Dynadot

.tel .mobi can you hear me now?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Or should I say .tel and .mobi naysayers can you hear me now? I have numerous .mobi names and several .tel names. A chief criticism of .mobi and .tel has been monetization. Well, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to the end of the monetization argument.

Pooptooth Blog | Blog Archive | .tel .mobi can you hear me now?

What a great business model. I can't wait to see how it evolves.

If you found this article helpful, please stumble and digg it. Thanks.

To the naysayers, let's have an open debate about how this new monetization model will make mobile only sites more or less viable. Let's not rehash old arguments. mmmkay?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i havent checked link yet but why are you lumping .tel and .mobi together?
wish people wouldnt do that.
there are tons of ways of monetizing .mobi, no problems at all. even more are opening up. major companies the world over are using
.tel is just horrible, full stop

•••
There is nothing you can do on .TEL that you can't do on any other extension with a script, however there are a million things you can't do on .TEL that you can do on other extensions.

The lack of development options will be it's death. The internet is past phonebook level technology.

Brad

•••
So how is this going to benefit your names ? Do these people even know about .mobi or .tel ? Please elaborate.

•••
there are tons of ways of monetizing .mobi, no problems at all. even more are opening up. major companies the world over are using
.tel is just horrible, full stop

Same opinion +1 :tu:

•••
thanks for your opinions so far. so no one can see the benefit of a prolific click to call application that makes calling, tracking, and getting paid for those calls as easy as using adsense?

I thought this was the holy grail for mobile phone sites, personally. Maybe I was viewing the world through my own experience of wanting to talk to a live person when searching on my phone.

As for grouping .tel with .mobi, insofar as monetizing both of them for use on a mobile, yes, I think they go together - sorry Pred

•••
Thanks for the tips, that could definatly be one perfect way to monetize .tel and .mobi domains.

•••
.tel is useless and a waste of money and has nothing to do with .mobi!

•••
.tel is useless and a waste of money and has nothing to do with .mobi!

your comment is useless and has nothing to do with this thread! buger off unless you have something constructive to say about ringrev as it applies to .tel and .mobi - cheers

•••
your comment is useless and has nothing to do with this thread! buger off unless you have something constructive to say about ringrev as it applies to .tel and .mobi - cheers

like i said, .tel is useless and a waste of money, i see no positive outcome from the blogs news for .tel - you dont own this forum, so either accept peoples opinion or buger off!

•••
Thank you for your opinion. I really want to hear some deep criticism beyond this or that sucks. Let's hear why a new business model based on click to call won't launch .tel or .mobi site values?

like i said, .tel is useless and a waste of money, i see no positive outcome from the blogs news for .tel - you dont own this forum, so either accept peoples opinion or buger off!

•••
Thank you for your opinion. I really want to hear some deep criticism beyond this or that sucks. Let's hear why a new business model based on click to call won't launch .tel or .mobi site values?

.mobi yes - but .tel no!

•••
So how is this going to benefit your names ? Do these people even know about .mobi or .tel ? Please elaborate.

Agreed, a "click-to-call" application sounds kind of cool - and maybe even a teeny bit, over time, incrementally monetizing - but the reality is that NO ONE knows (or readily finds) these domains/sites (especially the ".mobi"), so how significant or substantive can this be for existing, respective domain holders? :|
IMHO.

-Jeff B-)

•••
The internet is past phonebook level technology.

True, but the brains of baby-boomers and internet users over 40 are not past phonebook level, and crave a central database similar to the tree-killing phone books of yesteryear. Yellowpages.com and other yellow.whatever "phonebooks" suck with outdated, inaccurate info. Yes, you can provide contact information in any extension, but the thought of a default database for email addresses, web addresses, street addresses, phone numbers, and other contact info doesn't strike me as a waste. If I'm not looking for a company's website, but merely their phone number or fax number, I'd like to know I can find it at their respective .tel, instead of having to google it on my shitty little mobile phone.

•••
no need to "prove" your developed or undeveloped mobi (or tel for that matter) to others. stay below the radar and go make some money using this simple model:

keyword domain (in any extension) + PPC / AM = $$$$

leave the blabbering to others...

•••
Truer words have never been spoken. But I was just writing a headline that would capture interest and spark debate.

Jeff: that's sort of a cart before the horse argument. If new technology arrives that pairs explicity with mobile phone specific tlds wouldn't that lead to innovative site solutions down the road?

no need to "prove" your developed or undeveloped mobi (or tel for that matter) to others. stay below the radar and go make some money using this simple model:

keyword domain (in any extension) + PPC / AM = $$$$

leave the blabbering to others...

•••
But I was just writing a headline that would capture interest and spark debate.

Open and vibrant debate is cool, no worries (unless one is in the .TV Forum™)! :guilty:

Jeff: that's sort of a cart before the horse argument. If new technology arrives that pairs explicity with mobile phone specific tlds wouldn't that lead to innovative site solutions down the road?

I mentioned that it could assist incrementally over time ... but, realistically, in the context of domainers who presently own these domains (especially the time and money already spent in the ".mobi") I'm unsure how this finding is going to substantively benefit them here in the near-to-mid term, along with the remaining questionmark for the long-term, IMHO.

It's an interesting finding (and possible website option/solution), but if the awareness and adoption of the extensions (namely, the ".mobi) are still essentially non-existent, how much actual incremental monetization revenue is it going to add to that domainer's names/portfolio (while he/she continue to spend more on renewals year after year)? :|
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
There is nothing you can do on .TEL that you can't do on any other extension with a script, however there are a million things you can't do on .TEL that you can do on other extensions.

I hope you have the same attitude about mobi.

.mobi Domain Compliance | dotMobi

The lack of development options will be it's death. The internet is past phonebook level technology.

And cellphone technology is well past the screen limitations that mobi enforces.

So what's the difference?

•••
I think you are still missing the bigger picture I'm trying to draw.

"If the technology now exists to take advantage of mobile surfers and direct connect them to vendors real time in a familiar way (to developers, i.e. syn. PPC) AND developers can now get PAID on a whole new set of advertisers and industries, wouldn't it follow that the developer market will begin to build out these new types of sites."

Further if this new type of revenue channel exists and developers embrace it and build it, wouldn't it follow that they would also advertise it? They wouldn't just build it and hope some one happens by. No. They would definitely advertise it on Google and Yahoo, etc.

So the big epiphany I had with RingRevenue.com is that they have a proprietary system that makes click to call as easy as standard link and banner type publishing. I grant that they are still in beta and I haven't seen their system exactly, but they have partnered with CJ, which works like every other system that domainers and developers currently use. If they succeed in making click to call as easy and profitable as I think they are trying to do, .tel and .mobi will definitely see an increase in use as the billed defacto mobile extensions.

Open and vibrant debate is cool, no worries (unless one is in the .TV Forum™)! :guilty:

I mentioned that it could assist incrementally over time ... but, realistically, in the context of domainers who presently own these domains (especially the time and money already spent in the ".mobi") I'm unsure how this finding is going to substantively benefit them here in the near-to-mid term, along with the remaining questionmark for the long-term, IMHO.

It's an interesting finding (and possible website option/solution), but if the awareness and adoption of the extensions (namely, the ".mobi) are still essentially non-existent, how much actual incremental monetization revenue is it going to add to that domainer's names/portfolio (while he/she continue to spend more on renewals year after year)? :|
Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Can we please stay on target with how RingRevenue's new click to call system will fit with .tel and .mobi rather than other tangent arguments better suited to another thread? Thank you.

I hope you have the same attitude about mobi.

.mobi Domain Compliance | dotMobi

And cellphone technology is well past the screen limitations that mobi enforces.

So what's the difference?

•••
Can we please stay on target with how RingRevenue's new click to call system will fit with .tel and .mobi rather than other tangent arguments better suited to another thread? Thank you.

That's fair but I don't see the same statement made toward bmugford who made the original offtopic comment. Biased?

The blog post doesn't say too much about the technology though. Apparently it's a type of tracking system for phone sales? I don't see the big deal how this will really increase usage or acceptability of tel/mobi.

RingRevenue� - Pay-Per-Call Platform Features

It just seems like tracking system...big deal.

•••
I actually think it is a big deal really. There aren't any mainstream, low level players in the click to call arena or there'd be a lot more talk about it on these boards. It's a new rev stream that fits perfectly with where the mobile net is going - local and direct connect.

Can you name any other click to call programs that will have such a broad reach through another affiliate provider like CJ?

Also, you're a forum mod, Jesse; you need to be above the fray now...lucky you :P

•••
Well sure this company might do well but how does it really help push the mobi or tel markets?

Or should I say .tel and .mobi naysayers can you hear me now?

Seems a double standard you want to discuss mobi and tel but don't want others to bring them into the discussion.

Can you name any other click to call programs that will have such a broad reach through another affiliate provider like CJ?

Okay so this company is early to market. Again...how is this really related to the growth of mobi or tel? Reading more of their site it sounds like their whole game is based on voip. Sort of kills any relationship with domains doesn't it?

Also, you're a forum mod, Jesse; you need to be above the fray now...lucky you :P

Don't think that will stop me from voicing my opinion. I'll just try to be nicer about it.

•••
Well sure this company might do well but how does it really help push the mobi or tel markets?
mobi development starts to hit a wall when you try to connect to vendors that support mobile transactions. Unless you build out a custom site, there's really not many mobile providers to choose from. It's a road block in my opinion. The click to call removes the mobile transaction roadblock. Further, conversions do get better when talking to a live person over clicking a cold keypad.

Seems a double standard you want to discuss mobi and tel but don't want others to bring them into the discussion.

There's no 2x standard here, Jesse. I want this discussion to be about how RingRevenue.com relates to .mobi and .tel. Not all that other garbage that people like to bring into the arena. Leave that crap out and talk real about this new technology. We could both recite the old crap in our sleep. It's done.

Okay so this company is early to market. Again...how is this really related to the growth of mobi or tel? Reading more of their site it sounds like their whole game is based on voip. Sort of kills any relationship with domains doesn't it?
"Track calls like clicks. Easy to get started. Simple to use." is their slogan. I don't see how it could be any more relevant to mobile websites, really.

Don't think that will stop me from voicing my opinion. I'll just try to be nicer about it.
don't slip up on your recovery. let me know when you hit step 5 - I want to take notes.

•••
Pay per call is certainly interesting, but I wouldn't rest the fate of .tel and .mobi on a startup like this. Even in a best case scenario it could be years before affiliates have a decent selection of merchants to promote.

The biggest hurdle is that merchants really love the fact that affiliates are sending person to person phone transactions and they don't have to pay for those affiliate sales.

But even if this can work out, I don't see the benefit for .tel "webmasters" since they appear to be pretty noobish. They would put the numbers on their .tel profiles, but who is going to ever see them? Oh that's right, Google is going to one day rank keyword.tel's at the top without the need for legit development and SEO work. [rolls eyes] I would be way more excited over this calling system in use in creatives hosted on real TLD's.

•••
Thanks for your opinion.

I'm not putting the fate of .tel and .mobi on a startup affiliate program. That's naive. No. I'm saying that it's a perfect fit.

This seems mixed up and I don't understand what you meant by this:
"The biggest hurdle is that merchants really love the fact that affiliates are sending person to person phone dtransactions and they don't have to pay for those affiliate sales."

Can you clarify what you mean?

My opinion of awareness is that once new revenue streams, like this new technology affords, makes it mainstream more developers will be encouraged to build out sites. And again, once a developer builds out a site, they generally don't just sit on it, but they actively promote it using adwords, YSM, etc and of course back links too. So I don't really see how the argument that these names will just sit there after being developed holds true.

Lastly, I asked nicely to leave all crap arguments at the door and strictly address how RingRevenue.com applies to .tel and .mobi. Please try to stay focused and have a real discussion. Thanks.

Pay per call is certainly interesting, but I wouldn't rest the fate of .tel and .mobi on a startup like this. Even in a best case scenario it could be years before affiliates have a decent selection of merchants to promote.

The biggest hurdle is that merchants really love the fact that affiliates are sending person to person phone transactions and they don't have to pay for those affiliate sales.

But even if this can work out, I don't see the benefit for .tel "webmasters" since they appear to be pretty noobish. They would put the numbers on their .tel profiles, but who is going to ever see them? Oh that's right, Google is going to one day rank keyword.tel's at the top without the need for legit development and SEO work. [rolls eyes] I would be way more excited over this calling system in use in creatives hosted on real TLD's.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back