Dynadot

analysis The King of Domain Extensions: .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Macit

Founder of dofo.comEstablished Member
Dofo.com Staff
Impact
The oldest and most popular domain extension is .com.
It is also called the default domain extension of the Internet.
We will cover the details about .COM, that has more than 151 million domain names, which mean 42% of all registered domain names.

The Story of .COM

The first .com domain name symbolics.com was registered 35 years ago, on 15 March 1985. It’s also the first registered domain name, ever.

As of March 2020, with 151 million registered domain names, .com has more domain names than the sum of all other generic top-level-domains.

In this post you can find all these:
  • The Oldest .COM Domain Names
  • Most Popular .COM Websites
  • Most Expensive .COM Domain Sales
  • Top Countries of .COM Domain Extension
  • Most Popular Keywords of .COM Domains
  • .COM Domain Count By Years
  • .COM Domain Count By Length
  • Top .COM Registrars
  • How Many of .COM Domain Names are Being Actively Used?
READ MORE

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Great article and info, also love dofo.com and use it everyday.

Thanks,
Martin

•••
•••
Wasn't nordu.net the first domain created? And wasn't .us created prior to .com?

•••
i was going to post this article.

article after my own heart :)

Last edited:
•••
Nice read, one thing though why did you exclude domains from most expensive, wasn't business.com the most expensive? LasVegas.com? Insurance.com? Sex.com?

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the interesting and attractively presented blog post @Macit

•••
•••
How much is GD paying you for all that promo by the way? You mentioned only 3 "marketplaces" Sedo, "GoDaddy" & Afternic. Surprised you didn't add more GD marketplaces like Uniregistry to that list. The bottom of the page to register a .com is a GD link as well...

•••
Very interesting, thank you for the exactly information.

•••
Nice read, one thing though why did you exclude domains from most expensive, wasn't business.com the most expensive? LasVegas.com? Insurance.com? Sex.com?
Easy, dont know how many business included, as opposed to pure domain sale.

LasVegas 90M lease,didnt end.Cool terms. :xf.grin:
How much is GD paying you for all that promo by the way? You mentioned only 3 "marketplaces" Sedo, "GoDaddy" & Afternic. Surprised you didn't add more GD marketplaces like Uniregistry to that list. The bottom of the page to register a .com is a GD link as well...
Sad reality GD’s monopoly, but gd link bottom..

Come on, Dofo! :hungover: :dead:

Last edited:
•••
That's very interesting @Macit thanks for sharing

•••

I wish Godaddy would pay us :xf.wink:

On Dofo, our "revenue" model is placing affiliate links to domain registrars and marketplaces. We are partners with almost all marketplaces and some domain registrars. Godaddy is one of them. You can see the other partners on our Partners page.

Sedo, Afternic, Godaddy; these are the biggest marketplaces regarding to the domain inventories. Nothing else.

•••
The oldest and most popular domain extension is .com.
It is also called the default domain extension of the Internet.
We will cover the details about .COM, that has more than 151 million domain names, which mean 42% of all registered domain names.

The Story of .COM

The first .com domain name symbolics.com was registered 35 years ago, on 15 March 1985. It’s also the first registered domain name, ever.

As of March 2020, with 151 million registered domain names, .com has more domain names than the sum of all other generic top-level-domains.

In this post you can find all these:
  • The Oldest .COM Domain Names
  • Most Popular .COM Websites
  • Most Expensive .COM Domain Sales
  • Top Countries of .COM Domain Extension
  • Most Popular Keywords of .COM Domains
  • .COM Domain Count By Years
  • .COM Domain Count By Length
  • Top .COM Registrars
  • How Many of .COM Domain Names are Being Actively Used?
READ MORE
i would remove 1and1 registrar from your list.

•••
The Story of .COM

Bit confused here,

9JlOI0b.png

wSIIR2u.png

•••
Wasn't nordu.net the first domain created? And wasn't .us created prior to .com?

Bit confused here,

9JlOI0b.png

wSIIR2u.png

Yes, nordu.net was the first "created" domain name ("used to serve as the identifier of the first root server").
Symbolics.com is the first registered domain name.

.COM was introduced on 1 January 1985, with other TLDs such as .net, .org, .edu.
.US is the first ccTLD, introduced on 15 February 1985.

•••
Yes, nordu.net was the first "created" domain name ("used to serve as the identifier of the first root server").
Symbolics.com is the first registered domain name.

.COM was introduced on 1 January 1985, with other TLDs such as .net, .org, .edu.
.US is the first ccTLD, introduced on 15 February 1985.

cheers. I recalled something like that but wasn't sure. good stuff.

•••
Thanks for sharing..

In 1985 I was a little boy. I am curious to know what the .com registration fee was in 1995 (in India / USA).

Although I registered domain and built my first website in 2002. I lost a great chance of domaining shortly after moving to the middle east and after abandoning the website.

•••
I wish Godaddy would pay us :xf.wink:

On Dofo, our "revenue" model is placing affiliate links to domain registrars and marketplaces. We are partners with almost all marketplaces and some domain registrars. Godaddy is one of them. You can see the other partners on our Partners page.

Sedo, Afternic, Godaddy; these are the biggest marketplaces regarding to the domain inventories. Nothing else.
Dan.com ?

•••
Thanks for sharing..

In 1985 I was a little boy. I am curious to know what the .com registration fee was in 1995 (in India / USA).

Although I registered domain and built my first website in 2002. I lost a great chance of domaining shortly after moving to the middle east and after abandoning the website.

About $100 for 2 years, before that they were free.

•••
•••
"[Approximately] there are [only] 1,354 domain name sales over $100,000."

A sobering fact.

•••
"[Approximately] there are [only] 1,354 domain name sales over $100,000."

A sobering fact.

If you have made one of those sales. I'd recognize you as a successful domainer :)

•••
why don't you have porkbun.com on your list of where you can register a domain. they're hands down one of the best registrars

•••
Back