Dynadot

entertainment The Early Internet, Explained by One Weird Celine Dion Fan Site

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
A man loved the singer so much, he spent a decade collecting dreams about her.

... “I knew some people took me for an idiot,” he said. “Well, so what? For me, I believe that for something to exist on this scale within a popular culture, it cannot be a thing that doesn’t mean anything or doesn’t have any connection to the people of that time … It touches something, and there is some truth in this.” ...

upload_2020-1-11_17-8-25.png

Celine Dreams (fan website) became so popular that Dion’s team listed it on her official website (though Dion’s publicist declined to comment on whether the singer is personally aware of the site). Concert-ticket resellers paid Toroptsov an average of 100 euros a month each to link to them. He earned commissions on Amazon referral links in his site’s “boutique.” He became part of an ecosystem of high-profile Celine Dion fans—the type of mythological fandom figure that’s sometimes referred to as a “big name fan,” or BNF. Toroptsov was aware that a lot of people find Celine Dion tacky or over the top, but he didn’t care. Many of those people, he said, would still listen to “My Heart Will Go On” all the way through to the end if they were sitting somewhere alone.

Read more (the Atlantic)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice article, Lox - thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back