NameSilo

status-resolved Suspension of account due to email delivery issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

anantj

Top Member
Impact
So, last night, my account was suddenly suspended due to problems in delivering e-mails to my registered e-mail account. When I logged in today morning, a message displayed that I should use a gmail account which is what I literally use for NP. Further, I received e-mails till 1 AM my time (IST Timezone). So it was possibly some intermitten issue.

Now, suddenly suspending my account for e-mails not getting delivered is a really extreme step. As a result of this suspension, all my thread and other alerts in Namepros are now lost. I don't know which previous conversations I missed but more importantly, which new conversations and threads I missed.

This is a very extreme step to take. A simple look at my account would have revealed that I'm an old member who's extremely active. A message in my account alerting me to the problem would have easily given me a chance to fix the issue and not lose out on messages and/or alerts. It's not like I'm a scammer or a duplicate account holder and I don't think I deserved such an extreme action against my account for an issue that is not even in my control. Automated systems are fine and good but when they affect loyal and regular users like it has affected me, then the system is not intellingent and needs fixing.

@Support Team Can you please update and improve this process?

Thanks
Anant

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This happened to me a few months back. I temporarily changed the email to another one I have and ten minutes later I changed it right back to my paid original email. I have zero desire to use Gmail. It is annoying as I was in the middle of a negotiation. The messages will tell you name pros emails are getting bounced but it never happened before that or since.

•••
This happened to me a few months back. I temporarily changed the email to another one I have and ten minutes later I changed it right back to my paid original email.

I did the same. And I've receiving e-mails from namepros just fine. Changed to email 2 and then changed back to email 1! I just feel such a ban-hammer is a little extreme reaction, especially for accounts with established history and no past issues!

•••
Hello,

Please review the following help guide:

Changed to email 2 and then changed back to email 1!
Typically, that will not work, because our email provider (SendGrid) remembers the email addresses that bounce, so regardless of our settings, the email address will be blocked. However, since it did work, there may be a bug somewhere. @Paul Buonopane will have more information.

•••
I understand the guide and the mechanics is the problem. Why does the account need suspension? Disable e-mail delivery for a few days/a week. There can also be intermittent issues with e-mail providers (gmail in my case, one of your recommended providers) which can cause e-mails to bounce. There is absolutely nothing that me as a user can do in such a scenario to "fix" the issue. Imagine if your bank did the same. Would it be okay? Or some other critical provider (lol, yes I just compared NP to my bank in terms of importance)

This is like using a sledgehammer to a problem when a smaller one will suffice. I'm pretty sure such scenarios can be handled more gracefully/elegantly. Just because this is the current process earlier doesn't mean it cannot be improved ;)

•••
Hello,

Please review the following help guide:

Typically, that will not work, because our email provider remembers the email addresses that bounce, so regardless of our settings, the email address will be blocked. However, since it did work, there may be a bug somewhere. @Paul Buonopane will have more information.

I had to do the same thing today. Said hotmail account I was using, wasn't getting mail, when it was. So changed it to another. Then changed it right back to the original. I had to do that in the past as well.

The cookie and similar technologies popup is annoying as well. Get that a lot from mobile, logged out.

Last edited:
•••
my account was suddenly suspended due to problems in delivering e-mails to my registered e-mail account. When I logged in today morning, a message displayed that I should use a gmail account which is what I literally use for NP. Further, I received e-mails till 1 AM my time (IST Timezone). So it was possibly some intermitten issue.

Got the same issue.

Just changed my email once seen this thread and set old email is working fine.

@Paul Buonopane there must be a system bug. please check and fix it.

•••
Happened here too, just over a month ago..

created a new email account just for NP..

Very inconvenient.

•••
The cookie and similar technologies popup is annoying as well. Get that a lot from mobile, logged out.
Unrelated, but you can login on mobile. :)

Why does the account need suspension?
It usually only affects unreliable email providers, in which case, we need the member to use a more reliable provider.

In the case of Gmail, it almost never happens, which is why we suspect there is a bug. It's very possible that your email address did not bounce in this instance, and the message is the result of a bug. We have alerted Paul of the potential issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
•••
Part of the issue here is the suspension aspect. People can set their settings to receive no emails period and never get suspended no matter what email account is being used as long as they check their dashboard regularly. Pms will not stop coming and going.

I thought about doing that because blocking the sending and receiving of PMs makes us look shady to other people on the forum we are trying to do business with at any given time,

The emails do not contain the message anyway so they serve no purpose but to alert.

Last edited:
•••
Part of the issue here is the suspension aspect. People can set their settings to receive no emails period and never get suspended no matter what email account is being used as long as they check their dashboard regularly. Pms will not stop coming and going.

I thought about doing that because blocking the sending and receiving of PMs makes us look shady to other people on the forum we are trying to do business with at any given time,

The emails do not contain the message anyway so they serve no purpose but to alert.
Emails are sent for various purposes, including thread alerts, watched tag alerts, new direct messages, etc. depending on the member's settings.

It will also be used if we need to contact you about a matter relating to your account. It is a requirement of every NamePros account to have a valid and reliable email address on it.

•••
We're experiencing a bug right now that's causing perfectly valid emails to be marked as invalid. Normally, the suspensions occur so as to prevent members from receiving further emails from us if they're no longer interested in such communications, or if their email address becomes permanently unavailable (e.g., the domain drops).

You can monitor our investigation of this bug here: https://www.nameprosstatus.com/incidents/wfbr52bsmc39

My apologies for the inconvenience.

•••
Same this happened to me this morning. No bueno.

•••
From the status page:
Accounts that were marked as invalid have been restored to their original state. We're still investigating the cause of the issue. The email bounce handler remains disabled until we determine the cause.

•••
•••
Excerpt from my chat with SendGrid support:
SendGrid: Currently it looks like these bounces are actually a part of an ongoing trending issue that we are experiencing with bounces returning back a blank reason. I have added you to our internal case notes for this issue. Our engineers are currently looking into this and trying to get a further scope on what is occuring and deploying a fix for it. As soon as I hear back from them. I can reach back out to you with an update
Paul: Awesome, thanks. Could you update your StatusPage account?
SendGrid: Can you clarify for me on the account that you are referring to?
Paul: http://status.sendgrid.com/
Paul: Our StatusPage account pulls data from yours; it's integrated into the StatusPage system.
SendGrid: No, this is not a site wide outage and is not affecting all users. Because of this we have not made a status post about it
SendGrid: I do apologize.
Paul: Could you please make a post and set it to partial outage?
Paul: It's affecting a significant number of our users.
Paul: This is the point of your status page: to communicate issues, even if they don't affect everyone.
Paul: You could also set it to degraded performance.
SendGrid: I do apologize for the confusion on this. Our status page is to update customers on site wide outages that are happening across our whole platform. Our teams that handle the status page will not be able to make a status post as this is something affect a small sub set of users.
SendGrid: I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
slow clap

•••
I hope our AI will be smarter than this hooman! :eyeroll:

•••
@Paul Buonopane I noticed that the "maintenance" banner near the top of NP pages has been removed. Can we assume that the issue is now resolved? Can I switch back to my regular e-mail address that I use with NP?

•••
@Paul Buonopane I noticed that the "maintenance" banner near the top of NP pages has been removed. Can we assume that the issue is now resolved? Can I switch back to my regular e-mail address that I use with NP?

You can definitely switch back now. We're not taking any chances with this; we're manually reviewing all bounce reports until we're certain it's permanently fixed. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Update: We've enabled it again to be handled automatically. If you notice any issues, please contact customer support.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back