Dynadot

GoDaddy Transfer +Year Issue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Keral_Patel

I'll do itRestricted (Chatroom)
Impact
I was not going to post this because I am with GoDaddy from 15 years+ but recently it is becoming too much.

First they start charging outrageous renewals around 15 USD for .coms (3 days were left to renew it so can't transfer it out and all) moreover this extra charges were appearing on CVCV domains only and not on low quality ones.

It should not work this way. Any .com if it is premium or shit domain has to have same renewal fees.

I have proof of this. There's no misunderstanding.

----------------------

Now coming onto another issue.

I transferred a .com for a friend into my account on 10th March 2020. Domain renewal date is 31st January every year.

So obviously when I transferred the domain name on 10th March 2020 it's expiry was 31st January 2021. (No misunderstanding here too)

Paid the full transfer fees. The additional year should have made the expiry 31st January 2022 but now I am getting alerts that it will expire on 31st January 2021. Don't know where the year vanished. (Have receipts of this all too)

I didn't wanted to whine and cry like a pissed off customer because it doesn't matters much. I am already moving all my domains to other registrar.

I am just raising this issue here so that GoDaddy management or staff knows what kind of business they are trying to run here in India.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Paid the full transfer fees. The additional year should have made the expiry 31st January 2022 but now I am getting alerts that it will expire on 31st January 2021. Don't know where the year vanished. (Have receipts of this all too)
When was the prior transfer or renewal made (if any) for that domain?
One case a year is not added to the expiration date is when the name is transferred within the auto-renewal period, which is 45 days long after the last renewal/transfer is made.
It could also be an update issue but it doesn't happen very often, in that case, the registrar can contact the registry to fix the issue manually

Last edited:
•••
No prior transfers were made on that domain in last 5 years.

•••
From namesilio tos
You transfered within 45 days of a renewal?

Transfer of Recently Renewed Domains

A relatively obscure ICANN rule applies to the transfer of recently renewed domains. In short, if you transfer a domain that has been renewed within the previous 45 days, then you will lose credit for the renewal. This will appear to mean that you did not receive the extra year added upon the successful transfer of your domain.

Where can I read more about this rule?
Although the article is relatively old and contains out-dated pricing information (it was published in 2002), you can read more about this rule from ICANN's Registrar Advisory Concerning Registration Transfers Within the Auto-Renew Grace Period. In particular, please pay attention to this section:If a domain is transferred under Part A of Exhibit B to the Registry-Registrar Agreement within the Auto-Renew Grace Period, the losing Registrar is credited with the Auto-Renew charge* and the year added by the Auto-Renew operation is cancelled. The expiration date of the domain is extended by one year up to a total maximum of ten by virtue of the transfer and the gaining Registrar is charged for that additional year, even in cases where a full year is not added because of the 10-year maximum limitation. In short, this means that transfers occurring during the 45-day Auto-Renew Grace Period result in the losing registrar being refunded for the cost of the renewal.

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Transfer-of-Recently-Renewed-Domains

Last edited:
•••
•••
One case a year is not added to the expiration date is when the name is transferred within the auto-renewal period, which is 45 days long after the last renewal/transfer is made.

This was pointed out by @stub in another thread. Thanks for mentioning it. Looks like @stub was correct.

•••
GoDaddy tos

2.D. Transfers of Recently Renewed Domain Names

You understand that if you are transferring a domain name that has been recently renewed, there is the potential the renewal year will be lost. The renewal year will be lost if: (i) the domain name was renewed during the forty-five (45) day grace period after the expiration date had passed; and (ii) forty-five (45) days have not yet passed since that expiration date. You understand and agree that GoDaddy is not responsible for this lost year and that GoDaddy will not credit that year to your domain. You will need to review the registration agreement you have with your previous registrar to determine if you are due a refund or credit for the lost year. Please contact your previous registrar if you have any questions about the lost year. You understand and agree that GoDaddy will not intervene in the recovery of any such lost registration years that occur during the transfer of your domain name.

•••
I was not going to post this because I am with GoDaddy from 15 years+ but recently it is becoming too much.

First they start charging outrageous renewals around 15 USD for .coms (3 days were left to renew it so can't transfer it out and all)

You actually can transfer the domain up to 29 days after it has expired...
So if the domain expires 3/20/21, you can still transfer from (away) GD around 4/10/21...

•••
Yes but it was never in grace period 😢

Thanks for the additional information thing. It looks like reading something new even after so many years.

•••
GoDaddy tos

2.D. Transfers of Recently Renewed Domain Names

You understand that if you are transferring a domain name that has been recently renewed, there is the potential the renewal year will be lost. The renewal year will be lost if: (i) the domain name was renewed during the forty-five (45) day grace period after the expiration date had passed; and (ii) forty-five (45) days have not yet passed since that expiration date. You understand and agree that GoDaddy is not responsible for this lost year and that GoDaddy will not credit that year to your domain. You will need to review the registration agreement you have with your previous registrar to determine if you are due a refund or credit for the lost year. Please contact your previous registrar if you have any questions about the lost year. You understand and agree that GoDaddy will not intervene in the recovery of any such lost registration years that occur during the transfer of your domain name.
Yes this is probably what happened. There are caveats for the renewal year as shown in this thread and as it is between two different registrars, there may be another rule I don't even know about there. It is really just speculation without the domain name so I can't say much beyond this with any certainty. But it certainly does appear to be the 45 day rule. The domain expires on January 31 and he moved it on March 10th, that is less than 45 days from the renewal. Again, without the domain it is an assumption that the renewal took place on the day it expired, January 31. Which means that the losing registrar likely got a refund for the renewal and the year was removed.

As far as charging more money for renewing 4L domains than other domains that does not happen. Again without specifics it is just speculation but there are reasons that domains renew at different pricing, bulk discounts, grandfathered pricing on some renewals, discount club (may have expired), other promotions etc. But with 100% certainty we do not and have never charged a different renewal rate for .com domains based on their length or quality. With the "new" GTLDs all bets are off as many of them have various tiers of pricing for renewals based on rules they set up.

•••
Uhmm... (scratching head after reading the headline) - this is supposed to be news?

(thanks for the post nevertheless)

•••
Yes this is probably what happened. There are caveats for the renewal year as shown in this thread and as it is between two different registrars, there may be another rule I don't even know about there. It is really just speculation without the domain name so I can't say much beyond this with any certainty. But it certainly does appear to be the 45 day rule. The domain expires on January 31 and he moved it on March 10th, that is less than 45 days from the renewal. Again, without the domain it is an assumption that the renewal took place on the day it expired, January 31. Which means that the losing registrar likely got a refund for the renewal and the year was removed.

As far as charging more money for renewing 4L domains than other domains that does not happen. Again without specifics it is just speculation but there are reasons that domains renew at different pricing, bulk discounts, grandfathered pricing on some renewals, discount club (may have expired), other promotions etc. But with 100% certainty we do not and have never charged a different renewal rate for .com domains based on their length or quality. With the "new" GTLDs all bets are off as many of them have various tiers of pricing for renewals based on rules they set up.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I don't know what rules it is applying. But as you said it could be anything.

Its just good to see that you guys are replying personally and that is what I liked. I just wanted to bring this to attention to you guys. So that if there is something wrong then it can be fixed.

I changed the Title of the thread to reflect the issue. Even after so many years someone could miss the rules.

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back