IT.COM

news Three Things TLD Registries Must Know About China's Domain Name Regulation

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Recently there have been a number of news reports/articles that are incorrect or misleading in interpreting China's domain name management policy (here and here). James has posted an article aiming to clarify what is going to in China's domain name market. Considering the potential negative impact of those reports on the participants of this market, I supplement James's post by pointing out three things, which I believe critical for any TLD registries that hope to have a better understand of China's domain name regulation and the special action based on it.
First, it is the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT, formerly known as Ministry of Information Industry (MIT)) that is conducting a round of special action on domain name registration market according to the Measures for the Administration of Internet Domain Names (MIT Administrative Order No. 30, hereinafter as the Regulation).
Second, the guideline of this action is the Regulation mentioned above (the full-text translation in English can be found here). The Regulation has always been publically available for free since its inception in 2004. Over the past one decade, all the players in this market are fully aware of the existence and the contents of this regulation.
Third, MIIT's window is always open for applicants who might be interested in entering the Chinese market but have not been approved yet. All the materials needed for the application have been clearly listed in the Regulation.
It is regretful that some panic has been observed among registries and registrars due to those incorrect reports. However, based on my interaction with government officials and industry leaders, there is no need to panic.
Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back