Greetings to you all. As some of you know, yesterday, I had a problem that had to do with transferring a domain name from my Godaddy account to my buyer's account. When I started this deal, one thing was very obvious: buyer thought it was a scam and she instructed her web guy to intervene. I gave two options initially when they requested for how to transfer the domain name and when it appear that they didn't respond, I expanded the transfer option and included Epik, Sedo and Godaddy. They told me they will get back to me by this week (deal started last week). I waited for the email to come in and by Wednesday, I followed up. We kicked things off with Epik escrow as their choice. So they paid and when it was time to transfer the domain name, we hit a brick wall. I first tried to transfer the domain name to Epik's Godaddy account with no luck. Buyer's web guy later insisted that I transfer the domain name directly to them since they had paid already. The Epik transfer was canceled and I proceeded to transfer to buyer with no luck either. I tried as much as possible to explain that the problem has been on for some time. I think @Rob Monster could sense they were doubting my claims and so he tried to chime once a while. All these bought us some time. Then almost 24 hours later with no luck, web guy threatened to pull out of the deal if we can not transfer a simple domain name within its parent registrar (new reg). He said it was looking like fraud already. This was his second threat. The first was him asking @Rob Monster when they will get the domain name because (according to him), there have been a lot of scam hitting the US from NIGERIA and Somalia. You can imagine how I felt for innocently being accused due to fault of Godaddy's inability to handle transfer that previously took just 3 minutes to complete. The web guy could not believe that the fault is from Godaddy and like the typical stereotype that flew around, my country was roped in. I didn't like that at all but I kept my cool! I pleaded with him to give me time so that I can get a reply from @Joe Styler which never came until after everything. I had to hurriedly create a thread seeking ways out and also sent a link to the other thread created by @Soofi in April on same issue. It was not too long after the thread that the web guy reached out to Godaddy and he was told that the transfer process had changed. He was given this link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GSmyRH4bcPX5fE4g42dG1ko6pnnC2yIVe9aTfAMp-Yo/edit I went through the Google doc link and that was how we resolved. Apparently, one needed to use incognito mode on chrome to finalize the last stage in order to make everything go smoothly, according to the link. over 2 weeks ago, I had experience this problem for 2 domain name and Joe Styler helped without referring me to the link above. He did everything back end and that was it. My thought was they would have had solved before my next deal. Imagine for a second that the web guy didn't reach out to them and just waited for me to resolve it myself, I may have lost this sale with a tag that I almost scammed them. And all through, he did not speak good of Godaddy. He kept mentioning it and said that was why he left them many years ago. Who knows? He might end up convincing the buyer to move to another registrar and that would be a loss for Godaddy. After we used the guide in the Google Doc, we successfully transferred the domain name to them and Epik did a nice job all through. They sent me the money same day to my bank account in Nigeria. Thanks to @Rob Monster for making that happen.