IT.COM

Thoughts on NameBright?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Saw a nice post on DNW about namebright and now the bright orange banners here on namepros. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
freespeech - please send me your phone number you called from. We have logs of caller ID's and I want to look into who closed the ticket - why - and why you did not get a call back from us. Thank you. I am still waiting to receive a PM that tells me your domain in question so I can look into it for you.

•••
Rebies,

Have you guys decided pricing for privacy protection or still kept old pricing?

•••
NameBright is by far the best registrar I have ever dealt with in all facets. I'm not sure what this conjecture is in regards to front-running but I think we all know if Reberry wants to dropcatch a domain, his 50+ registrars are going to make sure he has no problem getting it.

Additionally, wouldn't it just be more lucrative for him to look at highly backordered domains on NameJet and just beat out NJ in the drop for all of those names? But I don't think he even does that. I'm amazed he's even down here in the forums conversing with the little people to be honest with you. That shows his character as a business man and his dedication to pleasing his customers. Since the beginning of this thread (and I read it in its entirety), every issue/complaint presented was either remedied in one way or the other.

NameBrights back-end is absolutely amazing for bulk management of domains, changing things quickly (previously I had thought NameSilo was superior--but they are slower and its difficult to navigate back and forth between pages because of all the form post based redirects). Namebright, on the other hand, uses very nifty modal popups with percentage bars.

•••
Domainace: We accept Paypal. Right now it is only for funding accounts, and not in the checkout process. Go to: NameBright.com > My Account > My Settings > Billing > Add Funds

You will be able to add funds to your account with Paypal from there.

We are working on integrating Paypal into the checkout process but have not published the code we are still testing and working on.

Thank you for your initial review. I would love to hear what you think one or two months after using our system with real domains. If you have any issues or concerns PM me here.

Andrew

There is no PayPal support in shopping cart.
Almost 2 years have passed since your last post on the subject and you have not integrated PayPal into the checkout process.
If a customer wishes to purchase through PayPal, he has to fund his account first(3% of funding is lost due to PayPal fee).
This is very disappointing.

•••
When are you guys going to offer free whois privacy after first year? This is the only thing that keeps me from moving my portfolio from NameSilo. Also, Paypal integration without 3% fee would be the icing on the cake, but I'd be ok without that. Free privacy is what I'm after.

•••
However, regarding the registration code that is turned down for a .COM transfer by NameBright, I have now the certainty that this is a bug with NameBright. Two indicators:

1) NameSilo's support has proved very helpful, and very fast (they deserve to be praised for that, a very reliable registrar): they have even provided me with a screenshot from Verisign (registry), and the auth code provided by NameSilo (and turned down as invalid by NameBright) IS correct indeed.

2) I have conducted another test: I have initiated (without completing it) a transfer for the same name to two other registrars (Dynadot and Hexonet): BOTH identified the auth code as valid.

This means - beyond doubt, it seems - that there is a bug in NameBright system for validating SOME auth codes. A serious problem, IMHO.

This pops up for every second domain I tried to transfer in the last month. I can't believe it's still not fixed after 14 months. Restarting the transfer, or cancelling and starting again - doesn't help a bit. I'm going to have to choose another registrar as some domains are expiring today...

•••
This pops up for every second domain I tried to transfer in the last month. I can't believe it's still not fixed after 14 months. Restarting the transfer, or cancelling and starting again - doesn't help a bit. I'm going to have to choose another registrar as some domains are expiring today...

Haven't been able to register or transfer any .COM in 72hrs. Would really appreciate an update of any kind...

•••
NameBright sucks so far.

They don't do refunds of any kind apparently. If you happen to register a domain late at night and don't like it in the morning, or realize it's misspelled, oh well! They won't refund you. Godaddy has no problem doing this.

They won't use the remainder of the funds in your account for your domain purchases if it's less than the price of the registration/renewal fee. If you have $6.00 in your account funds and the domain cost $8.53, they won't take the $2.53 from your CC. They'll charge your card $8.53 and leave the $5.00 in your account funds, which is stupid.

•••
How long do these name squatter cons hang on to a domain name for? I'm not paying their ridiculous prices I was just curious about a time frame or if they just hold them indefinitely. I'll make other arrangements if that's the case.

•••
How long do these name squatter cons hang on to a domain name for? I'm not paying their ridiculous prices I was just curious about a time frame or if they just hold them indefinitely. I'll make other arrangements if that's the case.

we hold them indefinitely because we want the caaaaash.. but if for some reason one guy forgets to pay renewal fees, other guys catch it before it expires so people like you have no choice but to pay us the caaaash.

•••
Namebright are a joke

It's a wonder why ANYONE would want to leave more than a few domains with them.
They're not ready for prime time - and never will be.

1/ Can only have, at most, ONE set of WHOIS details applicable for ALL domains

So if you require different WHOIS details for various domains - can't do it

Once you amend WHOIS details in Contol Panel, it changes EVERY domain you hold with them

For Transfers in, if incoming domain has a specific WHOIS, when it transfers in to NBright, that WHOIS will change to the WHOIS in your NBright control panel

2/ AUTH CODE on bulk Transfers out seem to require 2 or 3 goes to be successful

Get errors

3/ Transfer In often, it takes a few HOURS before you get the confirming email

Whereas Godaddy always seems to be almost instant

4/ Not the cheapest

Make it hard (discourage) to pay via Paypal by having to do a lump prepayment first

5/ Don't give bulk discounts for domains in Redemptions

Not that they're obliged to..

But Godaddy does it if you're an Exec Account

Fk 'em & Rabies

Last edited:
•••
Namebright are a joke

It's a wonder why ANYONE would want to leave more than a few domains with them.
They're not ready for prime time - and never will be.

So if you require different WHOIS details for various domains - can't do it

Once you amend WHOIS details in Contol Panel, it changes EVERY domain you hold with them

For Transfers in, if incoming domain has a specific WHOIS, when it transfers in to NBright, that WHOIS will change to the WHOIS in your NBright control panel

Get errors

Whereas Godaddy always seems to be almost instant

4/ Not the cheapest

Make it hard (discourage) to pay via Paypal by having to do a lump prepayment first

But Godaddy does it if you're an Exec Account

Fk 'em & Rabies
@Drunker were you drunk and pissed when you wrote this? Rabies? lmao

Not ready for prime time? Hahaha, apparently you don't know who runs this company.

NB platform is robust, easiest to use in the industry, very domainer friendly...never had problems transferring..transferred hundreds of domains in and out. Transfers are pretty much instant.

Free first year of privacy at NB, why do you need different whois for different names in same account? That seems a little questionable in itself.

Pretty damn cheap.. $8.03 reg/renewal/transfer $8.53 if you don't preload funds in your account. Go ahead and store all your premium .coms in a fly by night registrar that's cheaper than this. Good luck

Boohoo you let a bunch of names expire and they won't give you a discount to get them out of redemption.

Last edited:
•••
Hello @Drunker , I'll respond to each of your points below.

This is the default setting, but you can always manage individual WHOIS details (We call this "Contact Information" in our system) at the domain level. For our more advanced users, you can create Categories and manage your contact information (And all other settings, such as NameServers, Host Records, Auto Renew, etc.) for groups of domains.

I'm not sure what you mean on this. In order to get your Auth Codes for domains, you simply need to unlock the domains. This can be done on an individual level, a category level, or as a list of domains from your "Manage Domains" page at https://www.namebright.com/Domains . Then, you can either view the auth codes in bulk by clicking "Customize Columns" from that page and adding "AuthCode" to your list, or you may go to your category settings page for your applicable category, scroll to the bottom, and click on the "Download Auth Codes" link.

If you are having issues getting auth codes for domains that are not locked, please let us know what is going on and we will assist further!

We use a 3rd party email delivery system to ensure higher success rates in our transactional emails. If it taking a long time to get the FOA for a COM/NET/CC/TV/ORG domain transfer, please let us know. Any other TLD is currently handled through another partner, and we do not directly handle the FOAs for those.

4/ Not the cheapest

We offer COM & NET domains at cost. What the registry charges us is what you will be charged for on these, provided that you pre-fund your account.

We do not have Paypal payments integrated into our current checkout process. This may be added in the future, but I cannot give an estimate as to when it will happen.

We generally do not give bulk discounts for services. If you ever feel like yours is a special case, please feel free to contact our support department and they will see if they can get an approval for that. It is not a common practice, but I will not say that it is impossible.

If you ever have any questions, concerns, issues, or anything, you may always contact our support department via email, and they will help you to the best of their ability. Email is the preferred option, as we do not have 24/7 phone support currently. You are able to contact them at [email protected].

•••
NameBright is one of the best registrars.. For me, NameSilo & NameBright are on top of the list of the best registrars. NameSilo has better support, NameBright has better pricing. I prefer better pricing and might transfer all my domains there someday.

•••

PM me if you want to talk about domain names. I might be able to help you acquire a domain name that fits your budget.

•••
PM me if you want to talk about domain names. I might be able to help you acquire a domain name that fits your budget.

I have the budget to pay the domain I want but I refuse to pay those type of prices. I'll sacrifice a .com I just wanted to know if and when these companies let them expire. It's ok I'll just trademark the name so no one else can use it anyway.

•••
I have the budget to pay the domain I want but I refuse to pay those type of prices. I'll sacrifice a .com I just wanted to know if and when these companies let them expire. It's ok I'll just trademark the name so no one else can use it anyway.

I came in on the end of this conversation. so please forgive me if I missed something in the beginning of this conversation. NameBright is a Registrar for domain names. They have the cheapest price you can pay for a regular domain purchase, at cost, $8.03, IIRC. As such they do not sell registered domain names.

This thread is about NameBright, Registrar. Not about HugeDomains/DropCatch, which use NameBright as their Register. If you are referring to HugeDomains/DropCatch registering a domain which you want, and the price is too expensive.My best advice would be to find a better thread to post your complaint. Or create a new thread.

Then it would be to register or buy an alternative domain name. HD does drop plenty of domains, but not to any pattern anyone has so far discerned. My feeling would be that they at least take into consideration the traffic and amount of views a domain gets. I don't know if they check the TM Registry, but if they do, I would suggest that it would be at least 1 reason supporting the argument to not drop the domain. And there is no guarantee that if they drop the domain, it will not be picked up by another drop-catcher. And the cycle repeats.

I don't take seriously your threat to trademark the domain name you want, because a trademark would not prevent another owner from using the domain for something not in your trademark. So it would have severely limited consequences. And therefore a complete waste of money. Besides which, you are not targeting the people who seem to have done you most harm.

•••
Rebies, I have an emergency. I'm trying to renew a PREMIUM DOMAIN I've hosted on namebright.com that's about to expire but the web has declined over 7 different credit cards when trying to checkout.
I've tried to contact them but they haven't got back to me and namebright.com doesn't give me alternatives or solutions to solve this problem.
Please advice.
I'm about to loose a valuable premium domain and I'm desperate to renew it.

•••
Everythings with NB is ok, exeprt after a years I want to renew my domain Their system want verify my phonenumber, and when it accept my verify. Nothings happen, it still require my phone verify.
I've tried to contact them but still don't have any information.
May be I will lose my domain :-<
And never use NB again.

•••
Everythings with NB is ok, exeprt after a years I want to renew my domain Their system want verify my phonenumber, and when it accept my verify. Nothings happen, it still require my phone verify.
I've tried to contact them but still don't have any information.
May be I will lose my domain :-<
And never use NB again.

Email at this address

[email protected]

•••
Am trying to buy a domain at NameBright that has expired and is in their care. Have not been able to get anyone on the phone and messages left on the contact form are not being returned. If any from NameBright is around, please contact me.

•••
same problem with Phone Verification here...
was sent a code via sms when was creating an acc, everything went smooth and fast
logging in today, getting:

"We have detected that the phone number you provided might not be valid. Before you can continue to use NameBright to buy additional domain names and products, you first need to confirm a valid phone number for your account."

trying to verify via sms - no codes received, silence...
trying to verify via a phone call - no calls either...

@Rebies could you please fix that.
account is totally locked, very irritating...

sent email to [email protected]

thanks in advance

PS regged the name at Namesilo instead.

•••
same story- not able to login in existing account, getting message to verify phone, however namebright doesn't send any codes to make verification possible.

Besides called 3 times with 2 hours intervall today, always same answer "all agents are busy", wrote email on [email protected] - silence.

@4pm, was your issue from 11 may resolved!?

Last edited:
•••
same story- not able to login in existing account, getting message to verify phone, however namebright doesn't send any codes to make verification possible.

Besides called 3 times with 2 hours intervall today, always same answer "all agents are busy", wrote email on [email protected] - silence.

@4pm, was your issue from 11 may resolved!?

resolved by changing the phone number to another one...

..and today it happened again: please verify your phone number, no sms, no calls...
tried two different phone numbers - not working...

i verified the account three or four times already. how many times i need to do it until it gets finally verified, and i cant even if i wished cause sms/calls dont get thru for some reason.

@Rebies can you please turn that phone verification stuff off please.
or just comment on the issue here at least

still cant access the acc.
sent email to [email protected]
waiting... with an idiotic face, admittedly

thanks in advance

Last edited:
•••
@Rebies NameBright is one of the best registrars. Great interface, great pricing. I just need two more things from NameBright:

1. Better Support - Support team takes days to reply. Other registrars had awesome email support but now they're adding Live Chat support too which will be a great addition to NameBright. Due to DropCatch, the number of people using NameBright has increased a lot and maybe that's why support needs time to reply to all the emails, but that should not be an excuse right. Hire more guys please :)
  2. AfterNic and Sedo Premium partnership - Few days ago several domain names were about to expire at NameBright, I never thought I am going to transfer out from NameBright but I preferred a registrar that is AfterNic and Sedo Premium partner over cheap renewal. And so I paid more money for transfer than I would've had to pay renewing at NameBright. I sent this request through email too but didn't receive a reply.
I have dozens of domains expiring in a few months, if NameBright becomes a partner of both AfterNic and Sedo, there is no doubt I'll transfer all of my domains there.

I hope NameBright will continue to improve like their competitors. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back