Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

The Worst gtld?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

wot

Top Member
Impact
3,799
The majority are pretty awful and are likely to go belly up.

Which is your favorite worst gtld?

I will start with .desi, had no idea what it meant until I used our online search friend.

But I bought 2! Desis.desi & Pro.Desi
 
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
.HORSE

Why oh why does the world need a .HORSE... as it is I don't think equestrian related domains take up much of any existing extensions.

On the upside, bigasa.horse is still available. :-o
 
0
•••
isn't there also a .fish? horrible.

I think dot wtf is pretty bad also, when it comes to business...besides from a marketing perspective, the fact that you can make anything go viral, regardless of an extension doesn't say anything about the quality of an extension alone.

I can see .wtf being useful to consumers that are complaining about merchants, or political leaders, or as prank sites, humorous videos, etc. It certainly will not appeal to any 'serious' businesses, but then again if there can be a successful tshirt site at tshirthell dot com ( that's where all the bad shirts go ) , there could be some fun tshirt businesses, or gag type businesses on the extension. But .ooo and that ilk, not so much.
 
0
•••
I'm not even going to waste my time reading this at the moment. I can only speculate that once .xyz failed and was called out giving freebies away and forced opt-in domains at NetSol, they stopped all those practices where they were being called out to read their million registration mark.

However in Asia; speaking Japan specifically, they picked up a huge number of domains at Onamae.com (the GoDaddy of Japan) on 3 different days. A total of 71,794 at the time of this post with a surprising one day peak of 5,713, followed by another spike of 9,500 even (how convenient that it was rounded off) and another spike of 6,627 on 10/31/2014.

With GMO (Onamae), .xyz accounts for 56.3% of their total registrations.

You see the same pattern with Xin Net as you do Onamae.

Something smells fishy, and it's not rotten tuna.

So potential in China? No.

I can attest for the domain names in Japan as I've been here for so long. A lot of companies don't realize a .co.jp (expensive and restricted), .jp (~$100) or a .com would significantly increase their business. That is why a lot of companies go belly up, because they pay for print advertising and distribution of flyers (which end up in the trash).

.info was huge as it was 99 cents. It is still widely being used for mom and pop companies.

When .xyz came out with freebies, I believe ~80 cents and now at a stunning amount of $1.55 to register (without coupons applied if they have a system of such), they have been having constant "registrations" (can only speculate they aren't defensive registrations as I haven't looked into them with a fine tooth comb).

Negari stated he would have 1,000,000 registrations by the end of the year. He got caught red handed in North America with the NetSol scandal. So the next best move was to Asia to crank the numbers up to 700k.

Will he make it? Yes, as long as he can recruit devil advocates on other continents (South America, Europe, Africa and Australia).

He may even break the numbers by mid December.

And that is why .xyz is by far the worst. Padding the numbers to dupe investors into an "aftermarket" of pure crap. Not only is it a bad gTLD, the company just doesn't have good business ethics.

I would really like to see the mission statement and core values of XYZ.COM, LLC., and not the fake ones they provide publicly, the internal ones in which they are thriving by.

Will he make one million this year, no doubt because well see and judge those of you that actually thinks .xyz is the flying pig to catch. Out of 1700 registered today meg8me6.xyz seems to be the best of them :)
 
0
•••
Will he make one million this year, no doubt because well see and judge those of you that actually thinks .xyz is the flying pig to catch. Out of 1700 registered today meg8me6.xyz seems to be the best of them :)
If he doesn't make his 1 million-inflated ego-attempt by December 15th; being the registry and possibly having access to registrar API's, I would only assume that he would purchase the remaining ones himself.

Essentially, he's getting paid to register his own names and losing out with nominal fees per name once they are purchased. God forbid he uses an affiliate program to cover those up as well... I could see him abusing that with what they've done so far.
 
1
•••
I can see .wtf being useful to consumers that are complaining about merchants, or political leaders, or as prank sites, humorous videos, etc
Don't we have .gripes and .sucks already ? How many redundant/overlapping extensions do we need ?
 
0
•••
What is the deal with all these extensions? Some are just ridiculous, seemingly trying to ruin the internet more than it is ruined already, since it is stuffed full of 99.9% spam and porn as it is.
 
0
•••
Some extensions are a type of Ponzi scheme. Operators make their money, but the laggard registrants are left holding the bag...
 
1
•••
I think there are many questionable new gTLD's but I also think there are many good ones out and more to come.

The not so good extensions may actually have diamonds in the rough because there are very few sensible word combos...
 
0
•••
Don't we have .gripes and .sucks already ? How many redundant/overlapping extensions do we need ?
So many that you forgot .exposed. :oops:
What is the deal with all these extensions? Some are just ridiculous, seemingly trying to ruin the internet more than it is ruined already, since it is stuffed full of 99.9% spam and porn as it is.
Did the gTLD's ruin the internet or porn? I think the chicken came first; and by that, the porn.
The not so good extensions may actually have diamonds in the rough because there are very few sensible word combos...
Tread with care if you don't have the capital to sustain registrations. You can find that diamond and hold onto it for 10 years before you get your first $100 offer. Then again, with the right combo, you can wait 10 months and have a $10,000 offer.

Be active and not passive. Be careful, do your due diligence and research. Don't register these merely on a hunch as you can get 2 LLLL.com's for the price of these gTLD's, which with current benchmarks, have more liquidity.
 
1
•••
The last part of this conversion suggests .com will not be the primary domain of choice?

What do you guys make of it?

[type http colon slash slash here]sullysblog.com/info-gtld
 
0
•••
Apart from some clever hacks they're near useless for domaining alone. Dot com is king for domaining and domain investing.

But I wouldn't mind buying one for an actual web business if it sounds cool. For example I bought myself a dot biz that dropped the other day because I fancied the look of it, but I'm never going to try to sell it.
 
0
•••
The way things are going, someone will release a .BIS as well, that would be confusing
 
0
•••
Apart from some clever hacks they're near useless for domaining alone. Dot com is king for domaining and domain investing.

But I wouldn't mind buying one for an actual web business if it sounds cool. For example I bought myself a dot biz that dropped the other day because I fancied the look of it, but I'm never going to try to sell it.

I heard a dot biz advertised on the radio last week. I believe that is only the second time in the last ten years I have actually encountered one. The first was a painting company and the second was in construction.
 
0
•••
.fail
.wtf
.ooo
and this list goes on.

Don't know how these ICANN guys approved singular and plural versions of gTLDs and encouraged an intrinsic competition between the gTLDs themselves.

They approved:

.property and .properties

.pic and .pics, and one step going further into this by approving .images, .photo and its plural.

.villas and soon there will be .villa

.condos and soon there will be .condo

.estate and soon there will be .realestate

.website is alive, and soon there will be .site, and they have already approved .online, and .web as well.

As usual, the winners are ICANN, Registries and the Registrars.
 
0
•••
What a mess, it is a great example of short fore-sight due to greed
 
0
•••
I don't agree that singular and plural of the same words is a disadvantage.

"florida.condos" is better than "florida.condo" for a real estate listing site.
"florida.condo" is better than "florida.condos" for an individual owner of a condo.

The singular and plural have different uses. There is no need to register both "florida.condos" and "florida.condo" by the same company since they server different uses.

Just like the English dictionary has many words that mean the same or similar, the different TLDs provide that extra nuance needed for a better domain targeted at a specific niche.
 
3
•••
I heard a dot biz advertised on the radio last week. I believe that is only the second time in the last ten years I have actually encountered one. The first was a painting company and the second was in construction.

Serious question. First, I think .biz sucks myself, always have. So you've only encountered it twice in the last 10 years. It has 2.4 million regs. So how often do you think you'll encounter some of the new ones, that only have a few thousand? There are so many now, with more to come, I bet a lot of domainers couldn't even name them all. I was going thru the list the other day and saw some that were out that I didn't even know. And these are people in the business.

I don't agree that singular and plural of the same words is a disadvantage.

It's a disadvantage if you're a domainer trying to sell them. The point .tv brought up is a good one that's been brought up before. There are so many variations of basically the same word, it just makes it harder to sell to an end user. For those that want extensions nobody has heard of, they can have their pick. They don't need your domain.
 
3
•••
"Bad" TLDs: .XYZ, .OOO, .MOBI, .PW, .WS, .IO and .CO, but i like domains powered by Verisign .TV and .CC
 
1
•••
.

.property and .properties

.pic and .pics, and one step going further into this by approving .images, .photo and its plural.

.villas and soon there will be .villa

.condos and soon there will be .condo

.estate and soon there will be .realestate

.website is alive, and soon there will be .site, and they have already approved .online, and .web as well.

As usual, the winners are ICANN, Registries and the Registrars.

Stinks of a money grab
 
1
•••
That would be a re-branded country code TLD ("ccTLD") for Columbia.

Just like .me, .pw, .ws and .io.
.me , if used properly could have a future.

But this thread is about the worst gtld? There are good ones? :P
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

Scheduled posts now show a small calendar icon
When NamePros posts something for you on a schedule, you will now see a small calendar icon before its date. Move your mouse over the...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back