NameSilo

The national department of real estate owns all rights to the word Realtor?

Labeled as question in Legal Discussion started by levinsondomains, Jul 5, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. levinsondomains

levinsondomains Established Member

Hey folks,
    I have a client that claims that The national department of real estate owns all rights to the word Realtor, and he can't use the domain.
    I see a lot of sales with "Realtor" and it does not make sense for me.
    Am I missing something?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. WeSell-Domains

WeSell-Domains Active Member VIP

Nope you are not missing anything. REALTOR including the BLOCK "R" is a registered trademark and they will defend their trademark aggressively. To use the word Realtor, your client will have to be a member of the NAR or "National Association of Realtors". They can however use the word RealEstate without any problems.

3. levinsondomains

levinsondomains Established Member

4. Shuttlepro

Shuttlepro Active Member VIP

/nm googled. So Realty and RealEstate are clean, but Realtor is trademarked.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. WeSell-Domains

WeSell-Domains Active Member VIP

Correct, Realty and RealEstate are clean and can be used but Realtor is trademarked and cannot be used unless it is registered by an individual who is a member of the National Association of Realtors. This information came straight from an NAR lawyer

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!