are specific name that very easily to realize a product, brands and so plz, run away from them as fast as you can, or you will have a lawsuit with cyber squatting later.
- EX2 : Half-Half:
AppleCargo.com
OracleConsulting.com
ShopGecko.com
Those type of domain are created from common words have fully meaning. As you can see, Apple and Oracle are 2 big corps, so AppleCargo and OracleConsulting can be TM ? Do Apple and Oracle can apply a cyber squatting to get those domains ? The same as ShopGecko with Gecko is a common word and have tons of TM ( I checked on Trademarkia and AppleCargo, OracleConsulting and ShopGecko and there isn't any TM registered)
-EX3 : maybe, ya
boondie.com
bronker.com
Those specific domains that don't have any TM applied on Trademarkia, but there are some company with those name ( i assume that). So should we register it ? and in the future, do those company can apply a cyber squatting to get them ?
- EX4 : Generic, Geoneric, Numeric Domain : best domains to register with a tiny ratio having problems with TM battle.
So what do you think ? :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Trademarks have different classes, clothing, technology, etc "google" is an old school term "google eyes" You can have AppleJeans if you want, provided they are not "wearables" People need to be aware to stay away from the obvious, AmericanAppleComputers would be a no no in my books. I avoid parking names to keep clear of potential problems with the ads. If people want to take a chance they need to accept they may lose the name if challenged

•••
I searched on TradeMarkia , that Sumo have tons of trademarks. As you know Noah Kagan boght it for 1.5mil $ but when i searched key work "Sumo: in Namebio, it was sold for 150.000 on Sedo in 2008.
So if i were a domainer thay paid 150.000$ for Sumo.com and i must have given them to other company that had trademark "Sumo" and did a cyber squatting again me ?
The other ways with "adviertising" , "apple" , "oracle", "samurai" ......

•••
Sumo is a generic word and because of that it would be hard to prove misuse of the name, generic names can be used for many things eg: igloo

•••
so what's about 2 generic words domain such as : OracleLogistics, ApplePrinting .... can be registered and sold to other companies, right ?

•••
when registering a domain name you need to know who is your potential buyer/s, this can come via google searching for the best matches. Not too sure I would be registering apple printing, did you do a google search ? Going by your examples seems you don't quite get it yet, good luck

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back