NameSilo

The Everyone's Welcome Thread (even Canadians, SEO experts, and oldies..you get the idea).

Located in The Break Room started by DU, Jun 27, 2012.

Replies:
Views:

1. briguy

briguy Guru In Remission! VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. iowadawg

iowadawg WHO CARES? VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Birthday party today.
    Wife's....
    So had scads of family and friends here.
    Still had a heck of a lot of bbq and all the fixings left over.
    Plus a lot of damn good Panera bagels.

But we are glad it is over......

3. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Member VIP

I can't believe I got sucked into the world of umbrellas, spent hours researching them. I'm sure that's overkill. I'm down to 3. All Amazon, all highly rated. Started with most popular, went thru them. Read Amazon umbrella buying guide made my some outdoor site. Then sorted by highest rating.

Repel Umbrella, 4.4 out of 5, was on Good Morning America, best selling umbrella on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Repel-Windproof-Travel-Umbrella-Coating/dp/B01K47MJFW

Balios Umbrella, 4.8 out of 5, they're stressing it was designed in the U.K. because it's made in China
    https://www.amazon.com/Balios-Luxurious-Windproof-Automatic-Herringbone/dp/B07QDP4H5B

This one I find interesting an umbrella made by Boy, that's the brand name. 4.9 out of 5 nice rating:
    https://www.amazon.com/boy-Umbrella-Windproof-Automatic-Reinforced/dp/B07RSTXBJZ/

Why do I find it interesting? It's made in Germany. I think quality when I think of German made products. Then, they've been making umbrellas since...................1904. 115 years. To make nothing but umbrellas for 115 years, it's probably the best umbrella in the world. Pick 1 thing and kick ass with it.

"boy umbrella is a German premium umbrella brand founded in 1904. Over the years, we have inherited the rigorous core of German characteristic but never stop pursuing fashion and flexible styles. We strive to provide a superior quality and a better use of umbrellas for customers around the world."

boy® were born in Hilden, Germany
    https://boy1904.com/pages/brand

It's just an umbrella. All $20-$23, so good price.

Balios Umbrella

boy Umbrella

Rihanna Umbrella

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  4. briguy

Totally agree @JB Lions about German quality..nice touch throwing in Rihanna!

Camo products seem to be popular here, a style thing, so thinking camo umbrella might be something to check out ?

5. iowadawg

[​IMG] Remember, German quality lost them 2 wars.

6. iowadawg

7. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

I would be curious as to how that works out. Hopefully, they QC them, but like many Countries, they can state “Made in Germany”, even though the critical parts are imported. $20 imo, is too low. I know first hand, my OEM supplier moved to Germany and imports most all parts, then claims made there. Travelling in the tropics for years, I’ve owned at least 40 umbrellas. All failed usually from the wind gusts or were lost (I forgot them somewhere, were stolen or my fault). Price and origin IME does not prevent strong winds from wrecking the expensive ones. If you don’t have wind issues, probably ok. I got stuck in a downpour last week, too windy to

If I were serious (I am not now, gave up now buy so $4 ones, and just dispose like razorblades) and available to me, I would search and if even available say pay $150.-$200. for a specialized design with say titanium metal mechanism inside, as they fail usually at the joints or with bending the “c” channel thin sections. FYI.
    The larger diameter ones are bulkier, but help you from getting wet when it isn’t windy.

8. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Member VIP

$150-$200, yeah, I'm not paying that much for an umbrella. These seem pretty solid for the price, if you check the reviews. They have some trekker type umbrellas that are just a little more expensive at around $50. And the reality is, I don't use them that much. It would be more, I need to get the mail and it's raining. Or I drive somewhere and it starts to rain, grab an umbrella, get from point a to b. Not running around in tropical winds and stuff like that. Just basic use. I'm leaning towards that one, I might get 2.

I've always been kind of interesting to me companies that have lasted for a long time, some hundreds of years. Just all the things that could go wrong, times changing, competition etc. And just to make umbrellas for 115 years and still doing it. Seems to be a big, well known brand in Germany.

9. iowadawg

We have two umbrellas....both in the car.
    Probably used like once or twice a couple of years back.
    Just something taking up space in the car in case we actually ever need to use them.

10. iowadawg

Old company, older than some company making umbrellas?
    JIM BEAM

11. briguy

From the shows that I been watching on the history channel, Hitler was a meth/cocaine addict....so maybe the quality wasn't the issue but a junkie leader might have been the cause...attacking Russia during winter wasn't a smart strategy.

12. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Member VIP

Yep, 1795. I have a site with beer + something, and a lot of them (alcohol) very old. Guiness 1759, most of the main ones, somewhere in the 1800's. Of course a lot of them have been bought up by Japanese companies, Jim Beam in 2004.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  13. iowadawg

Go back and read about Operation Barbarossa....
    It was not launched in winter.
    Launched in June....

Still up in the air about exactly what Hitler was taking....
    For the History channel went from pure history to reality shows and opinions and aliens.

Stalin said "Quantity has about it a quality" or close to that.

14. iowadawg

15. iowadawg

16. iowadawg

17. iowadawg

A traveler was stumbling through the desert, desperate for water, when he saw something far off in the distance.

Hoping to find water, he walked towards the image, only to find a little old peddler sitting at a card table with a bunch of neckties laid out.

The parched wanderer asked, "Please, I'm dying of thirst, can I have some water?"

The man replied, "I don't have any water, but why don't you buy a tie? Here's one that goes nicely with your clothes."

The desperate man shouted, "I don't want a tie, you idiot, I need water!"

"OK, don't buy a tie. But to show you what a nice guy I am, I'll tell you that over that hill there, about 5 miles, is a nice restaurant. Walk that way, and they'll give you all the water you want."

The man thanked the peddler and walked away towards the hill and eventually disappeared out of sight. Three hours later he returned.

The man at the card table said, "I told you, about 5 miles over that hill. Couldn't you find it?"

"I found it all right. They wouldn't let me in without a tie."

18. iowadawg

19. iowadawg

20. iowadawg

21. johname

johname Planet Futbol VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You just put something on the floor (like a German umbrella) then slam the revolving door. You have done the impossible!

22. iowadawg

That is not making it possible.
    You are adding something that changes it.

So it is invalid....

23. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Yeah then exactly, you don’t need anything expensive. I actually have never owned one until traveling. Never needed it before. The smallest I found one pocket sized smushed thing, at Brookstone it was easier to carry, but it eventually fell apart.

Just noticed this, no idea “windproof” available, though rated probably low wind speed. The additional radial folding spokes/spines design, never seen one or looked for one, but it makes sense.

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Umb...eywords=sword+umbrella&qid=1569195974&sr=8-51

24. briguy

" The failure of the operation drove Hitler to demand further actions of increasingly limited scope inside the Soviet Union, such as Case Blue in 1942 and Operation Citadel in 1943—all of which eventually failed. "
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa

25. iowadawg

Son, I know all about WWII.
    Remember that it was Stalin that went by the 5% rule,,,,,,,
    Attack at all costs, 5% will survive.
    Retreat and 0% will survive.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice