IT.COM

news Google Domains is out of beta (but it doesn't mean much in practice)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

yb1313

Established Member
Impact
Google Domains, which launched in beta mode in 2015 and today has more than 7 million active registrations, just announced that they are now out of beta.
According to their press release, they are "moving Google Domains out of beta and into general availability ... Customers have come to rely on the ability to easily integrate Google Analytics, Search Console, and Workspace, with the reliability of DNS on Google infrastructure [Source 1] As noted on Engadget, one of Google Domains advantages is that customers can "use their domain in their email address [and] build a website or store with Google Sites and use it on a business profile on Maps and in Search. [Source 2]
To mark the occasion, Google Domains offers until April 15 a 20% discount for any single domain registration or transfer-in to Google Domains (a small saving, promo code is in source 1).

My comments: This news doesn't appear to have any implications on the Google Domains interface, so the event seems to be more of an entity change or organizational update - Google Domains looks the same today as it was last year from a user's endpoint. When I got into domaining, Google Domains was my default registrar (due to the fact that like everyone I too use Gmail and other Google products and found their domains to be a simple and reliable option), and at the pick I had over a hundred domains there. However, bulk editing tools are not offered on Google Domains (!) except for renewals, meaning you can't change DNS settings or do anything else in bulk, and upon realizing it I gradually moved away most of my domains to other registrars. I was expecting this see this change today, but as noted everything there stayed the same. So in conclusion, Google Domains is probably good for those with a handful of domains but definitely not for domainers and professional resellers. If there are actual noticeable changes that anyone notices, feel free to comment them below!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Google can close your account without any notice. I don't trust Google.

•••
•••
Google missed domains train by couple lihtyears so nobody cares or hardly knows they even exist

but..long live chrome..and gmail..and all their other goodies... llike wiseman said.... cant win em all...hehehe...next

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back