IT.COM

Those who use only a notepad

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am a fulltime web developer.
I use DreamWeaver 12 hours a day (8 hours at work, 4 hours at home for fun).

What I want to know is... I hear people saying "I only use notepad" a lot
What kind of work do they do with just a notpad?
I manage 30-40 websites.. several websites with shopping carts and programs... many websites have 50~100+ pages interlinking each others.
So... are there people doing all that with just a notepad? I just don't see how that's possible.

I know it sounds cool and impressive to say "I don't need no stinking DreamWeaver" or "I do everything with Vim".
But, anyway, more power to the "notepad only" web developers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I only code in Notepad2 (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html) and the file editor in CuteFTP which is basically a crappy version of Notepad.

I code PHP, MySQL, (X)HTML, CSS, and JS.

Dreamweaver just annoys me.

•••
I first started out in notepad. I was not using any kind of wysiwyg, DW or FP at all for 4 years. I was in high school, and the free FTP programs helped me manage my sites just fine. Not ever using an editor, I didn't know what I was missing. I couldn't imagine doing wysiwyg for web design and didn't know what else an editor had to offer. I didn't have money and wanted to maximize my earnings without throwing away money on extra software. I started learning on notepad and I stuck with it.

I got my first job for a design company after being out of high school for a year. They were at first unbelieving I did all my sites by hand in notepad, but after viewing the source code they were convinced I immediately got the top position for the web design team. They said once I started with DW (which was standard in the company) there would be no turning back.

There wasn't.

And now I can't believe I was using only notepad for 4 years!!

:laugh:

But looking back, I realize it was a great way to really learn to code. There are too many hints and cheats that can result in sloppy coding without the crutch of an editor.

•••
If you start off with notepad, you probably can do some pretty neat tricks with CSS etc. Also, you will learn alot about the codes and you are probably better at troubleshooting.

I personally use a text editor (textpad) for web development that requires programming i.e. PHP and DW for static pages (design).,

•••
Yeah, I use notepad to code a few templates, since they are minor fixes, otherwise, it might be PSPad or something like that.

And for graphics? Microsoft Paint.

•••
Although I don't technically use notepad, I do use Crimson Editor which is virtually the same as notepad although it has syntax highlighting (it colours various parts of code to make it clearer) and it has tabs so I can work on multiple pages from one window.

"What do I do?" - everything. PHP, html, javascript, css, firefox extensions.

You learn a lot more, and can accomplish more if you do it all by hand.

•••
It is completely possible. All I use DW for is coloring the lines of code. I don't use visual or anything. I find it very easy in DW because the colors are all pretty and I have gotten used to the interface.

•••
I;ve also got some sites on my hands and because of the many projects and limited time I also use Dreamweaver. I cannot make my clients wait too much, so that I code anything, this is why Dreamweaver saves me a lot of time. The coding styff I do with Crimson Editor, but the layouts are put together fasted when I use the WYSIWYG editor.

•••
Start -> Run -> Notepad (Probably Did that a million times...)
I am a website developer... 30 Hours a week on avarage.
To build my websites I code in PHP with mysql etc. Notepad does the trick... Every other text editor does the same. Highlights are cool, I use syn text editor.. also.

Dreamweaver... IMO it disables your skill... I can spot a dreamweaver site when I take a look at the source... It $#$*#@'s it all up...

No offence tho... Dreamweaver is ok, I just don't prefer it.

Mark

•••
Mark then there are people like me that code with DW but do all hand coding. You wouldn't be able to tell I used it. It looks just like notepad code :). 1337ish.

•••
Dreamweaver is an expensive software(Toy) really.

As SV often says PHP DESIGNER is a very good software. Code colours and allsorts, i have grown to love it now, i do almost every coding job i do, with it.

•••
I started out with notepad too however i fell in love with colors and dreamweaver:)

Sw

•••
I use Dreamweaver for web design, occasionally have to use the design view.

For PHP coding, i use PHP Designer. Great program. :D

Everything my PC needs. (Execpt FireFox and Java for the chat) :D

•••
I use Notepad+ (might have changed name, or added new features, I use a real old version..) only difference between it and normal notepad is syntax highlighting.

I never have liked things that added their own code

•••
I used notepad for about 2 years untill dreamweaver came along. It's saved me typing out html codes really, and it also highlights and colours certain pieces of code which is easier.

•••
Dan Friedman said:
I only code in Notepad2 (http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html) and the file editor in CuteFTP which is basically a crappy version of Notepad.

I code PHP, MySQL, (X)HTML, CSS, and JS.

Dreamweaver just annoys me.
I use the CuteFTP text editor as well to code all my stuff. I do my designs in Photoshop, then code them in the editor. It works, so I don't really see the need to use anything else.

•••
I use notepad on windows & pico/nano on linux. Both work great and I've built some pretty huge sites (mainly in php/mysql).

•••
Notepad, the lightest and fastest editor. huhuhu

im usin notepad, since years ago too :D.
it's hard to fully css coding in Dreaweaver, it's all about DIV and TABLE :D

php-ing with HTML-kit .

•••
When I first began coding, I used Dreamweaver and TopStyle Pro. But I never really liked the WYSIWYG end fo Dreamweaver. Then, I moved to another place and bought my self a new notebook which didn't have DW or TSP. So I was forced to go get myself PHP Editor, which I'm still using.

•••
•••
Wow nick those are some pretty tight designs to be done with notepad :o

•••
HEHEHHE. Yeah. I also have some other site. Each has more then 150,000 lines of code in it. and 730 files in it. Interlinked all done with Just Notepad. And 8 months. 10 Months. 5 Months developing time spent after it.

•••
I do all my coding with a text editor because I often find that I need to make small, quick changes, and if I'm used to doing the whole site in vi, then it's easy to just SSH in and make the necessary changes.

•••
Well, notepad is very useful if you want to do some stuffs manually but yet, I cant say I'm a pure notepad user. I preffer winhex and also netobjects fusion since it makes work faster. Winhex gives me an option to highlight the codes (sometimes autohighlight) and netobjects a wysiwyg program makes me work 10 times much faster. Yet, I hail to everyone who just uses notepad to create site!

•••
@nick_mayhem are you serious? just notepad?
All your sites seems to be like free templates downloaded from free template sites and just edited for your needs with notepad ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back