Dynadot

discuss Time for a break?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
As we all know, domaining can be an addictive business, and I wonder how beneficial it would actually be to take a break and 'refresh'.

Did you take a break from domaining, and if so for how long?
Did it make any difference? Did it make you a better or worse domainer/investor?

Or... maybe we are all complete addicts, and taking a break to refresh is simply out of the question!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am addicted and enjoy it. It's my hobby, so no break

•••
As we all know, domaining can be an addictive business, and I wonder how beneficial it would actually be to take a break and 'refresh'.

Did you take a break from domaining, and if so for how long?
Did it make any difference? Did it make you a better or worse domainer/investor?

Or... maybe we are all complete addicts, and taking a break to refresh is simply out of the question!

I'm not sure if this counts, but I've taken breaks before to study the industry and try to improve the quality of names or the strategy I'm using.

•••
If I miss a single day of going through the expired domains lists, I hate myself. :-P

•••
I take a break of around 8 hours everyday when I am sleeping but then I can't help dreaming about my handreg domain selling for 6 figures :sleep::greedy:

Last edited:
•••
I take a break when my account is overdrawn. :xf.laugh:

All kidding aside it is important to take a step back once in a while and analyze your situation. I think any strong production requires short breaks, for me it was browsing namepros (I miss the parties and auctions, was a tighter community back then with RJ involved)or watching domain sherpa(Cygers enthusiasm is contagious). I have no choice to unplug daily for my job but havent been known to step away from the computer in the past. Don't stand on the sidelines too long, I tried to take a year off and it cost me some hand regged 5Ls as they were coming to fruition. I find myself keeping a better eye on the aftermarket these days. You will find your balance, stay strong.

•••
I've taken a break recently, and I see that I've got 112 names expiring within the next 25 days. I guess it's time to do some pruning, and to hit the fire sales lists here. :)

•••
I took a break for about 8 years, when i first started back in 2008 i just purchased crap and wasted a lot of money. But when i came back i didn't repeat my mistakes and changed my approach. I have a system in place now that sees me a good return and slowly scaling my portfolio from the profits

•••
When one get offers/sales there is no need for break..I mean, who would need the break when someone gives you nice financial offer?

So that question about break maybe should be transformed into something else: that would be, am I getting enough nice offers/sales to compensate for my time and energy? And the simple solution for that is to concentrate on quality of the names in the portfolio..it is much easier to have smaller amount of high quality names, then large amount of bad low quality names...this knowledge usually comes only after several years of domaining.

•••
I'm just getting over my break. To put it into a car analogy, I put myself down into second gear for about a year. Let a ton of names drop on purpose, re-evaluated, reflected, but still visited Namepros and the best domain blogs daily just to kind of stay in the loop. Domains can be addictive sometimes so it's good to step back and slow it down so you can see the landscape instead of having tunnel vision running at 200 mph.

Popping it into third and fourth gear for about a month then I'll hammer the throttle after summer is over. Hopefully won't crash and burn to fast. 😀

•••
it's good to step back and slow it down so you can see the landscape instead of having tunnel vision running at 200 mph

I like that.

•••
I'm just getting over my break. To put it into a car analogy, I put myself down into second gear for about a year. Let a ton of names drop on purpose, re-evaluated, reflected, but still visited Namepros and the best domain blogs daily just to kind of stay in the loop. Domains can be addictive sometimes so it's good to step back and slow it down so you can see the landscape instead of having tunnel vision running at 200 mph.

Popping it into third and fourth gear for about a month then I'll hammer the throttle after summer is over. Hopefully won't crash and burn to fast. 😀
Think I was clocked doing 220. Then I read your post and suddenly my foot lifted off the peddle and I downshifted.

Plus when I looked in my mirror I seen the budget police on my tail.

I agree you can get caught up very easy in the addictiveness of buying domain names. Being discipline is a must imo

•••
While I've owned domains since 1999, technically I only really started domaining seriously (not buying with main intention for potential development) in Fall 2016 (a little over a year and a half ago).

I've made some nice sales .. but at the same time my portfolio has grown to the point where time management is a serious concern (I have a "real world" job, need to walk SteamieTheHotDog.com, tending to serious issues (because of a death mid-transaction) from a former business.

Because of that I've tried taking my foot off the throttle so to speak. (Fortunately/unfortunately .. lol) I've now passed the point where I've dropped some of my initial "learning" domains, and now find myself renewing over 90% of my portfolio .. which leaves little room for new acquisitions given the above .. but I am very happy with the domains I'm buying .. yet my new years resolution to go down to 1000 domains failed miserably .. lol .. because of sales and past drops I'm at about the same 1700-1800 domains for a while now .. but unless I start wholesaling, my portfolio is going to start growing again because most of my portfolio are now undroppables .. lol.

So I most certainly have taken my foot off the gas so to speak .. I'm buying less .. for those of you who follow my daily lists here at NamePros you've likely noticed that I'm sharing a more than before .. I'm not talk about volume (that is way up simply because I'm going through more names on the expiration lists), but I'm talking about the fact I'm holding back a much smaller percentage of domains (because I was hoping to buy them personally myself so obviously didn't want to make them public .. lol).

I do enjoy going through the lists .. I've gotten quite good and efficient at it (if only I was able to show my full personal list) .. and I do enjoy sharing the lists. Quite a few people go through my lists every day .. yet few people actually buy using the affiliate links :( .. so I'm at the point where I have to figure out my future in the world of domains. Because if I stop sharing the lists, I just know I'll be buying more domains than I am now .. lol .. which I just won't have time to manage .. or at least not until I hopefully one day make the jump to be a domainer full time.

Or I suppose .. the other alternative is doing as discussed in this thread .. just take a break from the lists and buying .. maybe even try a bit of outbound as a "break" from buying .. lol. Really curious to see what others say here .. particularly those like me .. who put in just about a full time effort .. but still not officially leaving their "real world" jobs!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back