IT.COM

debate The domaining game is rigged (entirely).

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Saw a comment today about (perhaps) smoke and mirrors. This made me twitch a little.

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on. Quite a lot. But it's not just that.

Bait and cast net for gullible fishies. (seen this too much)

Also search and get your regs snatched by(via) the registrar. ( seen this too much, and yeah, with many popular registrars)

Also pump your auction price up to infinity via vouched bot bidders. ( anyone missed this one...? )

Also "steal the dinner" = lowball offer to get your name for $100 when an hour later there's a 3K+ BIN going to come at ya. ( Had this so many times personally that I lost the count; so I'm not making any significant min offer anymore, or a min offer at all.)

Also I believe there's a new smoke and mirror league: So-called branding agencies selling overpriced domains and crappy sites to gullible (mostly fintech) founders. Ugh.

I've said it before: The game is rigged. Entirely.

We're the gullible believing that maybe, maybe, maybe it's not.

Make your voice heard below, we all appreciate it.

( Edit: Shall we also mention for a second, registrar premiums, hidden renewal costs and additional services, etc etc. But these are already too small to matter in an ocean of deceit. )

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also search and get your regs snatched by(via) the registrar. ( seen this too much, and yeah, with many popular registrars)

As far as I'm concerned, this is true and not a myth. I've searched for a name which was never registered in the history of the internet, only for it to be taken 30 mins later when I came home. This happened more than once.

For this to be a coincidence is a statistical impossibility.

Also pump your auction price up to infinity via vouched bot bidders. ( anyone missed this one...? )

This is the worst problem. Ask yourself why the prices are always much higher on expired auctions, i.e. auctions where the registrar gets the money. I only ever take part in user auctions where I consistently notice the prices can be multiple times lower than what would be bid for the same domain if the registrar owned it.

I also use one site, I won't mention which, where I notice that the second highest bid is one increment less than my proxy bid about 50% of the time. So my proxy bid is $440, there is about a 50% chance that the second highest bid will be $435 (if I end up as the winner). This is ridiculous.

I also consider this to be statistically almost impossible. I'm sure they're shilling.

Also "steal the dinner" = lowball offer to get your name for $100 when an hour later there's a 3K+ BIN going to come at ya.

Why do you think this is the registrar's doing? Why couldn't the end user be testing you? It would make perfect sense from their perspective.

All in all, the more experience I have, the less I trust corporations. I have concluded that if there is a chance to cheat, there will almost certainly be cheating.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't do proxy bids anymore and I don't trust corporations.

Last edited:
•••
Why do you think this is the registrar's doing? Why couldn't the end user be testing you? It would make perfect sense from their perspective.

It's not the end user. Its an experienced middleman, I get all sorts of plays from them including the most common "I'm a poor student". Nah. I don't buy this crap.

And even if that is the end buyer, even more so, hit the BIN or get lost.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't do proxy bids anymore and I don't trust corporations.

You're not a cynic. You're a realist. It is what it is.

Edit:

As far as I'm concerned, this is true and not a myth. I've searched for a name which was never registered in the history of the internet, only for it to be taken 30 mins later when I came home. This happened more than once.

What coincidence...? There's no coincidence. And you haven't really seen it at play in full power.

They have stolen from me entire lists. 5-10 names at a time. Same registrars. In the next 5 minutes or so. Some of the most used and bigger registrars condone this.

The only link between the names is that they were in my short list of 10 domains or so of millions of domains scanned. (not even the same niche and type) I was just not quick at purchasing cause phone called or whatever.

Oh, and didn't happened once. Multiple times. Same registrars.

The only good part is that I do have a lot of volume so they haven't affected me significantly. But I noted and if I'm ever forced to use them again (such as, great deal one can't ignore) then I add all to cart and purchase right away.

Last edited:
•••
It's not the end user. Its an experienced middleman, I get all sorts of plays from them including the most common "I'm a poor student". Nah. I don't buy this crap.

I feel like this would be too easy to expose with disastrous consequences. All it takes is one person to accept that lowball offer, then find out the reported price and it's exposed. Or do you think such sales would be censored? Maybe he could just ask the end user later on and if he replied, it would have disastrous effects on the registrar.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it would take a lot of cockiness to do this.

then I add all to cart and purchase right away.

This is how I do it. Put all my names in a .txt file, then copy and bulk buy with no delay.

•••
Maybe I'm wrong, but it would take a lot of cockiness to do this.

I don't think they have any remorse or shame whatsoever. These are for "losers", they say.

This is how I do it. Put all my names in a .txt file, then copy and bulk buy with no delay.

I rarely do handregs today, but when I do that I never waste a second. And nobody should, indeed.

•••
The domaining game is rigged (entirely).

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on. Quite a lot. But it's not just that.

Bait and cast net for gullible fishies. (seen this too much)

Also "steal the dinner" = lowball offer to get your name for $100 when an hour later there's a 3K+ BIN going to come at ya. ( Had this so many times personally that I lost the count; so I'm not making any significant min offer anymore, or a min offer at all.)

Also I believe there's a new smoke and mirror league: So-called branding agencies selling overpriced domains and crappy sites to gullible (mostly fintech) founders. Ugh.

I've said it before: The game is rigged. Entirely.

We're the gullible believing that maybe, maybe, maybe it's not.

Make your voice heard below, we all appreciate it.

( Edit: Shall we also mention for a second, registrar premiums, hidden renewal costs and additional services, etc etc. But these are already too small to matter in an ocean of deceit. )

Hi

i've seen and have spoken about many of the same things you mentioned.

the gullible, as a vague group, will likely fall for one or more of those scenarios.

the shill/insider bidding in auctions, i experienced first hand years ago with snapnames, though i did get refunds.
the frontrunning on hand-regs by netsol
the bait and cast the nets and hook a fish, are still in effect
pump and dump still goes on
and not to mention the registry's holding back top tier ngtld's to sell at premium registration fee's and renewal costs.

as for the brandable platforms, to me,
they are like pimps in the street game, hustling your names and taking the highest cut overall.

still, i don't see it as entirely rigged
one just has to beware and not get "caught-up" in the winds of hype.

imo....

Last edited:
•••
as for the brandable platforms, to me,
they are like pimps in the street game, hustling your names and taking the highest cut overall.

IMO, brandable marketplaces, along with paid appraisals are the biggest rip offs in the industry.

The majority of the listing views come from direct type ins which means the domains would probably sell if they were just normal landing pages.
They force you to point nameservers to their site, so you're in charge of bringing traffic to them and them profiting off of your traffic.

On top of all this, they will typically charge you for listing and logos AND they will treat their insider names preferentially. You're getting ripped off from several sides.

At least Alter are transparent about all of this so I respect them for it.

•••

I've been waiting months and months to make a comment about this. Back when you could submit unregistered names to Alter and over a period of about 4 months I had a few dozen names registered between the time I submitted them, and they were accepted.

I would go to grab them once accepted, and they would already be taken, the names I was submitting where from drop lists dating back to 2015, and I found it also a statistical impossibility. A few of those names have since been sold through Alter and a few have made their way to SquadHelp pending sale.

•••
Dont forget questionable sales in auctions.

How many times did DropCatch re-auction:

“eBanking.com”? One of many. What a Joke!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Back when you could submit unregistered names to Alter

Hi

that's one of the ways "they", can use your brain, to provide them with inventory.

but it's something domainers started years ago by posting available names to register that had ovt score.
in return members would give thanks for those they regged.

i guess the diff there is... who you want to help or contribute to

imo....

•••
Hi

that's one of the ways "they", can use your brain, to provide them with inventory.

but it's something domainers started years ago by posting available names to register that had ovt score.
in return members would give thanks for those they regged.

i guess the diff there is... who you want to help or contribute to

imo....

Agreed, it makes perfect sense, the Brandable niche was not around when I was involved in Domaining 12 years ago. I only jumped back in about 18 months ago and a lot has changed. I mentioned this same scenario to someone else in a conversation, and they mentioned ghost accounts doing the regs for those platforms.

Obviously I'm not saying that's what it is nor could I even prove that, I just found it to be highly strange, and it made me take a few steps back to rethink what I was doing. After a few more happened, a quit submitting and moved on.

•••
I completley stopped using brandable marketplaces 4 months ago and will.never look back.

•••
IMO, brandable marketplaces, along with paid appraisals are the biggest rip offs in the industry.

The majority of the listing views come from direct type ins which means the domains would probably sell if they were just normal landing pages.
They force you to point nameservers to their site, so you're in charge of bringing traffic to them and them profiting off of your traffic.

On top of all this, they will typically charge you for listing and logos AND they will treat their insider names preferentially. You're getting ripped off from several sides.

At least Alter are transparent about all of this so I respect them for it.

That's definitely the case for some nice combinations, but what about single made-up words (most of the brandables?). They have zero type-in traffic. You have to see them first in order to like them. And here the platform comes handy since already having someone already there, browsing for its preferable names.
That's why I don't completely discard brandable platforms. My brandables are a mix between platforms, landers with ''Offer accepted'' and landers with BIN price.

•••
That's definitely the case for some nice combinations, but what about single made-up words (most of the brandables?). ]

Oh I 100% agree about made up brandables. Only way to sell them unless they're very high quality.

•••
Life is unfair in many aspects- that’s a given. As long as domainers continue to make money that’s really where all your focus should be.

I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore is fun for a rant but doesn’t change a damn thing or improve your business. Focus on what you can control not what you can’t.

•••
far as I'm concerned, this is true and not a myth. I've searched for a name which was never registered in the history of the internet, only for it to be taken 30 mins later when I came home. This happened more than once.
I recently wrote about this happening to me. People didn't take me too seriously here.

•••
I recently wrote about this happening to me. People didn't take me too seriously here.

I do, and a few of us are, those who had direct experience in this.

Not only that but I had it so many times and with several domains snatched at once. The odds are, this happening by accident is an absolute impossibility cause it's a trend, it's not an one-time thing. I could even trigger it cause I even know at certain hours they tend to do that more.

I did repeat regging there for several reasons, 1) price, 2) wanted even to see if this happens again, and 3) accident, something happened and I had to postpone my buys for a bit. It did happen. Again and again.

Fortunately I do have enough volume so this did not affect my bottom line severely. But it did impact psychologically - a lot. It's an absolute disgusting thing to do.

Last edited:
•••

Not only that but I had it so many times and with several domains snatched at once. The odds are, this happening by accident is an absolute impossibility cause it's a trend, it's not an one-time thing. I could even trigger it cause I even know at certain hours they tend to do that more.

I did repeat regging there for several reasons, 1) price, 2) wanted even to see if this happens again, and 3) accident, something happened and I had to postpone my buys for a bit. It did happen. Again and again.

Fortunately I do have enough volume so this did not affect my bottom line severely. But it did impact psychologically - a lot. It's an absolute disgusting thing to do.

Any idea how you think they are picking some names over others? Would it be random, or do you think they are looking for something specific? I'm kinda curious as to what criteria they would use to pick one over another. And who would be doing the reg's, one would think multiple accounts would be used, so they aren't all listed under one, that would be a dead giveaway.

•••
Any idea how you think they are picking some names over others? Would it be random, or do you think they are looking for something specific? I'm kinda curious as to what criteria they would use to pick one over another. And who would be doing the reg's, one would think multiple accounts would be used, so they aren't all listed under one, that would be a dead giveaway.

I think that they are just watching the regs and picking what seems of interest, on spot.

•••

I am wondering whether you can avoid such Domain name (D.name) theft by avoiding D.name registrars and using the Linux command line instead, thus:

#whois -H domainName.com

These days, I almost always use the whois command _FIRST_, avoiding the D.name registrars entirely until I am ready to register my D.names. Does anyone else use follow this practice?? If so, has it benefited you??

Last edited:
•••
I am wondering whether you can avoid such Domain name (D.name) theft by avoiding D.name registrars and using the Linux command line instead, thus:

#whois -H domainName.com

These days, I almost always use the whois command _FIRST_, avoiding the D.name registrars entirely until I am ready to register my D.names. Does anyone else use follow this practice?? If so, has it benefited you??

•••
I do that through NameCheap. Unfortunately it seems they haven't thought enough of mine to snatch them. I just like the heartbreak of seeing how recently I was beaten to the punch. July 23rd, I believe it was, same hand reg was done within 12 hour span in Japan. Same date, the night before, or something like that. JesusFlood.com. The irony.

•••

#whois -H domainName.com

You can search at reputed registrars. For example I can vouch for Dynadot. Never had such issues with them, and I did a ton of searches. Bulk search is also improved right now.

With many other large registrars, yeah, you have this problem. You'll get your names frontrunned. With many of those mentioned and used by others here including myself (sometimes you cannot avoid using the biggest ones)

•••
Amazon actually registered a name I was in the middle of buying. Something seems fishy about that. Like the registrar feeds companies names they might want to beat others to.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back