IT.COM

Top 100 Domain Name Endings

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I did a bit of crunching to check what the top three character domain name endings were over .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia/tel. The results are on:
HosterStats.com: Top 100 Domain Name Endings

There's also a top 500 domain name endings page linked from the page above.

The endings are very close to the most popular English language word endings. I was going to run a domain name keyword survey as soon as I can get a good list of keywords.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice work... thanks for the info..

•••
Great information. Deserving of a rep :)

•••
•••
The list didn't load for me.. I will try out later =)

•••
I can't figure out how this information is useful in any way.

•••
I can't figure out how this information is useful in any way.

I would have to agree. Even if it was the top 100 "sold" domain name endings I am not sure how this would help. Could someone shed light on this? :-/

Last edited:
•••
yeah, a bit obscure. it would be useful if it listed the top 500 words (not 3 meaningless characters).

maybe this is just a promo thing to try to get you to pay for the above

•••
yeah, a bit obscure. it would be useful if it listed the top 500 words (not 3 meaningless characters).

maybe this is just a promo thing to try to get you to pay for the above
At the moment I am trying to find a good keyword list to use against the database. The characters are not meaningless though. They show the most popular endings for domains and there is a very close correlation between those endings and the typical endings of English language words. The other aspect is that when people think of high value domains, the obvious ones are sex.com, poker.com, business.com etc. Now if you look at the list, the ker. ending domains are not as common as the ones at the top. The ending for business is close to the top but the most popular domain ending is 'ing.' - the typical ending for an action type word. Geographical abbreviations such as USA are also there but it is down the list. Then there are common business types and structures (law, LLC, INC). The numbers for other TLD endings (net/org/info) show that net/tel endings are in the top 100 endings in .com TLD.

If it is a promo to get people to pay for the reports then it is a particularly poor one since the data on hosters and domains is there for free.

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I would have to agree. Even if it was the top 100 "sold" domain name endings I am not sure how this would help. Could someone shed light on this? :-/
Think of how everyone piled into the LLLL craze without even bothering to check which would be the most valuable domains. The most valuable domains were long gone before people realised that most of what they were holding was junk. Some of the most valuable LLLL domains were probably (I don't track domain sale prices) those with endings close to the top of the list.

Regards...jmcc

•••
At the moment I am trying to find a good keyword list to use against the database. The characters are not meaningless though. They show the most popular endings for domains and there is a very close correlation between those endings and the typical endings of English language words. The other aspect is that when people think of high value domains, the obvious ones are sex.com, poker.com, business.com etc. Now if you look at the list, the ker. ending domains are not as common as the ones at the top. The ending for business is close to the top but the most popular domain ending is 'ing.' - the typical ending for an action type word. Geographical abbreviations such as USA are also there but it is down the list. Then there are common business types and structures (law, LLC, INC). The numbers for other TLD endings (net/org/info) show that net/tel endings are in the top 100 endings in .com TLD.

If it is a promo to get people to pay for the reports then it is a particularly poor one since the data on hosters and domains is there for free.

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Think of how everyone piled into the LLLL craze without even bothering to check which would be the most valuable domains. The most valuable domains were long gone before people realised that most of what they were holding was junk. Some of the most valuable LLLL domains were probably (I don't track domain sale prices) those with endings close to the top of the list.

Regards...jmcc

Thank you for posting and clarifying this. I do see the popularity angle. Just trying to see where this could help with aquiring domain names and with registrations. Is there anyway to break this down further into character#'s and word#'s?
I guess I can only see value in this list if there were a face to put on the #'s or even sale price averages per ending.

•••

Regards...jmcc

No.

The "LLLL craze" was based on the absolute dumbest aspects of domain ownership and is a classic display of stupid people gathering in large numbers to circularly rely on each others failed logic to create the illusion that bad ideas have merit. There is no sort of data- including that list- that would've helped the LLLL.com lemmings from marching off the cliff, since their ideas weren't based in fact.

LLLL.com mania had nothing to do with an articulable 'value' inherent to a certain presence or arrangement of random letters in 4L names (ie- the idea of 'premium' letters, as if the presence of certain letter engendered value in a name irrespective of the fact that the four combined letters meant nothing)

It had to do with a bunch of people who believed that a domain name four random letters long was 'worth something', given that domain names three random letters long were selling for thousands of dollars; it was only a matter of time before names four random letters long became 'worth something' too... or, so went the awful, awful 'logic'. By the time LLLL.coms were no longer available for hand-registry, dumb people panicked that there was a boat to be missed and classic, totally standard mania behavior ensued.

Given the way language works, the list in question contains three letter suffixes derived from complete keywords that, if isolated apart from the parent keyword and combined with a random letter prefix to create a LLLL.com, would generally be pronounceable. cles, kics, ging, rion, hent. Short, pronounceable, four letter web2 names like that are only very distantly related to the "LLLL.com" market and by the time LLLL.com mania (four letters for four letters sake) was in full swing, names like that were pretty much all gone anyway. People have been speculating on four letter, pronounceable web2 names since the late 1990's.

Last edited:
•••
Great info for us there thanks! It really helps me to see any patterns or trends in naming that I could hopefully use to my advantage.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back