Domain Empire

discuss The .blog Discussion and Sales Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
I've been waiting for .blog to open for months. It's one of the few nTLDs that make sense to me.

How many have you preregistered? So far I have about a dozen on my list.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're misunderstanding why he's dropping them. He doesn't actually pay renewals at face value. He likely only pays icann fees. He's rereleasing them into the wild to boost registration numbers. It doesn't mean anything other than the plans have changed.

•••
The registrant for the dropped names was North Sound Names, a separate company. Paying wholesale.

•••
The registrant for the dropped names was North Sound Names, a separate company. Paying wholesale.

I know. Frank is strategic. There's a reason. I wouldn't take it at face value. I'm 90% sure I know why he made this move. Don't take me for a gTLD lover, I'm not.

•••
Blog is yet another .crap in the .bag .

I agree with @Kate , blogs are mainly used for hobbies and personal stuff. Those who make 6-7 figures blogging would never need a .blog domain as their .coms are aged, branded and work just fine ... Also those who make 6-7 figures blogging are usually well versed internet marketeers who know the value of a domain name so you can't just sell them the "gTLDs are better because they're shorter with the dot between words" story as you would do to an accountant or a furniture maker. :)

All (big & small companies) have their own blogs on subdomains or /blog as Kate mentioned they might get the brand name and that's all...

•••
I see .blog could represent a good opportunity only for some super top premium name, but honestly imo not such a good investment in terms of re-sale value for startups/company/ and important end users.

Last edited:
•••
Buyers are possibly those who didnt get their hands burned in the last one year. Do I really need .blog when I have already made provision for blog in my .com site?

•••
I own DomainBlog.com, looking forward to acquire Domain.Blog :laugh:
you got the best why bother with .blog when you have yours parked ,let someone else run up a tab on .blog which will make your more valuable

•••
I think it's important to note that people are constantly selling shitty .coms to endusers. I don't think it's a far stretch to assume people will buy solid .blog domains. Wordpress will pair it with their platform and it'll quickly become a known extension. Like domaining in general, 99% will not make money because they have no idea what they're doing.

•••
Why target a G that no real business would target? Only a hobbyist would want to be associated with a .blog so I don't see where the profit is.

•••
Why target a G that no real business would target? Only a hobbyist would want to be associated with a .blog so I don't see where the profit is.

That's a very fair point. The extension as a whole isn't ripe for domainers.

•••
The NamePros Blog has an interview from Matt Mullenweg, published last week. He was very passionate about the .BLOG extension and its possibilities. He has a solid marketing plan and it looks like he'll be pushing it to WordPress users that are currently using "wordpress.com" subdomains.

I agree with @Shane Bellone when he says "It's one of the few nTLDs that make sense to me"

•••
I don't think this extension is like most of the nGTLDs. I'm not a huge believer in non .com but this has the chance of exploding. Much of the web is made up of blogs and some of them make a tremendous amount of money. I simply see development potential. Just my 2 cents.
happy retirement shane,will miss you, by the way are you related to billy martin?

Last edited:
•••
When all those $100K per year domains don't make sense whatsoever - .Blog is nice and has potential IMO. But what doesn't make sense is that almost every name I searched for is $30 + $220 early registration App.

BUT

Why on earth would be Rami.Blog at $200 per year?!!!!!!

•••
When all those $100K per year domains don't make sense whatsoever - .Blog is nice and has potential IMO. But what doesn't make sense is that almost every name I searched for is $30 + $220 early registration App.

BUT

Why on earth would be Rami.Blog at $200 per year?!!!!!!

Hmmm. I thought it was $220 for the preregistration and $30 for the renewal.

Last edited:
•••
.BLOG is nice, but I am not going to preregister..I am sure there would be many great names still left in GA

Or dropping next year.

•••
•••
Hmmm. I thought it was $220 for the preregistration and $30 for the renewal.

That's why I am asking, why is Rami.Blog quoted at $200 per year and $220 pre-registration?
Do they have any way of determining the name of the inquirer?

weird.jpg

•••
The prices are really random. Here are some below

jim.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

ron.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

frank.blog $5,000 yr plus 220 fee

johnny.blog $2,000 yr plus 220 fee

shane.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

harold.blog $200 yr plus 220 fee

alan.blog $5,000 yr plus 220 fee

edwin.blog $2,000 yr plus 220 fee

julie.blog $10,000 yr plus 220 fee

jenny.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

•••
I've been waiting for .blog to open for months. It's one of the few nTLDs that make sense to me.

How many have you preregistered? So far I have about a dozen on my list.

Nice to hear from you again Shane.

I agree .blog could have more of a chance than some of the other new g's, however I think it is risky spending more than a few dollars on them at this time.

I have a few of the new g's, but only bought them when they were on sale for less than a dollar.

I would rather spend money on proven dot coms and wait to pick up a new g on the drop later on if they prove to have value at some point in the future.

Of course if .blog runs a promo and offers them at a discount or for a normal reg fee like dot com I might invest in a few.

•••
•••
The prices are really random. Here are some below

jim.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

ron.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

frank.blog $5,000 yr plus 220 fee

johnny.blog $2,000 yr plus 220 fee

shane.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee

harold.blog $200 yr plus 220 fee

alan.blog $5,000 yr plus 220 fee

edwin.blog $2,000 yr plus 220 fee

julie.blog $10,000 yr plus 220 fee

jenny.blog $30 yr plus 220 fee
I'm just not seeing first names working with this extension. A blog is a personal item so Jim's Blog works much better (possessive), but, I dislike jims.blog. I can't think of any domains off of my head that uses a punctuated word in their name, with the punctuation removed of course...

•••
I'm just not seeing first names working with this extension. A blog is a personal item so Jim's Blog works much better (possessive), but, I dislike jims.blog. I can't think of any domains off of my head that uses a punctuated word in their name, with the punctuation removed of course...
I agree with you. I don't like them either but I listed these names since Steitieh listed the Rami name. It was just as a a comparison to other name.blog prices.

•••
I don't think the potential for success is so huge. Many blogs are low-quality, many are even running on subdomains like wordpress or blogger. Blogs generally are personal sites, not for profit business sites. So most bloggers are not going to pay a lot for a domain name. On the other hand many companies have a blog. Some will probably buy their corporate name in .blog as an addition to their current site. But then it is somewhat redundant. I don't like the idea of fragmenting your online presence - purpose-specific extensions such as .mobi or .tel failed for good reasons.

And of course the most desirable keywords will be out of reach for domainers and end users alike.

Totally agree.
Normal people use wordpress/blogger subdomain, and they don't pay a penny for a domain, because they technical skills are 0 (in the most of case) and they want something ready to use out of the box.
If they pay for a domain, they pay 10$ for a reg fee domain, and they don't buy it from a domainer.
Big company, with deep pocket, as I can see in my experience, use subdomain i.e. blog.companyname.COM or companyname.COM/blog.
Which kind of target/end users can use this newGTLD?

Last edited:
•••
Like with other extensions, I will wait a year and see. I am a addicted drop catcher nowadays.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back