Dominion.Domains

I love the .biz extension but it's not looking so hot!

Discussion in 'gTLD Discussion' started by Steven McEvoy, Feb 24, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. dordomai

dordomai Active Member VIP

no one knows how much .com is hurt by nGTLDs. Most end-users do not want nGTLDs even when it is available for reg-fee. Most who choose an alternative reg an .io or .ai or .co

if they were stealing business from .com you would see this in registrations and sales which are low and decreasing.

it is perhaps a few percent of startups who choose a nGTLDs. that alone would not hurt sales.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Right, it's more the alternate TLDs that are hurt by other alternate TLDs.

.biz was released in a context of scarcity, in the past TLDs were released one by one, or in small batches.
    Then we used to see maybe one new TLD released every year. Lame stuff like .mobi .tel .asia that nobody cares about.
    It's only because of the relative scarcity of options that .biz achieved 2 millions regs - but it's stagnating and even decreasing. It's back at the same level as in 2010.

Now in some TLDs like .travel or .info there are at least some high-profile websites like official tourist boards of foreign countries. But there are not many high-profile websites in .biz. End users just don't seem to think .biz is suitable for ambitious projects.

[​IMG]

3. Rinkuji

Rinkuji Active Member VIP

Yesterday I saw Ply.Biz in Closeouts ... :xf.eek:

4. Premiums

Premiums Top Broker

i just noticed that most end users goes with a .business instead of .biz
    .biz - available for reg, the same name in .business is taken

5. gpmgroup

gpmgroup Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Do you think people would get fed up of having to add .business on every email or link? Especially on short names like aaa.business?

6. Premiums

Premiums Top Broker

personally i dont like this gtld ..its just too long
    though the .biz sounds cheap and cheesy

7. FarOutBrands

FarOutBrands Upgraded Member Blue Account

Yes, as an enduser I would. I think as domainers we put way too much emphasis on the extension. I get and understand that .com is the golden standard, no argument here. However, when I consider using a domain to build a website and/or business on I look at many different factors. Primarily, can I register the keyword (name of my company/website) in an extension that is largely considered generic/global and can I accomplish what I need to accomplish with said extension what I would with the .com. If yes, then it is a no brainer to me. Especially if I can save some money and ultimately get the name/brand that I want (which is the keyword not the extension).

8. forge

forge n/a VIP

Much better single words have already been in closeouts. But that's still a good 3L.

9. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Small Town Guy VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well, we launched a small site that actually uses Biz in the title. The jury is still out on it, but I do often wonder if "biz" sounds less professional or may be hurting our brand a little? Would be interesting for a scientific poll. It seems like that in a world where things are increasingly less formal, it would be a plus.

Almost a decade ago now, I sold a .biz for $xxx. It was a two word domain relating to the (then) emerging mobile scene. It was anecdotal, but I felt .biz was on the ascent to something better. After a pretty long hiatus, I am back and looking at .biz and starting to think it's a bust.

One of the things that I think hurt. biz is that it was around prior to GTLDs and so it's too old to be a cool kid. Reputationally, I do recall it being associated with cheap and spammy sites.

I really think length still hurts with extensions like .business because the entire premise around a computer (and, by extension, mobile) is convenience. I presume if everyone navigates the web like my parents by Googling or Binging, the case may be different.

10. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy McEvoy.biz VIP

How’s it going with a .biz? Mind sharing the name?

11. forge

forge n/a VIP

Look at his signature. It's in his name, didn't state it was his TLD.

Yes, by nature, I would say "biz" the word is less professional for fairly obvious reasons. But at the same time it can be seen as less stuffy, a little more "casual" if you will. If it's being used between like-minded professionals, that could be more advantageous than detrimental.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  12. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

The biz extension i feel won't remain strong. I have a couple but all tld in same words in use. I wouldn't be buying more unless i was finding prime words.

13. mike2100

mike2100 Established Member

I sold Million . biz for 450 $ on flippa , bought it on expired GD auctions , hold it for around 8 /9 months , but i made a ton of work and out outbound ,

i have dollars and biotech dot biz , let's see how it goes

14. toughdomains

toughdomains Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

just like every other market....there will a consolidation of Gtlds....interesting to see which ones remain.

15. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I sold an LLL on Afternic today for $1500. I will report it when the transfer completes.

Brad

16. FarOutBrands

FarOutBrands Upgraded Member Blue Account

17. DomainGist

DomainGist Active Member VIP

^ This man knows.

18. DomainGist

DomainGist Active Member VIP

It was relevant once, became redundant when phones effectively became small computers.

Remember "wap" sites? It was relevant then. Because then you could have poetry.com for your website, and poetry.mobi for your wap site. etc.

19. DnDot.com

DnDot.com Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

I doubt there will be a big marketplace for .biz like there is for .com but no one knows for sure.

20. MetBob

MetBob Established Member

Really impressive .biz sales @bmugford !

I don't hold any .biz personally, never have, and something about the extension always seemed sort of unprofessional to me. So I have not even looked at what words are available or dropping. But clearly, there have been some decent sales, moreso than in what much of my portfolio is in!

On Namebio .biz so far in 2018 - there are 16 (not great, but not so terrible compared to most things other than .com/.net/.io and a few others). Three of these are more than $1000
    Bob, ex, and alpha

The highest .biz of all time, hotel, which went for $25,000, redirects now to Hotels.com I see.

Bob.biz went for $7500, but so far the site just says coming soon. Of course Bob is such a great name I can see that selling in any extension :-D

-Bob

21. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Established Member

some dot biz dictionary word sales for Feb18

each.biz $688
    chat.biz $645
    exchange.biz $510
    peach.biz $341
    superb.biz $220
    telegram.biz $102

I guess one can minimize risk by investing in pure dictionary word biz domains. Anyway, not recommended.

22. domainsmgm

domainsmgm Established Member

7 offers received for my 16 years old domain name Liquor.biz till now.
    Potential of billion dollar business. Wait like Berkens to make five figure deal.

23. MS-Domains

MS-Domains Upgraded Member Gold Account

I like your positivity. Non of the offers were good enough?
    Though I just think may want to reach out to potential buyers (end users probably), rather than wait. Wait for what? No domain investor will invest in it, not a 5 figure investments at least, & there's no indication ".biz" will pick up value anytime soon.

Good luck

24. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy McEvoy.biz VIP

So I saw a .biz advertised on a car, small sticker but noticeable. I was really excited to see it and thought maybe .biz isn’t as far gone as I am noticing. Then I do what I do best when I notice a domain, I search it.... and it’s been abandoned and currently parking.
    (n)

25. DomainBELL

DomainBELL DNOA Founding Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

most endusers buying a .CO under $250. don't even realize the .CO = Columbia
    they see it as .CO = Company

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!