Dynadot

Tips And Tricks For Domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Tips And Tricks For Domainers:

• * Post a message at domains wanted section, tell them that you have 10k budget and need [hosting] .com domain. It is a good alternative for ”suggestion tools” . If anyone sends a good domain try to create alternatives of it, ie: hostdomain.com is posted; alternatives:hostdomains, hostingdomain, hostingdomains, domainhosting, domainhost… Check if any of them is available…

* Do you need an appraisal for any of your domains? Post a message at “domain name discussion” section, tell them a company sent you an email and asked you for the price. When you request an appraisal they usually give you prices after checking their money in their pockets because appraisers are also your potential buyers.Feedbacks get better results for you than appraisals.

* If somebody starts an auction about the domain you are interested in, wait for the last day of the auction to bid. First bidder is the looser in most situations. Smell the air before start running.

* Do not tell you urgently need money as a reason of selling the domain. Show yourself as you will keep that domain for years to find the right buyer

* Choose the most suitable domain in your portfolio and build a site there. Redirect/Point other domains to that domain. It is good to have a site to show your domains and it is also good to have traffic at your main domain. Content and traffic means more money when you try to sell it

to be continued...

Please post your own tips and tricks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is just plain Immature !

You are wasting people's time and Namepro's Bandwidth doing this Ferman :(

This is not a SMART way to get Ideas !

•••
Hi Ferman,
Mate some of that advice seems pretty sound, as for the 10k budget trick, (perhaps someone has already taken your advice here http://namepros.com/showthread.php?t=47218&highlight=10k ) by my experience on Namepros, dunno so much about other boards, all you need do is ask for suggestions and the qaulity alternatives roll in thick and fast, rather than being a bit deceptive about it. As for appraisals, again, plenty of Namepros members, some examples would be Wavemail.com, Anthony and LeeRyder in particualr, nearly always go out of their way to explain their appraisals and give sound advice so Im pretty sure that this little deception is also a bit uneccesary here. Just my observations anyway. Probably the only tip I might have is you dabble in domain names for kids sites, run the names past your own children if you have any, all three of mine have picked winners for me :laugh:

•••
Interesting observations, ferman. Not sure if I agree with a couple of 'em, but should make for an interesting discussion. :tri:

•••
You missunderstood something
Subject is "Tips And Tricks For Domainers"
Subject is NOT "What is happening at NamePros"
I have posted them at several boards, not only NamePros
And these are not rules, these are only ideas. So try to be kind

I have not done any of them. I just played devils advocate. Somebody must do it, to show what other side thinks. And we all have to look under the stone if there is something hidden. Try to think this post has added you a new way of look

Regards

•••
4. Don't buy .COM, most of the sales you see about $10k are fakes

•••
Ok, perhaps you should have prequalified your thread as that of a devils advocate because as i read your initial thread I think - 'why is this guy telling us how to be deceitful and how we can basically con one another?'. The start of an ever decreasing circle which I, for one, would not want to be party to and I think most other 'honest' namepro'rs (which make up the vast majority here) would, I am sure, agree.

Point 5 has some relevance but the others are just underhanded. Glad you posted explained your reasoning ferman but i cannot take anything from what you wrote.

•••
Granted everyone has freedome of speech here.

The only thing your tips and tricks did for me, ferman is to make sure not to ever do business with you.

•••
ZoNe said:
Granted everyone has freedome of speech here.

The only thing your tips and tricks did for me, ferman is to make sure not to ever do business with you.

It means you do not understand what i am trying to show you
Read my previous message again:
"I have not done any of them. I just played devils advocate. Somebody must do it, to show what other side thinks. And we all have to look under the stone if there is something hidden. Try to think this post has added you a new way of look"

I have just tried to say: open your eyes and see what is happening over there. And do not sue me for anything. Never! I am the one who is trying to show you what might be behind the thing you see

•••
I personally does not see Ferman has done anything wrong, the things he mentioned are already happening all the time in business environment. Not only in domain industry, all industries are the same.

We all need negotiation skills, some may not be honest. We just don't do it if we feel it is too much, but we can't stopped others to do so... IF they play the game without violate the rule. =D

I can see, the points that Ferman trying to prove are advices.
Enable us to see the other side of the world clearer. At least, you can prevent.

•••
Ferman said:
It means you do not understand what i am trying to show you
Read my previous message again:
"I have not done any of them. I just played devils advocate. Somebody must do it, to show what other side thinks. And we all have to look under the stone if there is something hidden. Try to think this post has added you a new way of look"

I have just tried to say: open your eyes and see what is happening over there. And do not sue me for anything. Never! I am the one who is trying to show you what might be behind the thing you see

You didn't say a word about your intentions, consequently most people understood it as if you were posting tips and tricks to use. If this is not what you intended, I'd only add one more rule:
*Make your posts as clear and straightforward as possible to avoid any misunderstandings

•••
It is a discussion
And the best way to discuss is using dialectical method
Dialectical method needs 2 opposite sides
So i have to be the voice of one side
"Wear others shoes to understand them well"

•••
Gday Ferman, could not agree with you more on your last point, but what most people are just trying to suggest is, put very simply,..if you started your post with *I do not patrake in or condone these activities, this is just a heads up for what some people do*..or similar...then continue with your post. Then there would not be this confusion..its really not unreasonable to suggest clarification before such a post IMHO. Playing the devils advocate is an important stance many times, but just make sure people know thats what you are doing.

•••
There is a missing point:
If i do such things why do i tell them to my potential buyers in a public place

As i have told before the best way to understand what other side does or thinks, is wearing their shoes
And believe me if i tell none of these tips are my choices, there would be no discussion, and most users will pass the topic after reading. The best way to get reaction is creating a case which cause somebody react immediately.
Of course this is the style i choose, and i believe it is true. Remember the role playing based discussions. That is it.

•••
Post a message at domains wanted section, tell them that you have 10k budget and need [hosting] .com domain.

Do this a few times, and pretty soon your domain wanted threads get ignored, or you get responses only from new members who don't know you yet.

Do you need an appraisal for any of your domains? Post a message at “domain name discussion” section

This would make your thread posted in the wrong forum. Which would require a mod to move it. Why not just post it in appraisals and be honest about the situation? No need for subterfuge here.

If somebody starts an auction about the domain you are interested in, wait for the last day of the auction to bid.

Also called 'sniping', this is not necessarily a bad idea. The disadvantage here is that with all the posts in the forum, then you might forget about it. I would suggest posting a modest bid when you see the thread - that way you get notified by our mailer when the thread is updated. I too sometimes engage in sniping, even down to the last second, as it makes for a good challenge and can be quite fun.

Do not tell you urgently need money as a reason of selling the domain.

Good point. Unless your intention is to solicit interest in your name by encouraging initial low-balling. If your name is really good, then you'll get the price it deserves even with the low-ballers hanging about.

Choose the most suitable domain in your portfolio and build a site there. Redirect/Point other domains to that domain. It is good to have a site to show your domains and it is also good to have traffic at your main domain. Content and traffic means more money when you try to sell it

I'm sure it will build traffic for your primary domain. But if you sell the domain on the basis of traffic without informing your buyer about the redirects, then remove the redirects after the sale, then this would be tantamount to outright fraud. You would eventually be banned from domain/webmaster forums and no domainer would ever do business with you again.

My 10 cents (5 x 2 cents). :D

•••
mole said:
4. Don't buy .COM, most of the sales you see about $10k are fakes

Hello,

I don't think I understood; (Don't buy.com, most of the sales you see about $10k are fakes). Are you suggesting that most of the sales on the Enom Drop Auctions, Pool Drop Auctions, Snapnames Drop Auctions, and the verified private sales listed at DNJournal are fake?

Showcase :-/

•••
Nice response Armstrong.

•••
Do you need an appraisal for any of your domains? Post a message at “domain name discussion” section, tell them a company sent you an email and asked you for the price. When you request an appraisal they usually give you prices after checking their money in their pockets because appraisers are also your potential buyers.Feedbacks get better results for you than appraisals.
I am usually more interested in recieving feedback on optimization or marketing approaches for a name group than I am in recieving an appraisal for a particular name within that group. (Group meaning 3LLL, content category, high search terms, low search dictionary words, tld-wise, etc). In that context, I have found that, usually, it is more fruitful to use names that I have regged as examples to make sure that the picture is clear. Sometimes hypotheticals suffice, but because of possible nuances involved, I prefer to use real life examples.
I don't think it is a good strategy to list a name that has recieved an offer in a public forum. It is too easy for the potential buyer to see what advice I am recieving. Also, giving a rough outline of the deal w/o specifics, doesn't provide enough background for others to base specific advice on. I think a better approach is to PM some members that you trust and who are gracious enough to help, by acting as an adviser on your deal.
Good points you brought up Ferman, particularly about potentially shady tactics. I think that the more often unethical practices are exposed, the less often they will be used. :tu:

•••
showcase said:
Are you suggesting that most of the sales on the Enom Drop Auctions, Pool Drop Auctions, Snapnames Drop Auctions, and the verified private sales listed at DNJournal are fake?

Absolutely. Has anyone here or in any other forum proven they are real?

I could claim I bought uopejeljra.com tomorrow for $3.6m and nobody could be the wiser.

The domain industry has no official clearing house and no audits.

Worse, groups of people will actually agree to do syncronised lying to push through a figure.

•••
mole said:
Absolutely. Has anyone here or in any other forum proven they are real?

I could claim I bought uopejeljra.com tomorrow for $3.6m and nobody could be the wiser.

The domain industry has no official clearing house and no audits.

Worse, groups of people will actually agree to do syncronised lying to push through a figure.

Hi There Mole,

I can assure you that the amounts paid for domais on the Pool, Enom, and Snapname Drop Auctions are real.......................................

I noticed a post yesterday regarding the person that bought b0ys.net. There were only 8 people in that auction. I noticed the zero rather than the O right away. Had the domain name been boys.net there would have been many more bidders and the price would have gone much higher. I can tell you that Christmastoys.com went for $8500 on Saturday to Verticalaxis.com. There were many bidders for Christmastoys.com. Verticalaxis had put a very high Proxy bid in.

To make such an absolute statement is really accusing these companies of fraud.

I would think that you would be encouraged when you see a high dollar domain sale happen. If not, why do you buy and sell domains?

I think of domain names like realestate and cars. You have the high-end and you have the low-end. Additionally, you have the change in market value.

You could buy a beautiful wide waterfront lot on Marco Island in the 1960's for about $3,000.00. In 1993 that same lot was going for $500,000, and in 2003 that same lot sold again for $1,000,000.00. Go figure................

I thought the Covair auto was the most ugly car...............Today I wish I had one to sell........................................

As far as first hand knowledge.................A friend of my husban's was the first owner of Sunglasses.com. My husband assisted him with the sale of the domain. It sold to the second owner for $3,000,000. It was a cash and shares arrangement. It has since been sold again and I do not know for what sum. My husband's friend had vision in the very early 90's.............the rest of us came to the party a little late, but I believe there is still opportunity.

I think it is a matter of having the right domain name for the right person at the right time.............

Who would have thought that LoveLace.com would have sold for $9,300.00 this weekend? I wouldn't have paid that much for it, but it was worth it to someone else. On the other hand I believe that the $8,500 for Christmastoys.com will come back to the owner many fold.

To close, I can not speak for all of the claims made regarding domain sales, but I can assure you that they are not all fake.......................

Regarding the tricks referenced by the orginal poster..........I find them offensive. I don't see them as good business strategy....I think a person employing those tactics is nothing more than a Wanna-Be looking through the keyhole of Success and never finding his way to the other side of the door.

Have a Great and Successful day................................

Cheers,

Showcase :wave:

Last edited:
•••
showcase said:
Hi There Mole,

I can assure you that the amounts paid for domais on the Pool, Enom, and Snapname Drop Auctions are real.......................................

I noticed a post yesterday regarding the person that bought b0ys.net. There were only 8 people in that auction. I noticed the zero rather than the O right away. Had the domain name been boys.net there would have been many more bidders and the price would have gone much higher. I can tell you that Christmastoys.com went for $8500 on Saturday to Verticalaxis.com. There were many bidders for Christmastoys.com. Verticalaxis had put a very high Proxy bid in.
To make such an absolute statement is really accusing these companies of fraud.

I don't think (if I may be so bold) that Mole's statement is in regards to domain sales...my gathering is more along the lines how they got there.
Does the domain industry have an official clearing house or third legalized and authoritative body to provide such evidence to deny his opinion?
To my knowledge there isn't......I could be wrong, if there are domainers with such insight could there be a referance via a link or links to such an overseer? The one that also protects domainers as well?
I would think that you would be encouraged when you see a high dollar domain sale happen. If not, why do you buy and sell domains?

You might've just founded the reasoning behind Mole's argument........

BTW.... Mole.....you've got nuts of steel. Bravo.

•••
ExpireGuy said:
I don't think (if I may be so bold) that Mole's statement is in regards to domain sales...my gathering is more along the lines how they got there.
Does the domain industry have an official clearing house or third legalized and authoritative body to provide such evidence to deny his opinion?
To my knowledge there isn't......I could be wrong, if there are domainers with such insight could there be a referance via a link or links to such an overseer? The one that also protects domainers as well?

You might've just founded the reasoning behind Mole's argument........

Hello There,

What do you mean regarding how the sales got there?

I believe that Mole's statement was that he absolutely believed that the sales reported by the companies I referenced above either are or could be fake. I simply pointed out some personal experience supporting the fact that all of these rather large sales are not fake, they are in fact very real. I fail to see how the reporting of these sales can be anything but positive to the domainers.

Mole's opinion and I stress opinion and not argument because an argument must be supported some by measure of fact, and Mole has offered no supporting facts. It is Mole that must provide proof of his opinion. He is the one that has challenged the validity of these large domain sales both public and private in a very overt fashion. The fact that a domain may sell for a million dollars between two individuals is really none of our business. It is certainly news worthy, and I appreciate the opportunity to hear and see that kind of news when it is availed to me. I also appreciate having the opportunity to hear about the unsavory deals too.

If you infact need proof.........The gentleman that bought Arab.com provided just that to the DNJournal.com so they could verify the validy of the sale before they reported it in their magazine. All of the big sales are not reported. Many of them prefer to remain anonymous. Why would anyone want a big brother type of legalized entity formed to report on an individual's private business as a matter of requirement. Of course if it is a corporation doing the purchasing there are reporting requirements in place for the benefit of the stock holders.

I have no problem accepting that Business.com, CD.com, Directory.com, Homes.com are definitly Million Dollar Row...........................

My point is that there are a lot of very respectable business people and respectable companies that are involved in many of these amazing acquisitions. To assert such blanket unsupported negative comments on a forum really isn't fair.

I would prefer to take the position that my comments contribute to the positive expectation that the Domain Industry and the Internet as a whole will continue to work to become more professional ,and a place where people can conduct business and one day make purchases without the ever looming presence of the word SCAM attached to it.

When I hear sour grapes and whinning disbelief about the amount a domain name sold for I am amazed. It doesn't take Nuts of Steel to be negative to the point of Absolute. It only takes a mind that doesn't invision themselves ever making a deal that large. No vision big deal...........

Please note that I am not saying that every sale reported is for real. I am saying that there are many real deals going on and this type of attitude gives this business an unpleasant, unsavory view.

I will hope that Mole will be fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do a million dollar domain deal. Only then will he appreciate my thoughts and opinions regarding his "Absolute" statements. Until then I will respect Mole's right to his opinion.

Have a great day............................................. :$: :$:

Best Regards,

Showcase :)

•••
nice post but im not sure your saying anything that franky isnt obvious.

There are two very basic reasons for misappropriation of sales (which is the same for all industrys the world over) which are:

1. sale actually higher than reported - tax implications.
2. sale actually lower than reported - self promotion and free advertising

And there will be both and always shall from thence forth and forever more.

•••

A devils advocate and/or contrarian is good for the general balance of a discussion.

~~snip~~ What I meant to say, but didn't like the way I said it.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back