Dynadot

Top 10 reasons why I like domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Inspired by the 'Are you giving up on domaining yet' thread I have tried to compile a list of the reasons why I am so hooked on domaining. Here they are – in no particular order:

1) You can domain at any time, or at all times, 24 hours a day. The market is global – when they’re sleeping in the USA, they’re busy buying and selling in Asia.

2) You can domain in your pajama – or at the beach. All you need is your laptop.

3) The community. Domaining attracts a crowd of interesting people and personalities from all walks of life where many of the players get to know each other personally, and there is a community feeling to the industry. (I <3 Namepros.)

4) The dream of hitting the big win – well, what did you expect? We’re all in it for the money, right? :D

5) All the good domaining blogs – I can read for hours and hours.

6) It’s a knowledge-based industry. Despite the fact that you do not need any education to get started – there are successful teenage domainers – you will need to negotiate a rather steep learning curve in order to be successful.

7) There is no minimum investment. Most industries require you to have money in order to make money. Domaining is not so. At least in theory you can start with $8 and make $200. Then make those $200 into $5000 – and there you go. Well, that’s in theory anyway, it does not always work out quite like that…

8) The thrill of buying. That was where I got hooked. Rushing through GoDaddy checkout during the drop, hoping to reg the domain I had staked out – or winning an auction, being the high bidder and counting minutes until the auction ends. In fact, it is much more fun to buy than to sell – that is, until you cash out.

9) Negotiating is fun. It is a psychological game where other factors than what meets the eye may determine who wins.

10) The international scene. In order to be successful in domaining you will need to communicate and negotiate successfully with people from a wide range of cultures and economies. This is good training for any job in an increasingly globalised world.

Have I forgotten anything? What do you like about domaining?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
:talk:

domaining, has added more leverage to my life

and even though domaining has a stress factor of it's own....

i do think, it has helped weather the storm when economy was bad, which i may have suffered from if not for domaining

•••
Havela, love your outlook and attitude and we seem to think very much alike.

•••
•••
Great! That is why I am still love domaining for many years.

Last edited:
•••
I think you hit it on the head! Exactly why I love domaining, even just as a hobby.

It's just so interesting and amazing how you can be in touch with people all over the world and make money with digital property.

:lala:

Inspired by the 'Are you giving up on domaining yet' thread I have tried to compile a list of the reasons why I am so hooked on domaining. Here they are – in no particular order:

1) You can domain at any time, or at all times, 24 hours a day. The market is global – when they’re sleeping in the USA, they’re busy buying and selling in Asia.

2) You can domain in your pajama – or at the beach. All you need is your laptop.

3) The community. Domaining attracts a crowd of interesting people and personalities from all walks of life where many of the players get to know each other personally, and there is a community feeling to the industry. (I <3 Namepros.)

4) The dream of hitting the big win – well, what did you expect? We’re all in it for the money, right? :D

6) It’s a knowledge-based industry. Despite the fact that you do not need any education to get started – there are successful teenage domainers – you will need to negotiate a rather steep learning curve in order to be successful.

7) There is no minimum investment. Most industries require you to have money in order to make money. Domaining is not so. At least in theory you can start with $8 and make $200. Then make those $200 into $5000 – and there you go. Well, that’s in theory anyway, it does not always work out quite like that…

8) The thrill of buying. That was where I got hooked. Rushing through GoDaddy checkout during the drop, hoping to reg the domain I had staked out – or winning an auction, being the high bidder and counting minutes until the auction ends. In fact, it is much more fun to buy than to sell – that is, until you cash out.

9) Negotiating is fun. It is a psychological game where other factors than what meets the eye may determine who wins.

10) The international scene. In order to be successful in domaining you will need to communicate and negotiate successfully with people from a wide range of cultures and economies. This is good training for any job in an increasingly globalised world.

•••
Good points Havela, here is one more:

Domaining is a kind of mental exercise that helps make a person smarter.

•••
Only place I have turned $7-$8 into xxxx more than a few times so gotta love the ROI. Like all the internet businesses I'm in as nothing like making money while your sleeping.

•••
Like all the internet businesses I'm in as nothing like making money while your sleeping.

Yeah, isn't that the truth B-)

I woke up this morning and had won one auction and sold another domain at TDNAM, not for a great price or anything, but it was a domain I had completely given up on.

What a great way to start the day!

•••
Great post. Domaining is fun and the options are endless.

ComingTogether.com just sold for $60k!

Opportunity is all around us...

•••
I agree with all your ten reasons, and here's another big one for me:

I enjoy the wide and scattered knowledge I learn about practically anything, as I research domains. Looking for available domains, and looking at buying and selling a domain, needs some research; you need to learn a few quick facts about a term, and so you learn how popular it is (how many searches it gets/month), how long it's been around, a little about what it is and how it works.

There are so many little facts I've learned about things all over the world, through domaining. Heck, I'd never heard the term Dubstep... or Telematics... or hundreds more, until I started wading through domains and domain forums. And every day that I search for available domains, I'm running across terms, names, products, foreign word, places, etc. that I've never heard of. Really expands the brain, knowledge (in a minutiae kind of way), even spelling and grammar.

I constantly see domain appraisals and sales of names and items I hadn't heard of before, and I think 'what the heck is that?', and dive in to google to research about it and see if there are any related terms worth regging.

On my running availables list scribbled beside my laptop, I'm looking at Dainumo, Exo-Mining, Gademans and a few dozen other words, looking forward to googling them and finding out what the heck they are.

The constant exploration into newness, through domaining, really excites me.

•••
Yeah, isn't that the truth B-)

I woke up this morning and had won one auction and sold another domain at TDNAM, not for a great price or anything, but it was a domain I had completely given up on.

What a great way to start the day!

Very nice, congrats :) I also woke up today and saw that while I was sleeping one offer came through Sedo for the domain I listed just before going to bed last night! :lala: Mid $xxx offer which I just counted. I received this domain as compensation together with mid $xxx amount for the domain I registered two weeks ago for $2.17 using coupon! I adore domaining!

I completely found my way of thinking in your 10 reasons for domaining.

•••
I would like to add something to this great thread. It is something that I was thinking about while watching this video about the new 3D printer (http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/10/formlabs-prepares-to-ship-the-super-sexy-form-one-3d-printer/)

Another great thing about domaining is how it makes you think about the future technologies and innovations. Every time I hear that there's a new technology coming I wish I had registered the domain name because I am always late. My point is that not all of us are technology geeks but domaining makes a lot of people think about it. Just look around how many "3D print", "cloud", "bigdata", "nfc" etc. names are there. It makes me realize how fast the technology progress actually is.

•••

11. Domaining keeps both the creative and logical sides of my mind young and active. I swear I have upped my I.Q. a few points since I started this wild ride 6 years ago.

ADDED:

If you think about it, a domaining education is quite extensive in itself; there is a lot of info to know and technical skills involved in transferring a domain, setting up an email address that is separate from the registrar, basic html, images to develop for posts.

In addition there are domain expiration cycles to consider, plowing through ICANN and registrar gobbledygook and BS, and sniffing out general BS in the domainosphere.

In a domaining day, there are a lot of sites to visit, calculations to do, stats to figure out, names to analyze, auction sites to navigate, searches for hand regs, reading and keeping up with trends, letters/emails to write, sales pitches to write and add on Sedo, etc. etc.

Bannen's post is dead on.

Last edited:
•••
Its just amazing and i have started to earn in domaning and i see a bright future in this industry and i am very thankful to God for it......:)

•••
yeah, well put havela.

love domaining for the thrills when buying and the feeling of success when selling

•••
Many great responses here. - Bannen, I particularly loved your post and sentiment. Almost makes me feel domaining is a particularly worthy occupation :)

•••
2) You can domain in your pajama – or at the beach.

But you should never were pajamas at the beach. :wave:

Funny, I'm in my pajamas right now but normally I'm not. I'm waiting for my clothes to dry.

•••
Yes indeed, I have recently been bitten by the domaining bug. Its hard to get any sleep these days..

•••
•••
great post!I love domain and I'll never give up!

•••

#11. Don't forget about all the chicks you'll attract by being a domainer, or all the wild parties!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back