NameSilo

The day I bought dogs.com for $750

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
First, I must clarify that the sale was not finally closed. But here's the story:

Last week I inserted some recent registered domains at afternic. When logging out, I took a look at the recently listed domains at the home page. For my surprise, saw the domain dogs.com listed just a few seconds ago with a $750 BIN.

screenshot_afternic.jpg

Obviously, I unterstood that it was a listing error. But I clicked "buy", just to try (you would do the same if you was in my shoes). Nothing avoid me to follow up the whole process and I got the confirmation emails:
mail_offer_accepted.jpg

And the receipt!

mail_receipt.jpg

And the domain was in my account awaiting for the payment. Scared at this point.
Have to say that all the links to this listing were deleted and showed an error page after a few minutes.

afternic_my_dashboard.jpg

Finally I did not send the money, I contacted support instead and notify them this "irregular" issue, although afternic's policy is very clear about BINs and binding sales/purchases.
The domain purchase was in my account for more than 24h before they answer my email. As expected, they reply that it was a fraudulent listing and the purchase will be deleted.

Just wanted to share.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the share mate. It is really interesting. Is that system error or dogs.com was actually for sale? That was not clear. You could pay $750 and wait to see their actions!

•••
Same! I bought .com Nothing last week! for $250 I saw it spring up on the just added list " home page "

I hit the buy button in a flash..and snapped it up...I then did a quick check on this new afternic seller ..I found he/she was listing domains that didn't belong to them..

A quick call to afternic and there account was terminated and the sale was void...This is a huge problem on afternic I can go and add .com sex for $250 as Afternic doesn't verify domain ownership.

•••
Few days ago i was also surprised to see the listing of some top level domain names like webmasters . com , remember .com etc for 250 dollar each..:D

•••
I dont understand why Aftternic can't do a simple domain ownership verfication to avoid issues like this

•••
I dont understand why Aftternic can't do a simple domain ownership verfication to avoid issues like this
They do, for some extend. But... Go figure.

Maybe somebody from Afternic can jump on here and explain?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back