Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

For this, let's assume that .tel will not be a total flop.

What type of keywords will be most valuable for this extension? Will it be geographical keywords, like newyork.tel, losangeles.tel, etc, or what else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is too early to say .tel marketing fail. I expect mobile internet will boom after recession. What kind of tech and domain will exceed nobody knows now.
So speculation chance keep stable.

•••
Example:

Granny Smith has heard about the dot tel domain.

She does not want to buy one for her self, because maintenance is too complicated for her.

But she knows, how simple "click2call" is...., and has decided, that she will use those .tel names, instead of dialing numbers.

But that she will be able to find any.tel, she will have be able to consult a .tel directory, from time to time, as she has a good memory, and can memorize easy .tel names, but will have to look up new ones, and those, she can't always keep in her mind.

In the meantime, there is a bunch of telsters are working on their directories, and are trying to write a open source script, etc.
Soon Granny Smith will have it much more easy to contact her family and friends, or to call up a doctor, or the food delivery service, etc.

Last edited:
•••
With .tel directories, there is one major problem:
And that is, that subdomain names are very long (mostly).

The solution would be the following:

For example, according to your subdomain structure in your directory, your subdomain name consists out of 5 names, that are put together, divided by a dot, each time. And at the end of the .tel subdomain name, stands a .tel domain name:

name1.name2.name3.name4.yourcompany.tel

Take away three names, like, and your subdomain name looks like this, for example:

name1.yourcompany.tel

Which would look fine.

And how should this be made possible?:

All names stay in the programming code, and are still there, but a few words are made invisible in the written subdomain name.

And you would only have to type a double-worded subdomain name, for a five-name-structured-name.

In other words: If it would get possible to shorten long subdomain names, a lot of companies would like to have a entry in a commercial .tel directory.

But, as I said: This is only wishful thinking, but could possiby be made true by some skilled programmers.
Conclusion:
It will be about solving some technical issues, and supporting directory owners.
And at the same time, offering .tel services to the mainstream user, as simple and cheap as possible.

Here's something interesting to respond to. :)
Today, should you wish to, you can have a directory that looks like this:
x.x.x.x.domain.tel
where every single subdomain is a single letter.
Furthermore, you could also have:
y.y.y.y.domain.tel
where both y.y.y.y and x.x.x.x have a link to:
plumber-joe.domain.tel

You can also, today, ensure that the visible name of x.x.x.x.domain.tel isn't "x" but any string you want. For example, in my domain henri.tel, the visible title is "Henri Asseily", which has nothing to do with the (sub)domain name.
Finally, also today (api only, coming to CTH in 2 weeks) you can label a link to x.x.x.x.domain.tel to be anything you want.

So, what does it mean? It means that today, all the requested features are there and available.

But then the question is...
why aren't people using x.x.x.x.plumbers.tel instead of malibu.los-angeles.ca.plumbers.tel?

And the answer is:
GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLEGOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLEGOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLEGOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLEGOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE

Yep, Google. The search engine that puts huge value in domain (and a bit less value in URL) strings.

Domain strings: the SEO secret weapon.

•••
Unless I am mistaken, this list of 3 letter .Tel domains is a bit faulty. I pulled up three domains beinning with "S" that are still available that are not on your list; one of which I just registered. FYI.

I am only counting all premium letters right now. Not all LLL, LNL, NLL or LLN. There are a ton of LLL that begin with S that contain 1 and 2 premium letters that are available. I'm not really too interested in those right now.

Premium letters are generally believed to be:

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T

Something like EFX or SKA wouldn't be included because of the X and K.

The information is gathered through the Name.com bulk registration tool. These are the names that it spit out.

•••
Thank you so much, Henry, for your information.
In other words, this is your message:

In the browser, you get for example:

"name1.name1.name3.name4.henry.tel"

But the name for that subdomain reads in the directory:

"Henry Asseily"

So: No more ugly subdomain names. Good!

Comming soon, respectively, in two weeks: API only, and coming to CTH.

So: If the directory company rents a subdomain name entry to a company "belladonna.com",
it won't be like: "Here is your name: "belladonna.name2.name3.name4.onlinelingerie.tel, $250 please."
But it will be " Here is your directory entry name: "belladonna.onlinelingerie.tel, $250/per year, please."

Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
@steveteva I think your analysis is completely wrong, especially about marketing and partnerships. It takes time to build out but this is a strategy you need to reach the market in a big way. I would say don't be impatient, but if you really want to liquidate your portfolio now then PM me your list, if it's any good then I may be interested :)

@lewisrx You're kidding. Why?

--

Lots of stuff coming up for telsters in Vancouver (courtesy of @onevancouver):

Monday Oct 5: News 1130 Radio campaign begins
Tuesday Oct 6: Make IT Business featuring .TEL interview with Cybele Negris
Wednesday Oct 7: Entreprenuer Showcase
Thursday Oct 8: BCAIM Event - George Moen, President of BlenzCoffee.tel will be on the panel
Friday Oct 9: .TEL Meetup Vancouver

I hope that my analysis is completely wrong for the best of us but I rarely go wrong on marketing and promotion, it's my business. When you say "It takes time to build out" of course youre right but given stamp dates I can't see the end of tunnel. Again Vancouver like UK is the only place in the world to promote .tel to a "niche" community mostly domainer and not end users.

It is too early to say .tel marketing fail. I expect mobile internet will boom after recession. What kind of tech and domain will exceed nobody knows now.
So speculation chance keep stable.

You say it!

Dot tel will not fail neither telnic but will reach a niche market and few countries only (UK, Vancouver...)

•••
Finally, also today (api only, coming to CTH in 2 weeks) you can label a link to x.x.x.x.domain.tel to be anything you want.

yes I agree with the sentiment, finally. it's definately worthy news.
Thanks telnic

Last edited:
•••
@steveteva We have to start somewhere, and I'm pretty happy with the momentum that's building.

Another event I forgot to include:
15th October - TelCamp Prague

•••
Hi Mactel, regarding your scenario, x1.x2.x3.tel, I just wanted to point out one thing but Henry said something similar with more knowledge and therefore authority.
Anyway, if you develop your .tel subfolder as x1.x2.x3.tel , register the .tel domain with the search engines like google, and then do a search a few months later in Google you might be pleasantly surprised to discover that a search for x1 x2 x3 in google will display your x1.x2.x3.tel as number one, and this is all that you might need to make your business a little better and more visible.

In my experience it often works for a combined x1, x2, x3 Google search but it works less well for a combined x1 x2 search. It is not always displayed as #1, but a lot of times a google searches for multiple words x1, x2, x3 display my .tel subfolder x1.x2.x3.tel as #1. Some people might say that the combined x1, x2, x3 search is too niche or specialized, but that is exactly how you sometimes find the people who try to find your services or .tel site. We are all unique people characterized by very specific terms on the computer (location, service, etc) and the customer also has very unique needs characterized by very specific terms that SEO optimization of competing sites do not target. .tel might be a cheap and convenient way to do that.

For me it seems to work OK for my business. Whenever one customer finds me in this way, it can pay the equivalent of about 10 yearly .tel registrations. That depends on what the goods that you offer through your .tel are.

The other thing that I am trying to figure out is if Google also displays results based on a history of previously visited sites, meaning if I spend time on Google searching for .tel before my combined search for x1, x2, x3, then Google might display x1.x2.x3.tel first on my computer but not on all computers that are virgins to .tel searches- I nevertheless found similar results for searches on computers in 3 different locations, so overall I am happy with the results.... By the way, other people alluded to the same thing, but didn't address it directly. I am wondering if other people who developed their .tel had the same experience, or prefer not to talk about it....

•••
Hello Stephan,
Thank you so much for your intersting comments.
Would it be possible, to know a bit more about you and your domaining activities?

Anyway:
I tried to follow your comments.

And I am only able to give you this feedback and opinion and thoughts:

The name of the random subdomain is for example:

malibu.losangeles.ca.plumbers.tel

But could also be soon used as:

a.b.c.plumbers.tel

or

plumberjoe.plumbers.tel

Now:
I think I understand you, in this way:

That, whenever using Google:

It will be better to use:

for a few different good reasons.

Google or some developers will solve the current issue:

The main aim is:
To use in future:

plumberjoe.plumbers.tel

instead of:

So that still remains our interest, to only use
plumberjoe.plumbers.tel
as often as possible, to simplfye our work.

Therefore, we will have to work at it, so that we will be able to give in only
plumberjoe.plumbers.tel
into Google, or any search engine.

Till this will be possible, and there I give you right: we will have to use the whole line of strings:
when using google, to be most efficient and effective.

No real problem, there, as a new solution and method, for typing in subdomians into serach engines, will be available, soon, I guess.

Kind regards.
P.S.:
Stephan,
You are talking about your experience, at present.
But the "name replacement / label" is not yet in use.

Anyway, it is quite clear, that using all strings in a subdomain word, such as
x1, x2, x3, x4, x5. company.tel works better than only x4, x5. company.tel

But (x1, x2, x3, x4, x5) will be replaceable by "plumberjoe", and later Google will have be able to read it that way, too, and our problem will be solved, and:
You will be able to give into Google either:

x1, x2, x3, x4, x5. company.tel

(respectively, a1, b2, c3, d4, d5. company.tel)

or

plumberjoe.plumbers.tel

and you should be able to get the same output and results.

Later, but not now.

Now it is still: x1, x2, x3, x4, x5. company.tel

- And as you say: It is better than just giving in:

x4, x5. company.tel

Of course, you get more and better search results, the more details and info you feed the search engine with...

No wonder....

But handling will have to be easy, and all .tel domain and .tel subdomain names, short.

Last edited:
•••
Anyway, if you develop your .tel subfolder as x1.x2.x3.tel , register the .tel domain with the search engines like google, and then do a search a few months later in Google you might be pleasantly surprised to discover that a search for x1 x2 x3 in google will display your x1.x2.x3.tel as number one, and this is all that you might need to make your business a little better and more visible.
There are no real world e-commerce examples of this. It could help for more localized searches, but that depends on the area's population and level of online competition.

•••
Yes Mactel, to keep it simple with your plumberjoe example: You are right that if you try to easily remember the contact page for plumberjoe, the main aim would be to have something like plumberjoe.plumbers.tel, or just plumberjoe.tel
but for a search by a potential client on Google it might be better to have it as
Regarding my domaining activities, my interest in .tel is mainly that I invested in a few hundered .tel domains and developed some of them for me and some of my friends. My overall impression on .tel is that there has been slow, steady and significant progress and that during the next few years people will slowly realize that .tel is a good idea.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I agree with that DubDub...

There are no real world e-commerce examples of this. It could help for more localized searches, but that depends on the area's population and level of online competition.

•••
I will pay $50 to have this thread moved out of the general forum. IMO.

•••
•••
My conclusion and assumption about the dot tel domain

I conclude, and assume, that .tel looks like this, and will be used later like this:

1.) Who will buy and own a .tel domain?:

1.1.) Domainers
1.2.) Owners of commercial .tel directories
1.3.) Hookers
1.4.) Techies, freaks, internet gurus
1.5.) Small businesses
1.6.) Large businesses
1.7.) Others, but not the mainstream

2.) Who will provide .tel domain names?:

2.1.) Owners of commercial .tel directories
2.2.) Businesses
2.3.)
2.4.)

3.) Who will be using .tel domain names, instead of dialing numbers?:

3.1.) The mainstream
3.2.) Business clients
3.3.) Potential Clients
3.4.) Businesses, them selfs

4.) Who will be making profit, with .tel, respectively, with .tel domain names?:

4.1.) The Registry
4.2.) The Regitrar
4.3.) Owners of commercial .tel directories (The Registrant, if you will)
4.4.) Businesses, because .tel boosts their business
4.5.) Third party providers of .tel tools
4.6.) Smart phone shops, offering .tel services
4.7.) Smart phone producers, offering useful things for using .tel
4.8.) Third party commercial software producers
4.9.) Domainers, buying and selling .tel domains

5.) Who else, will benefit from .tel, more in a social aspect?:

5.1) Old people
5.2) Lonely people
5.3) "Socializers", using Twitter, My Space, etc.
5.4.) People needing help (accident, doctor, emergency, police, taxi, etc.)
5.5.) People, who know, that they can benefit by using the Google map.
5.6.) Etc., Others

6.) Whow is helping to develop .tel?

6.1) Developers, third party (Registrants)
6.2) Users, with a bit of tech interest, etc. (Registrants)
6.3) Telnic (Registry)
6.4.) Registrars
6.5.) Sponsors of .tel
6.6.) Owners of commercial .tel directories ( Registrants)
6.7.) Forums
6.8.) The open source community

7.) Who is helping to promote .tel?

7.1.) Domainers
7.2.) Owners of commercial .tel directories (Registrants)
7.3.) Techies, freaks, internet gurus (Registrants)
7.4.) Businesses (Registrants)
7.5.) Business clients
7.6.) The Registry (Telnic)
7.7.) The Regitrars
7.8.) Sponsors of .tel
7.9.) The global press
7.10) Online news and reviews
7.11) Developers, third party (Registrants)
7.12) "Socializers", using Twitter, My Space, etc.
7.13) Forums
7.14.) The open source community

8.) Who is too passive, or not been enough useful or helpful?

8.1.) The mainstream
8.2.) The global press
8.3.) Online news and reviews
8.4.) Most Registrars
8.5.) The official sponsors
8.6.) The open source community

9.) Who is hindering, at times, the development and success of .tel?

9.1) The Registry (Telnic)
9.2) Some forums, respectively, some posts
9.3.) Bad press and bad reviews

10.) Other

11.) Where can I get a .tel domain?

11.1.) Registrar
11.2.) Smart phone shop?
11.3.) Third party services, who offer .tel tools, directories, etc.
11.4.) Other

12.) Where should I be able to get a .tel elsewhere?

12.1.) Shops, Departemenshops, Supermarkets, etc.
12.2.) Other, everywhere, where you can buy cigarettes, candy, etc.

Quasi Conclusion:

13.) Who are the most important .tel players, respectively, the strongest link?

13.1.) Owners and maintainers of commercial .tel directories
13.2.) Everybody with a good portion of common sense

14.) How does the dot tel domain got to get to be?

14.1.) Easy to use, and cheap to use, for the mainstream user
14.2.) Easier to maintain and update, for .tel owners
14.3.) Easier for techies and developers to to be able to understand, improove and develope
15.5.) There must be instructions, papers, guides, tutorials, etc., for "dummies"

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi Stefan,
I understand, but Google will have to be able to read:

as:

plumberjoe.plumbers.tel

Google will have to read the name of the .tel subdomain, according to whatever label you choose for malibu.losangeles.ca.plumbers.tel :

And that is:

anyname.plumbers.tel

Thank you.
Edit:

Because "anyname.plumbers.tel" is stored directly in the DNS:

The sub-information of of "anyname.plumbers.tel", can be sub-stored as:

That is why Google gets fed with "anyname.plumbers.tel", but then fetches:
"malibu.losangeles.ca.plumbers.tel"
and delivers you the output according to that name with all its strings.

And that should be able to be achieved, in my opinion.

So you won't have to feed google manually with the whole long subdomin name: Google will get it for you, and deliver the biggest output, according to all of those keywords.

Yes Mactel, to keep it simple with your plumberjoe example: You are right that if you try to easily remember the contact page for plumberjoe, the main aim would be to have something like plumberjoe.plumbers.tel, or just plumberjoe.tel
but for a search by a potential client on Google it might be better to have it as
Regarding my domaining activities, my interest in .tel is mainly that I invested in a few hundered .tel domains and developed some of them for me and some of my friends. My overall impression on .tel is that there has been slow, steady and significant progress and that during the next few years people will slowly realize that .tel is a good idea.

Last edited:
•••
Why are you guys complicating things? You can have the best of both worlds regarding malibu.losangeles.ca.plumbers.tel and plumberjoe.plumbers.tel.

Let's say you've got Mr. Plumber Joe, who's a malibu plumber. You'd like him to be accessible through a search "malibu plumbers" or "los angeles plumbers", as well as through "joe plumber" or even "water heater repair".

First, you create the subdomain for Joe Plumber: joe-plumber.plumbers.tel (ideally, you'd sell him his own .tel domain).
Then, you create the directories such that you can have malibu.losangeles.ca.plumbers.tel as well as water-heater.repair.plumber.tel
Inside both of those directories you point to joe-plumber.plumbers.tel.

The Google algos will take care of linking "Joe Plumber" to water heater repair as well as malibu plumbers. Furthermore, Joe's information is centralized in his own subdomain, which you can then tell him to upgrade to his own domain (further improving his SEO).

•••
Thank you, for your comment, Henry.

Could Telnic provide the telsters who are experimenting with .tel directories, with a script to set up a commercial .tel directory on a website?

•••
•••
Thanks for the guidance Henry. It makes sense and now things are very clear....

•••
A bit off subject, I own Cellular.tel and had populated it with some basic links a few months ago and have not touched it since. I was curious today and Googled: cellular tel, without quotes or "and" (tel would be a very relevant and related search term given the main word). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the result was that Cellular.tel has made it up to page one, position 6 for this extremely competitive name. For what it's worth.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think .tel will take off this year.
I think it will boom between 2011 - 2013.

•••
I don't think .tel will take off this year.
I think it will boom between 2011 - 2013.
2012 will be the year of the landrush drops.
How many do you think will be dropped at the end of the 3-year term ?
Taking bets.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back