NameSilo

Tired of Using Your Parents' Credit Card?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
While buying an iPod online at the Apple Store today, I learned a pretty cool trick for using a credit card that was my own -- not my parents' -- and I'm only sixteen years old.

Today while I was on my break at work (I work at a supermarket), I bought a Visa Gift Card, which acts just like a normal Visa card. You can be any age to get one, and they work great for online purchases such as Amazon.com and Apple.com. I was able to successfully order my iPod after inputting my personal details in at the Visa website, and I also picked up a pair of speakers very cheap at Amazon.

So, if you see a Visa Gift Card in a store somewhere and you'd like to make an online purchase, I'd definitely recommend it! :)

Steve

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought about that, you can also use it for a CC at Paypal.. but the damn fees are sooo high I didn't want to go that route. around here anyways pre paid CC's are not worth it t all.

•••
I just ordered (and was accepted for) the debit/ATM card from PayPal. :)

I've always hated not being able to pay on sites that only take credit cards.

•••
Can you use it to verify your paypal and to raise your sending limit. For paying with your paypal balance not the card.

So can the card just be used to verify paypal and raise your sending limit?

•••
For the last one and a bit years i have used my own card and bank account especialy set up for online transactions.

Makes life a lot easier

(Mines a debit card of course)

Last edited:
•••
Oh dear, this thread has just reminded me i have some money in PayPal.

I always seem to want to spend money when i have it in PayPal, it's "just there", it doesn't get used for anything good.

Time to do some pointless shopping.. :D

Anyway, we can get credit cards in the UK from just about any age...
I think i got mine at 13.

•••
Hitch said:
Anyway, we can get credit cards in the UK from just about any age...
I think i got mine at 13.

No we can't :lol:. I think you are classing cards like Solo cards as credit cards which is not true because with a Solo card (one that you get when you're below 18), you can only spend what you have in your account, it's money that you have to have put in there - there is no "credit" as such.

We can only get credit cards when we're over 18.

•••
•••
i got my BANK card for withdrawing money at the age of 13
:P
my paypal is currently being verified to my mums bank account

hehe
Joe

•••
I'm going to be getting an actual credit card when I turn 16 for gas and other things.. doesn't really mean I won't use it on other stuff. ;)

I have an ATM card for my bank account which my PayPal is on and now I'm getting the debit/ATM card from PayPal. :)

•••
I always use the USBANK gift card.
It's only 4.95 and to me, I believe its better than a real CC.
Can't be overcharged than what you input.

•••
Hey guys,
Check out VisaBuxx. It's a prepaid card, but it's reloadable! Personally, I love it. It's easy to reload, you can do it riht online. Or, if you want to be able to re-load in cash try the GreenDot card or Payoneer (www.payoneer.com).

The fees can kill ya, but it's worked for me so far.

•••
We can get debit cards from the UK at almost any age, and tbh you don't need anything more than a VISA Debit card online.

•••
What about for australians

•••
•••
My prepaid debit card thingy (i call it prepaid because it wasn't like you had to go to a bank to get it, but you did have to sign up and it is your account) recently came out with some kind of "real credit" thing to teach kids about credit where you can actually put a charge on your account, but there were major fees with it. It was a around for a week and now it's gone. I wonder what happened to it. :lol: But now they do let you have a balance, they just call it an overage and you have to pay it back with $25.

•••
ironmonk3y said:
What about for australians
Australians can't get a visa or credit card until 18 I think, or if you've been declared an independant person (I think that's when you turn 18, or live away from home for at least 12 months). Something like that anyway.

You can get debit cards at age 12 I'm pretty sure though, got mine ages ago.

•••
I'm not sure how ebay works, but can you use that method to make an ebay account and buy things?

•••
You can use PayPal for eBay.

The Visa is good anywhere where Visa is accepted..

•••
I got my credit card (attatched to my dad's) when I was 12. I think I got my paypal at around 11, not too sure though.

I also have a debit card attatched to a checking account which I can use like any other Visa, as long as I have the funds in my checking account.

Peter

•••
Yes it works thou my family has lost massiveamounts due to it.

I recommend using your paypal and geta debt card from paypal it works with mastercard so accepted mostly every where.

i am ordering my card in a few days.

plus you get a 1% cash back haha not much but still.

•••
Im confused....

What is there available for an under 16 teenager in the UK??

Cos Im not sure if you can get Visa in the UK can you??

•••
•••
I like VisaBuxx CreditCards it acts somewhat like a Prepaid/Debit Card and you can use it anywhere they accept Visa which is online or any store in real life, The downside is if your parents hate you or you hate them it won't work out as they have to load the money on it and if you go in debt on it Visa charged you $20 plus on top of what you ow, I use it and so far have never had a problem with it I used to use it on Paypal until Paypal found out I was only 15...but that is another story. Great CC is VisaBuxx...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back