Dynadot

question-answered Why most domainers are not willing to reveal their full portfolio?

NameSilo
Watch

postscripter

Top Member
Impact
I shared my portfolio as much as possible for the simple reason that I see it obviously better to have my domains reach more people.
However, I have noticed that most domainers do not do that. Is my observation right? Why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm selling to end users, not other domain investors. So what would the benefit be of displaying my portfolio here on NP?

•••
Upvote 0
Woooow Interesting Question. Let's see the other's observation!

•••
Upvote 1
In my opinion, because in most cases, the other domainers/resellers are not the targeted buyers.

•••
Upvote 1
Why most domainers are not willing to reveal their full portfolio?

Maybe their domains are not good enough? Or they're just bloggers not domainers.

•••
Upvote 1
Don't see a point in sharing it. I'm interested in end user sales. Also, I'm going the trial & error route and carving my own path. It's an adventure.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
I share the same philosophy, I want to share my portfolio as much as possible. The more exposure the better. I come from SEO, and the traffic and links are only going to help boost your exposure too in the search engines as another plus for sharing (if you have your own portfolio site).

However, some reasons for not sharing:

- They don't want to target other domainers (like DrJacoby and Optimistic mentioned above). Some are not interested in selling wholesale, and to avoid being contacted with a lowball price offer. A small chance that others will get ideas from your portfolio that you'd eventually register.
Note: I personally don't care about that, but some might. Also, smaller chance, but end users are lurking around here to buy too.

- They want to be more private. Possible gambling, adult, or other domains mixed in that they don't want to share. i.e. I don't want my wife or friends to see that, lol. You can always have multiple accounts though.

- Just starting out and they don't have time yet to organize, don't have a lot of domains yet, or not confident enough to post their portfolio.

- Maybe they only a have couple domains. I met a couple people that only had a couple, but thinking about expanding in the future. Lots of beginner domainers entering the market.

- Maybe some are end users. One domainer I met at the last Namescon was a business owner registering names to protect their brand but ended up registering more over time and wanted to learn more about domaining. And as ReallyBigIdea mentioned above, maybe some are just bloggers.

•••
Upvote 0
For me, I consider it a matter of both Confidence (occasionally lack-off) and market foresight.

I consider most of my domain purchases to be at least several years ahead of the game in terms of market-needs and wants, Are most members going to be onboard with that type of thinking - I'm sorry to say I think not. So no I don't want to explain my thinking, which I may add has worked just fine for the last 20 years. + 5 years to build the original portfolio

Confidence - because it's a numbers game, I'm quite happy to pay renewals for at least 5 years plus then revisit the market potential. wouldn't bother me for a moment to then drop many. Try explaining that strategy to novice domainers.

So I'm of the opposite opinion, Why on earth members want to keep flogging their dead-horses in public (not all) is beyond me. I don't want others following me or casting a critical eye I can do that quite adequately myself.

Finally NO, I don't want to be attracting offers from fellow domainers, I get enough of them from domains I've long since sold - mostly from newbies using very old whois lookup or Google history. I doubt I've ever had a domainer offer more than $500 or so for a domain, yet I've never sold any for less than $2,000, so no market synergy there then

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
I too, sell to end users, some of my domains are listed in my portfolio sites.

Cheers
Corey

•••
Upvote 0
I have noticed that most domainers do not do that
Hi

how many domainers did you count, to say "most of them"?

some members have link to their site or to marketplace where their names are listed, in their signature.

imo...

•••
Upvote 0
I've never thought about it really but it wouldn't bother me who saw my portfolio.

There are a couple of long threads for regs and purchases of the day so there must be a few who want to share their names.

•••
Upvote 0
Serious Domain Investors won't put quality names in namepros to get $20 offers from irrational domainers.

•••
Upvote 0
Here is another approach, some domainers will scrape those portfolios, add them to their CRM/lists, and leech on drops, analyze their profit rates and build profiles on this. Also there is another darker thing that I've never seen anyone talk about, the death of a domain portfolio owner... some will feed on their names after passing away, and having a list of domains from a particular person can gain advantage over someone who do regular backorders (I won't give more details, but I've seen bidding wars just to distract the others from other names). I mean a simple example is the association with the 23&Me database that was leaked (over 25m entries with health issues, names, addresses, predictable behavior, and stuff like that), and I can bet my trashy domains that there are people that own domain names there. This is usually based on whois info gathering and profiling. Now I know that many experienced domainers are taking cautions regarding whois info, privacy or portfolio security, but most of them don't (that can be easily mass-checked), and in some parts of the world, they can become targets, and no, not like stealing, but leveraging their gaps (debt, gambling, health issues, compromising info, and so on), I mean there are hundred of thousands of 6 and 7 figure names out there that are still undeveloped or that they belong to an individual that can be easily identified... just saying.

It might seem like a paranoid fairy tale story, but when it comes to money, avoiding taxes or asset transfer time/simplicity, creativity has no limit or ethics 🤷‍♂️. Stay safe and secure your portfolios.

•••
Upvote 0
Here is another approach, some domainers will scrape those portfolios,
Interesting thoughts shared above. The dark but realistic side to domain/owner searches. I disappeared from namepros for about a month. (last month) Spent it all in Saint Barts hospital in London having open-heart surgery. Silly me thought I would recover like a youngster, even took my laptop with me - Well I can tell you that didn't even get plugged in. Didn't want to mention it here before, until I came out the other end. Yes, I had to think about my domains. of course domains wouldn't have mattered to me if things didn't go well but, I made sure my brother knew exactly where to find my Accounts book for everything.

Good ol'NHS for taking care of everything as scheduled, now have a chest scar that looks like i've been unzipped from neck down, but I do agree with Tudor V probably scenarios that we don't think about as youngsters but the older you get the more it comes to the forefront.

I've no doubt there are individuals out there looking to link asset ownership to personal postings with opportunities to be exploited

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Interesting thoughts shared above. The dark but realistic side to domain/owner searches. I disappeared from namepros for about a month. (last month) Spent it all in Saint Barts hospital in London having open-heart surgery. Silly me thought I would recover like a youngster, even took my laptop with me - Well I can tell you that didn't even get plugged in. Didn't want to mention it here before, until I came out the other end. Yes, I had to think about my domains. of course domains wouldn't have mattered to me if things didn't go well but, I made sure my brother knew exactly where to find my Accounts book for everything.

Good ol'NHS for taking care of everything as scheduled, now have a chest scar that looks like i've been unzipped from neck down, but I do agree with Tudor V probably scenarios that we don't think about as youngsters but the older you get the more it comes to the forefront.

I've no doubt there are individuals out there looking to link asset ownership to personal postings with opportunities to be exploited

I hope recovery from surgery goes as planned. Best wishes!

•••
Upvote 0
now have a chest scar that looks like i've been unzipped from neck down,
strong.jpg

💐..........✌️......🫵.........💪........!

•••
Upvote 0
Here is another approach, some domainers will scrape those portfolios, add them to their CRM/lists, and leech on drops, analyze their profit rates and build profiles on this. Also there is another darker thing that I've never seen anyone talk about, the death of a domain portfolio owner... some will feed on their names after passing away, and having a list of domains from a particular person can gain advantage over someone who do regular backorders (I won't give more details, but I've seen bidding wars just to distract the others from other names). I mean a simple example is the association with the 23&Me database that was leaked (over 25m entries with health issues, names, addresses, predictable behavior, and stuff like that), and I can bet my trashy domains that there are people that own domain names there. This is usually based on whois info gathering and profiling. Now I know that many experienced domainers are taking cautions regarding whois info, privacy or portfolio security, but most of them don't (that can be easily mass-checked), and in some parts of the world, they can become targets, and no, not like stealing, but leveraging their gaps (debt, gambling, health issues, compromising info, and so on), I mean there are hundred of thousands of 6 and 7 figure names out there that are still undeveloped or that they belong to an individual that can be easily identified... just saying.

It might seem like a paranoid fairy tale story, but when it comes to money, avoiding taxes or asset transfer time/simplicity, creativity has no limit or ethics 🤷‍♂️. Stay safe and secure your portfolios.
It’s a good thing i renewed many of my domains to 2032

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Yeah, it looks like many domainers don't share their portfolios as openly as you do. There could be different reasons for that. Some folks prefer keeping things private, maybe because they're concerned about competition or just like it that way. Others might not know how useful it can be to showcase their domains more. In the end, everyone's free to decide what they want to do with their domains.

•••
Upvote 0
Yeah, many domainers don't share their portfolios as openly as you do. There could be different reasons for that. Some folks prefer keeping things private because they're concerned about competition or just like it that way. Others might not know how useful it can be to showcase their domains more. Ultimately, everyone's free to decide what they want to do with their domains.
Yes everyone is free, and everyone is free to change his mind about anything.
I am learning, maybe I learn the reasons and become more private with my domains.

•••
Upvote 0
one of the points: it makes no sense (and even counterproductive) to show stylish names to unstylish people.

•••
Upvote 0
Got nothing to lose---showing all my domains at Squarely.com

if you don't want to show your domains, you should not be in this business.

•••
Upvote 0
one of the points: it makes no sense (and even counterproductive) to show stylish names to unstylish people.
LOLOLOLOLOL

•••
Upvote 0
If you are selling to end users there is absolutely no benefit to making your portfolio public, and you only increase risk.

We're not selling pop, candy and chips here, and a buyer who is looking to purchase an expensive domain for 5-figures is never ever going to think "gee, I wonder what other domains he/she has?". :xf.rolleyes: :ROFL:

But it does increase a domainer's risk level, as now everyone can see which domains you own, and if these are expensive domains then you quickly come under the radar of 3rd-world scammers and identity thieves.

Also, if a company is thinking of initiating a UDRP against you then they have an open view of your portfolio (negating WHOIS privacy) and are free to pick and choose a few select ones (out of the hundreds or thousands) that fit their narrative of portraying you as a scumbag IP squatter.

Never give people valuable free info that offers you absolutely zero benefit.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0

Hope you are feeling better.

•••
Upvote 0
If your strategy involves cornering the market for a certain sale, revealing your entire domain portfolio might not be wise. Consider a gold rush scenario: It's often more profitable to sell shovels than to mine for gold. However, if the miners know you're the only shovel supplier, they might resent the lack of options and feel coerced, which could negatively impact sales.

Keeping your portfolio private maintains your negotiating power, allows for tactical flexibility in sales, and prevents potential buyers from feeling cornered or manipulated by a single dominant seller.IMHO

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back