NameSilo

discuss The greatest domain drop in history

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I thought I would start a topic to get opinions on predicting the greatest domain drops (as in groups of domains) in history.

ie...

Crypto Domains
etc

In all my years I don't think I have ever seen anything like the crypto domain buying that is happening right now.

There will have to be a culling...... my my.... it's going to be huge a few years from now. There cannot possibly be a use for all those domains, especially once a few main players take over and start enforcing trademarks.

Can anyone think of any others that have had huge culling's over the years and what are your predictions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think Dropping crypto names not a few years from now ... Very soon. May be the End of the year ... It depends on the cryptomarket

•••
I watched a domain xango.com dropped about a month or two before. I back ordered but someone else got lucky.

It was a mango drink and was recently acquired by some other company. So all the relating domains were set to expire.

And was later sold within a week for $16000+ at Namejet.

The Estibot value was something like: $440,000+

SIGH :(

•••
Crypto domains is useless as cryptos themselve.

•••
At the end of 2008 a huge lot of one-word .mobi domains dropped - registrations had opened in 2006 and required a two year minimum, so even though there was still a price bubble a lot of people all gave up at the same time.

There is no aftermarket for those now, but at the time there was - I had several hand-registered dropcatches from that batch that sold for low 4 figures.

•••
IMO the recent " crypto related " buys/sells are the categorical biggest " buys/sells " since I acquired my first couple domains back in '96.

I am late to the crypto related name buying avalanche and have since acquired about 45 + names in the past 30 days or so and am willing and able to acquire more names as deemed appropriate.

And yes, I fully expect to drop / non-renew a batch of 'em within a year or two.

Some are in the king, some are in the .org and, a few are in extensions I was unfamiliar with prior to my leap into the name frenzy.

I'm game for some financial punishment for being late and for speculation although, like most, believe I have located and reg' more than several+ decent, salable names.

When the overall crypto related inevitable name drops occur, a thud will be heard due to the pure mass of dropped names vs the likely potential buyer pool.

It will become for most domain sellers, excluding the premium name holdout sellers, a buyer's market.

Last edited:
•••
There was a huge drop of good crypto names last week. The word on the street was that the person holding them passed away.

I go through thousands of domains a day to make my daily lists .. quite often I see patterns of names that were obviously registered all together. I think the craziest ones are often typo variants of a single domain .. sometimes there could be upwards of a hundred .. often aged more than a dozen years .. it just amazes me how much money was wasted! lol

You'll often see the same aged pattern for geos on a specific theme. Meaning let's say the keyword was golfing .. well then you sometimes see 50+ ____Golfing.com domains expire in the same day.

•••
•••
I watched one person who had almost five thousand 420anything.com domain names. He had a great concept and used every dictionary term with 420 in front of it. Only problem with the concept was that most people do not even know what 420 stands for. I myself did not even know before that. I was never in that culture so it was a foreign concept to me before I heard about it in domaining.

Anyways..... 420 domains will probably be on the cull list

•••
I watched one person who had almost five thousand 420anything.com domain names. He had a great concept and used every dictionary term with 420 in front of it. Only problem with the concept was that most people do not even know what 420 stands for. I myself did not even know before that. I was never in that culture so it was a foreign concept to me before I heard about it in domaining.

Agreed on the 420 thing. it amazes me how many 420 domains were reg'ed. I almost Reg'ed a couple just due to good key word, but just a tiny bit of research and I stuck with cannabis. Marijuana is just pron to to many typos. Specially someone who smokes it all the time. LOL

•••
There's gonna be a huge xyz drop coming up. All those 0.01 registrations from last year.

The 7N.com numeric drop must have been quite big and 6N one too.

Then there was the 5L Chinese 'premium' .com drop and the 6N.net drop oh and the 6N.co drop. I could go on.

Must be close to a massive VR drop soon too and a big 3D drop, to be followed of course by 4D drop, which will be followed by 5D registrations and then the inevitable 5D drop.

Come to think of it, this happens quite a lot....and people never learn.

Last edited:
•••
There's gonna be a huge xyz drop coming up. All those 0.01 registrations from last year.

Then there was the 5L Chinese 'premium' .com drop and the 6N.net drop oh and the 6N.co drop. I could go on.

Must be close to a massive VR drop soon too and a big 3D drop, to be followed of course by 4D drop, which will be followed by 5D registrations and then the inevitable 5D drop.

It is the massive purchasing of these domains which makes them valuable. And its a numbers game to hope you have one of those domains that someone is willing to pay a high amount for. Everyone that sells a domain for big bucks owes everyone else in the domaining biz a big thank you. Because if they didn't reg 100's if not 10's of thousands of other names they would have settled for something else. it is a no brainer if smile.com is for sale for $1,000,000 and ismile or asmile or wesmile or usmile is available for reg fee they will use one that is available, but when no domains are available and ismile or asmile is $500,000. If you are going to invest that much in a name you might as well pay $500,000 more for the perfect name.IMO
Than once everyone feels like there is no more money left in a niche they either try to off in bulk at reduced price or let them drop.

•••

xyz for 1 cent were in 2016.. not last year
so that drop is already history

•••
xyz for 1 cent were in 2016.. not last year
so that drop is already history

Wow time flies....guess that shows how little attention I pay the xyz these days.

•••

420 means cheater or fraud in india.
section 420 filed against them in courts .

•••
I watched a domain xango.com dropped about a month or two before. I back ordered but someone else got lucky.

It was a mango drink and was recently acquired by some other company. So all the relating domains were set to expire.

And was later sold within a week for $16000+ at Namejet.

The Estibot value was something like: $440,000+

SIGH :(

I think that was the dropped auction? Because I had it back ordered on SnapNames and I am fairly sure it went for five figures. So only SN/NJ got lucky :) Plus there are several active trademarks so I'm no expert but I think it would be a UDRP risk.

•••
I can't talk about past but last year,i think the most one i liked was " Discounted.com " . It was caught by Pheenix and was given premium status on sedo.

•••
In all my years I don't think I have ever seen anything like the crypto domain buying that is happening right now.

Just take a gander through the Vr thread if you want to see similar
~
Worth mentioning 7N 8N 9N after the "chips" era drop off

Last edited:
•••
The fascinating thing is that most people don't realise how many domain names drop without being renewed. Will post some stats on this in a while. People may criticise XYZ but it is actually doing better than other new gTLDs. There are also some legacy TLDs that are struggling.

Regards...jmcc

•••
These are the drops for 2016 registrations. Some are still stabilising and going through the renewal/deletion process:

Legacy TLDs:
(tld - new - dropped - retained - % retained)
Code:
com 33,042,200 14,099,619 18,942,581 57.33%
net 3,584,322 1,800,047 1,784,275 49.78%
org 2,182,629 875,792 1,306,837 59.87%
biz 568,891 410,089 158,802 27.91%
info 1,885,973 1,275,557 610,416 32.37%
mobi 133,434 93,839 39,595 29.67%
asia 55,666 34,363 21,303 38.27%

And the top five NGTs:
Code:
loan 511,771 498,483 13,288 2.60%
xyz 5,591,801 5,252,875 338,926 6.06%
top 4,068,850 3,620,952 447,898 11.01%
club 585,853 437,149 148,704 25.38%
online 430,325 314,641 115,684 26.88%

Totals for NGTs:
Code:
NGTs 19,810,548 16,217,412 3,593,136 18.14%

The NGTs have a combination of new and maturing TLDs with different launch dates. Some of the NGTs are doing better than .COM in terms of renewals (>70% retained).

Regards...jmcc

•••
^^^ Great stats ^^^

Thanks jmcc, you are the encyclopedia of domain stats.
You should set up a site and share these stats with everyone.

Oh wait, you already have. :)

Peace,
Kenny

•••
^^^ Great stats ^^^

Thanks jmcc, you are the encyclopedia of domain stats.

Peace,
Kenny
I've been working on a burn rate metric for TLDs (the number of domain names ever registered in a TLD and deleted versus the number in the active zone. Should have some early stats on it later today. It works by taking all domain names every registered and then comparing them against the active zone. The hard part is counting the reregistrations but the reregs should identify the TLDs were people think that there are some prospects in the TLD. With .COM alone, there have been hundreds of millions of domain names that were dropped and are not currently in the zone. A lot of these are from the Domain Tasting days but the reality is that somewhere around 43% of the domain names registered in .COM today will drop at renewal time next year.

Regards...jmcc

•••
around 43% of the domain names registered in .COM today will drop at renewal time next year
That is a staggering statistic if true.

•••
That is a staggering statistic if true.
Verisign said in a financial conference that the renewal rate for the Chinese Bubble regs was not high and that the one year renewals had dropped to around 50% as a result. Mike Berkens covered the conference on https://www.thedomains.com/2016/02/...igh-non-renewal-rates-from-chinese-investors/

This is the killer Verisign quote from the article:
"Last year in the fourth quarter of 2014, 8.2 million adds versus the 12.2 million adds in the fourth quarter of this year, so 4 million increase in the additions. As we historically know, first-time renewal rates are typically around 50%, so that would mathematically suggest that there’s maybe a 2 million unit increase in deletions."

An "add" is essentially a new registration.

These are the renewal estimates for 2015 (when the Chinese Bubble hit):
Code:
com 35,358,480 15,850,144 19,508,336 55.17%
net 4,327,343 2,096,278 2,231,065 51.56%
org 2,724,293 1,253,619 1,470,674 53.98%
biz 784,143 497,716 286,427 36.53%
info 1,550,765 866,390 684,375 44.13%
mobi 119,363 60,254 59,109 49.52%
asia 58,086 31,457 26,629 45.84%

There's a spike in drops compared to the 2016 registrations. Some of the drops are due to speculation (the Chinese Bubble being the extreme example). Others are due to natural attrition (businesses ceasing etc). There is also a percentage that would be discounted registrations not being renewed at full reg fee when it comes time for renewal. Traditionally, heavily discounted regs have a renewal rate around 2.5%. It varies according to the depth of the discount and the quality of the TLD. The figures are calculated from the zone files. Verisign's are going to be more accurate, when published, as they are a public company. However, many registries publish a blended renewal rate which includes first year renewals and veteran renewals. This generally gives a nicer view of things because veteran registrations (domain names on their second or third renewal or more) renew at a higher rate than first year renewals.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Crypto domains is useless as cryptos themselve.
That useless old crypto has supported me and my family for the last 5 years :) lol Isn’t that the reason everyone here is domaining? To make money?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back