IT.COM

The best web design program?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am currently building a website and I was wondering what the best, web design program is. At the moment I'm using Dreamweaver but I'm not too good at it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, I'm going to use Frontpage and there's nothing you can do about it. :p

•••
Really. Dang it, i need to meet my convert from the evil side quota :)

•••
Frontpage is always trying to stick Microsoft propaganda in your web pages, I swear. I use notepad, PS7, fireworks, mspaint, and this handy-dandy little program for colors called the "Colourificator". You can find it at http://colourificator.sitekit.net

•••
lol, paint? Well, i mean, it is free, but, lol...

•••
Heh, I use it when I'm thinking up a rough outline of a page so that I can then turn it into code.

•••
IMO, Notepad sucks so bad. Manually typing out HTML is very "old school" now. Dreamweaver makes all the code for you (most of the time it's perfectly good code too) and you don't have to type a single line of HTML.

I mean sure, I know a fair bit of HTML, but frankly, I don't bother any more. My opinion though...

•••
Nah, I started off by learning every bit of HTML. The fact that these applications don't require you to type anything is a plus.

•••
DW adds extra spaces in code sometimes, which can throw off the design if your using tables ect

only thing good about dreamweaver is syntax highlighting, and you can get that in a basic editer that you don't have to pay for, the wysiwyg part..eh. never have liked any programs like that

•••
ya, lol. Notepad is what u use if DW screws you over, lol. And as Mr. said, you have to know html either way. And if you use dreamweaver and never check the code view, then thats just lazy :p

•••
•••
haha, i heard that CS has some bugs. is anything really dif from 7? i gurantee i can do anything in 7 that u can in CS :p

•••
i want to get CS, just don't feel like dishing out the 169 (i think thats how much it is to upgrade) to upgrade to it

•••
I learnt HTML. But now I have dreamweaver ;) And I'm always checking my code to type in the CSS that dreamweaver can't do. I only have DW 4.0.

•••
Using DW and then going into the code and cleaning it up a bit works great. Saves alot of time and still produces good results.

Also, I'm tired of people who say notepad is the best, because it isn't. Those people should get scriptworx. Its free. Its just like notepad except it does highlighting which is a great plus.

•••
photoshop too design and slice then hand code

•••
ya, i was gonna say something like dkp87, there are a lot of really nice text editors like np, free, with syntax highlighitng. you should check them out. maybe we are just to lazy :p

•••
Probably ;) Dreamweaver highlights ;)

•••
I'd have to say notepad and PS7

•••
:bah:
Notepad again. The time you could have been saving.. :|

•••
haha, whats with you and notepad? you support MS by buying FP, then you refuse to use there built in, very competent editor :p

•••
for a web editor that has syntax highlighting I would recommend html-kit (http://www.html-kit.com). It has good support for css, php, and a few other web languages through user-community created plugins. Built-in ftp module is quite useful.

in pascal (the best programming language ever to walk the Earth), the formula for a great web-designer designer kit would be this

program good_website;

var
photoshop, simplehtmleditor,a : string;

begin
a:= readln('Your editing programs')

if a= (photoshop + simplehtmleditor)
then
writeln('Tools gathered')
else
repeat
writeln('You are a failure. Get a life and some decent web design programs')
until (false)
end.

note: code syntax is a bit screwy ----- it is 11 and I am tired

•••
ohh, i think ill check that out, it looks good.

•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Notepad does not rule

So is dreamweaver for other people <Edited - Rude and Vulgar Language>
then? It has code view and different color highlights, does notepad have that? For fast designing, there is the WYSIWYG editor, does notepad have that?

Also, if you think you're "hard" for using notepad and are making web site the "real way" then grow up! Enter the new age of programs that do everything for you. Hand-coding is old school now.

Sorry if I sound angry in this post, I am not, I'm just saying...

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I would say that DreamWeaver is better than frontpage when it comes to WYSIWYG. As long as you don't use the watered down frontpage in MS Word, you can't go too far wrong. I am still for hard-coding. Because I program other things, i.e. Delphi and Pascal, I am accustomed to typing lots of code. I wouild say that Hand-coding gives more of a sense of accomplishment. Still, I recommend HTML-Kit. Also has syntax completion - makes hand coding a crudzooka load faster.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back