IT.COM

The biggest reason most domainers fail:...

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Realism.

I'm sure many of you that have been in the game for a few years already are well aware, but I feel like this needs to be stressed to those who are newer to the industry or are not having any success.

When I first got started with domaining I was absolutely killing it as far as I was concerned. However, unlike most domainers, I started domaining without even knowing there was an entire industry revolved around it.

I had been designing websites etc for a few years and was also a somewhat early adopter of bitcoin. I decided to start a bitcoin website and came to find there were several good names available to be registered, something I had never experienced with every other niche I had made a website for. So thinking that I had come across a great new idea, I registered them all thinking that I could just sell them to other people on bitcoin forums and sites.

Off-topic, but also worth noting: In the few years I had already been building websites, anytime I needed a domain I just found them by coming up with an idea and searching for it on godaddy. Every time that I saw a name or one of the related names that was "Premium" and had a much higher price tag, I just thought it was owned by godaddy but they were assholes and charged a premium for better names. And I always saw related premium names that I really liked, and some that I would have even paid a good amount for had they not all had ridiculous $xxxx price tags.

So my point here is -
A. About 99% of endusers imo use godaddy (I'm a part of several web design and seo communities, and the majority have never even heard of sedo/afternic/etc.). If you aren't listing your names there, you're missing out BIG TIME.

B. If you are using godaddy, take the time to list your names as premium, and not just auction. It sucks that they charge a 30% commission to use premium, but the exposure is well worth it. Especially if it's a name that you handregged. Time and time again I will search for a name and see one of my premium domains with the same keyword listed in the similar names.

C. When you price the name, don't get greedy. Make it more appealing to an enduser that is most likely not working with a huge budget, because the majority aren't. There's no telling how many times endusers have come across premium names with a $xxxx price and just written them off, but would have instantly bought it had it been low-mid $xxx. Surpringly, several people, even the internet savvy ones, don't know a thing about domain names. It would have never even crossed my mind to look up the who-is of a name and contact them to buy it. Most people probably don't even really know what the who-is is, and wouldn't even know how to find it and decipher the info if they did. I know, because that was me once.

Try and think of what you knew and what your thought processes were before you got into domaining and learned more about it. Even better, think the way you did before you had ever even bought your first domain, because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and most "regular people" still don't.
Now getting back on topic. With my freshly registered bitcoin domains, about 30 or so, I made a posting at the bitcointalk forum and a few other places saying that I had them for sale. Withing a few weeks I had sold about 10. To name a few off the top of my head: coiniverse - $20, bitcoincrate - $35, and bitcoinbranding + 20webdesign as a package for $120. The 20webdesign was a name I had regged a while back for a site, but decided not to follow through with. I forget some of the others, but they were all sold for around $10-$50 and had only been registered for a few weeks using .99-1.99 gd coupons.

Sometime during this I had also come across this forum and learned a bit about the domaining industry and posted my small list of names at Sedo for about $150-$250 each. Although I was making all this easy money, I still didn't allocate much time to domaining, but after a few weeks I got an email saying my name bitivity had sold for $200 at sedo.

Around this time I started really focusing on domaining and reading actively on the NP forums. Unfortunately, I read so many golrified post and stories of xxxx sales that my expectations altered and I began raising all of my prices. So as I became more and more educated on domaining, my sales and progression came to a halt.

My problem? I had lost sight of reality.

Recently I began lowering my prices and expectations, and all of a sudden domaining isn't the lifeless industry I had begin to believe it was. Even though most sales are made to fellow domainers, I am able to make a profit from my time spent domaining. And at the end of the day, profit is all that matters.

Another point this brings me to is the common notion that hand registering valuable names is a thing of the past. That's the biggest myth I have ever come across in my domaining career. Sure, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you will handreg a domain that sells for xxxx, but with a little research and effort, there are several available names that can make a profit. Even if it's a $5-$10 sale on a $1.99 hand register, it's profit. And thanks to ever-changing trends, there are even a few exceptions I've hand registered that have already brought in xxx offfers. Do your work and research.

Once you can build up a little profit from these small sales, you can then open up the doors to xxx-xxxx sales. As a hobbyist domainer I have never been comfortable regularly investing $69 in a drop or maybe xxx for a name to resell, but with your small profits on hand regs, it becomes much easier. Then it's a continuous cycle once you can begin to increase your sales and profits you can allocate to higher priced domains.

Ultimately, be realistic in the way that you price your domains, or you will never get out of the domaining game ahead. And don't be afraid to put in a little work, laziness never pays off. Spend time marketing your domain to people at a reasonable price, even if it's only a small profit. Profit is profit, and it leads to more profit if you use it correctly.

Don't be greedy and expect too much from any names that aren't category killers, generics, or closely related. You can either turn a $1.99 into $5 or $10 and move on to the next, or let it sit around hoping for a miracle. And letting it sit around is only going to lead to more and more renewal fees..

I hope this helps some of you, because I wish I had never gotten away from when I was more than happy with a small profit on a newly regged name! I'm excited for what's in store now that I've focused on being more realistic with the majority of my portfolio.

Happy domaining :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great advice and thanks for sharing.

•••
Great points. You have a more sense of reality then most who come on here searching out the next pipe dream.

•••
This is great advice, especially for new domainers. I agree with most of what you have to say other than two things.

I don't agree with your hand-regging opinions. Hand-regging is still completely alive and very profitable but often people think it's not because they are really just not good at finding good ones. There are still great domains to be registered, you just have to do some searching. I've had a great experience with hand-regging domains. Last year I had regged a domain and sold it for over $2500 just 3 months later. This brings me to the next thing I don't entirely agree with which is getting greedy.

If you have exactly what someone wants and the quantity of what they want is exactly one, then I don't see anything wrong with asking for substantially high prices. With the name I sold for $2500+ the buyer originally offered $500, which of course I would of accepted if that was really the highest he would go. But I didn't accept, I countered at $3,000. He then countered at $1,000. I countered again. He then countered $1,500. And then I offered a price in between $2,500 and $3,000 and I got an email the next day saying the buyer has accepted. So what I'm saying is if the buyer agrees then, think about it, they AGREED. They are satisfied with the price, and if you are too, then I don't see any problem.

Also, this wasn't a one-time thing where I just got lucky with only one of my hand regs. Another domain I registered last year got an offer $200, which I countered and we ended up not agreeing. Later on I got an offer for $400 which I countered, then same thing. It's a really good one and I'm confident I can get 1000+ for it. I'm in the business of trying to get the big sale and so are the worlds top domainers.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion based on my experience. The rest of your points are very true and useful.

•••
This is great advice, especially for new domainers. I agree with most of what you have to say other than two things.

I don't agree with your hand-regging opinions. Hand-regging is still completely alive and very profitable but often people think it's not because they are really just not good at finding good ones. There are still great domains to be registered, you just have to do some searching. I've had a great experience with hand-regging domains. Last year I had regged a domain and sold it for over $2500 just 3 months later. This brings me to the next thing I don't entirely agree with which is getting greedy.

If you have exactly what someone wants and the quantity of what they want is exactly one, then I don't see anything wrong with asking for substantially high prices. With the name I sold for $2500+ the buyer originally offered $500, which of course I would of accepted if that was really the highest he would go. But I didn't accept, I countered at $3,000. He then countered at $1,000. I countered again. He then countered $1,500. And then I offered a price in between $2,500 and $3,000 and I got an email the next day saying the buyer has accepted. So what I'm saying is if the buyer agrees then, think about it, they AGREED. They are satisfied with the price, and if you are too, then I don't see any problem.

Also, this wasn't a one-time thing where I just got lucky with only one of my hand regs. Another domain I registered last year got an offer $200, which I countered and we ended up not agreeing. Later on I got an offer for $400 which I countered, then same thing. It's a really good one and I'm confident I can get 1000+ for it. I'm in the business of trying to get the big sale and so are the worlds top domainers.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion based on my experience. The rest of your points are very true and useful.

Maxx500,

I think my wording may have confused you.

Regarding hand-registering domains we are 110% in agreement. I am the biggest advocate of hand-registering domains and dedicate hours upon hours researching and studying them almost daily.

Another point this brings me to is the common notion that hand registering valuable names is a thing of the past. That's the biggest myth I have ever come across in my domaining career.

As you can see, the point that I was bringing up is how everyone seems to preach that hand-regging is dead now. Then I immediately follow by stating how it is the biggest myth I have ever heard. Hand-registering is alive and well and always will be. About 95% of my portfolio is hand-regs and I am constantly adding more.

Sure, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you will handreg a domain that sells for xxxx, but with a little research and effort, there are several available names that can make a profit. Even if it's a $5-$10 sale on a $1.99 hand register, it's profit. And thanks to ever-changing trends, there are even a few exceptions I've hand registered that have already brought in xxx offfers. Do your work and research.

Furthermore, I completely agree that hand-regs can be sold for xxxx, these are the few exceptions I refer to. I have quite a few that I refuse to take less than xxxx for and those are the ones I mentioned that have already brought in xxx offers.

But realistically speaking, there is absolutely no chance in hell that every hand-reg in your portfolio will sell for xxxx. It simply will not happen. So by being greedy and pricing every single one for xxxx, you're limiting yourself, and more than likely going to fail. It's very unlikely that your hand-regs are "exactly what someone wants and the quantity of what they want is exactly one". For the majority of domainers this will never be the case.

For example just today I've regged VRProjections, DIYCreation, and DIYApparel. These are names that I will hold out for xxxx, or something close to it. But I also regged HornyOnline, LeaksOnline, MailerOnline, OnlineTheme, ShipMyProduct, as well as several others. These are names that I believe have value, and maybe even xxxx, but I'm not going to turn away any decent offer.

Of course every situation is unique in its own, and you can use the situation to find the most realistic price. If I received an opening offer of $500, I can realistically expect to get xxxx because the buyer is obviously serious and has the budget to spend on the name. However, a $500 opening offer is not a realistic expectation for most names. Now if it received an opening offer of maybe $4o-$50, and it's not one of my few exception domains, I'm not going to get greedy and leave money on the table by countering xxxx. I only paid $2 for it after all.

My perfect example is a sale I had this morning, OnlineCloudServers for $100. Not even 2 months ago I came across it in the deleted .com section of expired domains. It had been dropped before according to the whois check, but I saw potential value in the name so I grabbed it for $2. I received a $14 offer on it and I countered with $100. It was accepted right away, and maybe I could have gotten more, but I was happy with $100 so I don't have a single regret about the sale.

I would almost be willing to bet the previous owners had it placed on sedo and gd with an unrealistic xxxx tag, and ended up dropping it when it came time to shell out another $12 for renewal. Just like thousands and thousands of names do every day.

I'm in the business of trying to get the big sale and so are the worlds top domainers.

We're all after the big sale, but it's a matter of being realistic about when to go for it. The worlds top domainers have something us regular domainers don't that sets us apart, capital. I've watched every video on DomainSherpa, and the worlds best domainers don't waste their time on pursuing handregs. They drop xxx-xxxx on drops and resells daily like it's nothing.

If you're after the big sale, realistically, you HAVE to invest in higher ticket domains. Relying on hand-regs is great starting out, but it's never going to put you even close to the likes of the worlds top domainers, and that's a fact. So instead of limiting yourself, keep names moving out of your portfolio for a +ROI and save up for larger investments. It takes money to make money.

Low xxxx is a great sale for most domainers, but I'm in this game for the big sale. That xxxx will be reinvested into xxx names that can easily be turned into xxxx, then those xxxx will be invested into names that can be turned into xxxxx, and THAT is how you put yourself at the level of the top domainers. Progression, realism, research, work, profit = real success.

Last edited:
•••
Ohhh. Ok, that wording did confuse me. We're in agreement about that then.

Also, you're right about the $50 offer vs $500 in most cases. But people do occasionally get greedy on the BUYER's side of the game. Occasionally people act like they're somewhat interested and will shoot you a $xx just to see if they get lucky. When in reality they would be willing to drop thousands or more if they need to. One example of this, it's on a more massive scale, but still, the sale of eBet.com was a good example of this: A company offered $50k for it which the owner didn't think much of it because they received offers like this all the time. So the owner counters $1.8 million. After some time the company comes back and offers $1,000,000 out of the blue. And they eventually agreed on $1.35 million. So in this case the buyer came up $1.3 mil. Over 25 times their original offer.

By all means this type of thing can happen on a lower scale too. When I receive $xx or low $xxx offers (for hands-regs or non-premium domains), I usually counter an $x,xxx price because you never know. THEN if they don't accept or counter I send them some sort of email like "Ok, I've decided that I do want to sell it now and that I'd be willing to let it go for a more realistic price. If you can send a higher offer I will definitely consider it." This is not exactly what I send but it's along those lines. Then if it seems like they have a low budget I'll work with them, especially if it's hand-reg.

I don't think these topics and other domain topics, should be viewed like "This never happens, this always happens, or this means this, and that means that, etc."

The domain industry is circumstantial and every situation is different.

Another thing I didn't mention of why I knew to counter offer when the $500 offer was received was because the offer was sent through GoDaddy's Domain Buy Service. Which means he dropped $70 just to send it. So you're right that there are definitely more appropriate times to counter $x,xxx or more. I personally just like to always send high counter-offers or at least ask the person to send a more serious offer. The reason is because just having one big sale can completely dwarf a bunch of small domains sales.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for that listser and maxx500. Sometimes this seems like such a crap-shoot, you can't wrap your head around it and it'll feel like everyone else is succeeding but you.

•••
Nice post C.
Well done. You always show you know what you want and where you are going; this attitude will lead you to anything but success.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back