Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Well it appears as though it's happening. The launch of .land, .bike, .this, and .that is here and many more to come.

Show off your new .whatevers here and discuss why these are or are not good investments. Keep it cool, calm, and productive :)

I'll start with my new regs... absolutely none!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well, you already posted this stuff too. you can "go over" stuff as much as you like.. it doesnt mean a consensus was reached.

you still have the wrong angle.

What it means, when you actually think like a domainer, is that you agree with me on whether these are good investments or not. This is a domaining forum. Most people here are interested in the market. Buying, selling, investing, making money. Your posts are a bit Jekyll Hyde sometimes. Sometimes you get what I just posted. Other times you're like, sales are an old way of thinking. They matter. In your business, you don't care about sales?

Last edited:
•••
What it means, when you actually think like a domainer, is that you agree with me on whether these are good investments or not. This is a domaining forum. Most people here are interested in the market. Buying, selling, investing, making money. Your posts are a bit Jekyll Hyde sometimes. Sometimes you get what I just posted. Other times you're like, sales are an old way of thinking. They matter, in this business. In your business, you care about sales, do you not?

you keep twisting what i say. im saying the phrase.matters

the TLD itself doesnt.. the 2 words put together do. its why keeping track of registration numbers per TLD doesnt mean anything except how much money the registry is or isnt making.

in your world, a TLD with 10,000,000 registrations would be a better investment than a TLD with 500 registrations. im saying your wrong, none of these TLD are going to gain "critical mass" because they dont need to when you can now put nearly any word+word together with a dot in the middle.

•••
Numbers matter, regardless of what business you're operating. In fact, numbers are really the only thing that matter. If you're not profitable, you won't last long.

1000 new restaurants, each getting a few customers spells doom. There's only so many patrons to go around. The internet is no different.

•••
Numbers matter, regardless of what business you're operating. In fact, numbers are really the only thing that matter. If you're not profitable, you won't last long.

1000 new restaurants, each getting a few customers spells doom. There's only so many patrons to go around. The internet is no different.

so when a registry doesnt make enough to cover their 185k fee and they give up - and another registry buys it for 1 penny or is given the rights to run it, for no cost - how does that matter to anyone but the registry that lost money?

it doesnt. its all crap happening during the meantime. domainers are under the illusion that a good portion of these are going to ultimately be deleted from the root.

i doubt that will happen when another registry can add it to their inventory management for nothing. the 185k fee doesnt matter - its already sunk.

•••
so when a registry doesnt make enough to cover their 185k fee and they give up - and another registry buys it for 1 penny or is given the rights to run it, for no cost - how does that matter to anyone but the registry that lost money?

You're assuming another registry is going to want to take on hundreds of worthless tlds. Since when does a failing business get an automatic buyout?

•••
You're assuming another registry is going to want to take on hundreds of worthless tlds. Since when does a failing business get an automatic buyout?

when that business is simply a data file on a server that doesnt cost anything to run to a registry that is already running 200 TLD's. you really think integrating 10 .weird's is going to cost an already existing registry anything to run?

you reaaaaaaaaaaly think like half of these are just going to be deleted from the root? :lol:

•••
when that business is simply a data file on a server that doesnt cost anything to run to a registry that is already running 200 TLD's. you really think integrating 10 .weird's is going to cost an already existing registry anything to run?

you reaaaaaaaaaaly think like half of these are just going to be deleted from the root? :lol:

Let's try this a different way.

There's lots of gold coins in the ocean that nobody will ever find. It's something that could have value but as it sits is really worth nothing. Most of these new tlds will never be found. So yeah, basically worthless.

•••

The web is about as non zero sum of a game as there is right now

•••
•••
now with thousands about to exist the whole IDEA of getting familiar with a TLD is some weird domainer way of thinking from the past.
No. It is how the hosting business tends to think of the business. If a TLD is popular then they will sell it. If it is not popular, then there is little point becoming a registrar for that TLD. If there are too few registrars for a TLD, then the TLD becomes more difficult to register. And if a large retail hoster does include it in its mug-out page of TLDs, then the chances of that TLD gaining significant market share is low. If a TLD is not on Godaddy's list, then it is going to find it nearly impossible to get significant numbers of registrations in the North American market. This pattern of key webhosters is replicated in each mature country level market. If the key registrars/hosters in that country don't offer the TLD for registration, then the TLD will not make significant inroads.

you guys that are obsessed with registration volume dont get it. registrations mean nothing.
I don't look at things as just a domainer. I have to be able to see things from the registry, registrar and web hoster's viewpoints too. For these, registration volume and upsells are critical.

just like pretending whether its different that a domainer is holding all the valuable terms or the registry is holding all the valuable terms - it makes no difference.
It is actually a lot more serious in the early phase of a TLD because the concept of a rigged game might filter through from domainers to the ordinary mom and pop businesses that might be prospective registrants and developers.

also most of you guys talk like you're a stockholder in the registry or something... take a step back from your "numbers" and realize its not about volume anymore, it never really was.
For registries and registrars, it is part of the bigger picture as is content (usage).

Getting back to the idea of getting familiar with a TLD, it is not as weird as it sounds but if your only experience has been in .COM or gTLDs then it will seem weird. In ccTLDs the idea that people become familiar with their local ccTLD and begin to identify with it. They see it every where and people begin developing sites in the TLD. It is a virtuous circle of awareness -> development -> usage -> awareness.

Regards...jmcc

•••
To me it seems a matter not of "if", but WHEN a registry is going to have a TLD that it deems no longer profitable.

I'd really like to know just how that event is going to play out.

Assume that no other registry is going to want this "failed" TLD.

Last edited:
•••
For who? Lots of angles to be covered by such a statement.

I'm reminded of early .mobi debates, I'm still a .mobi enthusiast but never understood how some folks were so convinced that com must lose for mobi to gain. I've seen similar flawed thinking in other tld discussions as well and again by new tld zealots yet again. There's a million mobi regs and com regs have probably grown over the same period as well. Not a zero sum game. Facebook, twitter, pinterest, etc grow together, not a zero sum game. Online media and advertising is booming but there's still print, radio and tv media and advertising as well, not a zero sum game. TV was supposed to kill off theaters, didn't happen. The web was supposed to kill off printing, didn't happen. Laptops took a bite out of desktops and tablets and smartphones are also taking their toll on their larger predecessors but there's still desktops and laptops selling, and its common for folks to have multiple devices, not a zero sum game. Yes there will still be some losers along the way who fail to adapt to changing marketplaces, that's normal. Think Borders and maybe Barnes and Noble next, but around here smaller, nimble book stores are popping up filling the void, physical books still sell in spite of ebooks, not a zero sum game. The web space is simply going to continue to grow adding more opportunity along the way.

•••
To me it seems a matter not of "if", but WHEN a registry is going to have a TLD that it deems no longer profitable.
There is also an issue of set up costs and burn rate. The initial registry spends money getting the registry operations established. It also has to make enough money from sales to pay for all these costs (over the space of a few years).

Assume that no other registry is going to want this "failed" TLD.
It depends on how "failed" the TLD is compared to operational costs. An operator providing registry services (the backend) might be the ideal purchaser for such a "failed" registry. The key issue is the number of domains in the TLDs and the numbers of one year and multi-year renewals.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Getting back to the idea of getting familiar with a TLD, it is not as weird as it sounds but if your only experience has been in .COM or gTLDs then it will seem weird. In ccTLDs the idea that people become familiar with their local ccTLD and begin to identify with it. They see it every where and people begin developing sites in the TLD. It is a virtuous circle of awareness -> development -> usage -> awareness.

Regards...jmcc

There is no meaningful awareness without development, development needs to come first.

•••
There is no meaningful awareness without development, development needs to come first.
The old "if you build it, they will come"? Yep. :) But they have to know where it is first.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The old "if you build it, they will come"? Yep. :) But they have to know where it is first.

Regards...jmcc

That's back to basics no matter the tld. SEO, organic, social media, paid advertising, few domains outside ultra top keyword coms will come with built in traffic. All businesses need some aspect of marketing

•••
My Company Name

With great relief, I snagged my company name:

Jennifer.International​

It's not that I believe .international will set the world on fire, but I just couldn't afford to have someone else registering and developing it -- strictly defensive.

I have the .com.

Thank goodness: not a premium.

In some gTLDs, my first name is considered a premium.

•••

Jennifer.International​

It's not that I believe .international will set the world on fire, but I just couldn't afford to have someone else registering and developing it -- strictly defensive.

I have the .com.

i'm sure it wouldn't of hurt you and you wouldn't even of known about .international had you not been a domainer.

•••

Jennifer.International​

I have the .com.

thought you were done regging gtlds ….ummm

•••
i have a theory on this... if you publicly proclaim you're not registering any gTLD and/or make jokes on this forum like "lol yeah when is .junk coming out".... then its a matter of time before you go on a "jusssssst one more" regging spree... with 1,000some out there it wont take long for that jussssssst one more "defensive" reg to become 200 domains.

but run this by JB Lions first he's the authority on domain things and probably knows how this works..

•••
i have a theory on this... if you publicly proclaim you're not registering any gTLD and/or make jokes on this forum like "lol yeah when is .junk coming out".... then its a matter of time before you go on a "jusssssst one more" regging spree... with 1,000some out there it wont take long for that jussssssst one more "defensive" reg to become 200 domains.

but run this by JB Lions first he's the authority on domain things and probably knows how this works..

We could run it by you and get 2 different answers, depending if you're on a Jekyll day or Hyde day. You could always start a Hippy thread, Sales Don't Matter, I'll stay out of that one. Then you could just post how great they are, while not buying any yourself.

•••
thought you were done regging gtlds ….ummm
I wanted to suggest that her next reg should be Jennifer.Intervention

ok I just did

•••
We could run it by you and get 2 different answers, depending if you're on a Jekyll day or Hyde day. You could always start a Hippy thread, Sales Don't Matter, I'll stay out of that one. Then you could just post how great they are, while not buying any yourself.

you only think i give 2 answers because you see this gTLD thing like a religion of "believers" and "non-believers"

but its cool.. i respect your religion.

•••
That's back to basics no matter the tld. SEO, organic, social media, paid advertising, few domains outside ultra top keyword coms will come with built in traffic. All businesses need some aspect of marketing

alcatraz.mobi looks good, but your contact page is broken.

•••
I wanted to suggest that her next reg should be Jennifer.Intervention

ok I just did

If Jen can claim it as business expense i guess there is some sound reasoning behind it, i was just commenting on her previous statement that her limit had been reached, each to their own i guess. Please Jen dont reg a .rich !!!! LOL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back