IT.COM

news Today is Last Day Of Google [RIP 1998-2015]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

.com VS .xyz in next 5 years after this news?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Yousaf Saeed

Established Member
Impact
Wow!

Today is the last day of Google as its now being conglomerated to a newer company "Alphabet" launched by Larry page & Sergey Brin.

This news is now viral over internet and warming up the internet environment that new era will be born today?
Link to more detailed discussion on it by CNN News: Link

So what you guys think now .xyz domains worth is going to increase or will have no effect?
Is it going to bring an unstable change?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh brother. Are you guys talking about an extension that's 118,000,000 regs behind .com? That ends with the letters x y and z? That has only 7 reported sales (according to Namebio) over $1,000 in over a year? The one whose reg numbers are buoyed by $1 domains? That one?

•••
RIP .xyz. Believe me now or realize I was right in the future.

•••
Oh brother. Are you guys talking about an extension that's 118,000,000 regs behind .com? That ends with the letters x y and z? That has only 7 reported sales (according to Namebio) over $1,000 in over a year? The one whose reg numbers are buoyed by $1 domains? That one?
i registered a couple xyz names when they were like $1 to reg. I let them all drop.

•••
Google could be setting up for a huge change in their algorithms that will show sites with GTLD and CCTLD first in search results?? If they did this the .com could definitely suffer.
Why on earth would they do that??
It would kill them off as a search engine because the search results would suck.
If search lost market share, Advertisers would jump ship. Bye bye revenue stream.

•••
.com will not be king .xyz will not be king. Websites will be king.

•••
Imagine how easy it would be for Google to kill .com if that was the goal. The easiest way would be for Google to penalize websites that use .com in their search results and rankings.

Poof, .com would be dead.

I'm not saying this will ever happen, for a variety of reasons, but it's an example to illustrate a point:

Don't ever bet on anything being forever, because you'll lose that bet every time.

•••
I got a secret information has that .com will be dead by end of 2015. Start selling your premium .coms now. You can start from me. Sell your 3L and 4L .coms to me for $20 and $5 respectively. You can buy 20 .xyz selling your 3L. com to me. Don't miss this chance. :P

•••
They will never use .xyz for their any other existing companies, why would they? Is there any reason to change it? But yes, they may change abc.xyz to some domain.com ;)
A great point and I think this should clear any doubt fellow members might have here about .com going down.

Just take examples of new startups who launch their business using .io, .co and etc. because they can't afford the premium dot com OR the extension they opt to use (other than .com) is more brandable for them.

But even these startups companies do their best to acquire the dot com version of their domain once they start profiting from their business.

So why in the world would Google go the other way around? Doesn't make any sense for the big G to devalue the king of extensions. Abc.xyz makes a perfect sense for the new company (Alphabet), but that should not mean that .com world will be changed.

But then again, let's wait and watch.

•••
Read some of the BS here and only thing I have to say is that I am out of popcorn for now.

•••
Why on earth would they do that??
It would kill them off as a search engine because the search results would suck.
If search lost market share, Advertisers would jump ship. Bye bye revenue stream.
i guess after reading my post again it was hard to see the sarcasm in my post. I will go back to monitoring from the sidelines again. :)

•••
@Jitesh Prasad maybe it can be considered from this angle: Alphabet abc - xyz [containing everything - its child companies], i never said they might open 26 companies, i said they might just use this extension for all of their child companies containing 26 alphabets.
They will never use .xyz for their any other existing companies, why would they? Is there any reason to change it? But yes, they may change abc.xyz to some domain.com ;)

•••
but I don't anticipate much will change as a result of it.

same, but imagine google.com getting forwarded to google.xyz, wont happen but a lot of people would be livid lol

•••
Okay, then if you read and look carefully...
Google is NOT ending today or any other day.
Alphabet, as reported in August, is the holding company for google and a few other companies.

•••
.xyz will fall flat once again - they still have a lawsuit to contend with, and once it is settled (with .xyz paying some damages) people will take note of that.

After all, the lawsuit is over .xyz disparaging .com and allegedly misrepresenting how well .xyz is doing - which Verisign is 100% right about.

Just follow the money, .COM will never falter in our lifetimes.

•••
But aren't you guys considering the amount of .xyz domaina registered and the hype worth of current singular names is inceeasing day by day as Alphabet is being launched?

Some are, a lot are not, I don't think it will ever replace .com completely, but, will it put a dent on .com if this continues? It can, however small or big it may be I don't know. Though I can take a wild guess why many people on here do not want to see that happening.

Domainers are making money off of ridiculous .com names, I do too, there is no problem with that. But remember this is kind of being billed as a 2nd option to the availability problem .com has. I can't guess as to the number of people who will say "can't register the com, ill take xyz instead", but there like I said, anything that has the potential to hurt com will not be liked.

Last edited:
•••
Imagine how easy it would be for Google to kill .com if that was the goal. The easiest way would be for Google to penalize websites that use .com in their search results and rankings.

Poof, .com would be dead.

I bet, instead Google will be dead.

•••
@jitesh Parsad Hey your secret info got leaked to me as well so anyone who is willing to throw his premium .coms then consider me as well i'll pay $5 extra per name :D :D lolz

•••
This thread is unbelievable. Sometimes i wonder whether some domainers are really nothing more than hobos looking for a quick buck using free internet in a public library.

What the FK does .xyz mean anyway to even think it will rule this planet?

•••
then they would go out of business

•••
i guess after reading my post again it was hard to see the sarcasm in my post. I will go back to monitoring from the sidelines again. :)
We need a sarcasm smiley :).

•••
They can reg all the other extensions they want. They will still be meaningless and won't give them any value.

•••
•••
any website that is unique and provides something that people want, then it won't matter the extension or even if it is mispelled domain...people are attracted to:

design
content
navigation
products/services
and what they get out of it for visiting, signing up, buying or clicking

•••
How about Google planned to open 26 Child companies under .xyz?
26 Alphabets = 26 Companies
A = Alphabet
B = Bloggers
C = Chrome
D = Drive
E = Earth
F = Finance
G = Google
P = Play
Z = Zipper

And All these 26 child companies that are under "Google" right now will be considered under "Alphabet" company and you .xyz extenions in near future.
They will never open any other company in extension .xyz. They took abc.xyz because it describes "Alphabet" starting from abc and ending in xyz.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back