Dynadot

Suspended on Afternic - We can't tell you why

NameSilo
Watch

GoodKindName

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty frustrated right now, please let me share the story.

I was trying to log in to my Afternic account 4 days ago just to change prices on a few domains and the message a got is "Your account is suspended, please contact customer service."

So I called Afternic and they told me to send them an e-mail regarding this. I sent it.

Today, since it's been more than 4 days since my e-mail, I decided to call them again and asked to look into the problem. This is exactly what the support said:

"It is not possible to provide any reasons why this had happened, this is a permanent decision, it's not possible for us to reinstate it"
I was shocked.

Someone might say a completely sensible thing like: "There should be something wrong you've done, such a decision can't be made for no reason".

But the thing is I absolutely cannot understand what wrong I have done during these 8 months I've been at Afternic.

All I was doing is uploading my domains there and buying from other sellers. When a sale happened on another platform I instantly deleted this domain from Afternic as I should. I also successfully bought and transferred a couple of domains there. A few purchases were unsuccessful either because they "couldn't verify the seller" or no reason was given. That's it, I can't remember absolutely anything wrong that I've done on Afternic.

I find this completely outrageous and frustrating, I don't know what to do and who to contact about it...

Can anyone help me understand what my behavior should be in this situation? What would you do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't you just open another account there?

•••
So, there must be something else. For example, their system might determine (correctly or not) that you actually reside in a specific country they are not allowed to do business with due to U.S. sanctions. They indeed have a reason, but they wouldn't tell you :(

•••
Can't you just open another account there?

I asked that. They said IPs and everything is tracked, so most likely it will be blocked as well

•••
So, there must be something else. For example, their system might determine (correctly or not) that you actually reside in a specific country they are not allowed to do business with due to U.S. sanctions. They indeed have a reason, but they wouldn't tell you :(

The country was known to them from day one, they called me a few times to discuss the buying details, offers, etc. Also, it was in my account settings from the start. So I don't think they can't do business with the country where I from. Also, if there are sanctions and the issue doesn't have anything to do with my specific case, I assume they would tell me this.

•••
Have you ever slandered their platform lets start with obvious and lets assume obvious no.
Do you reside in a country that hasn't excellent political relations? Perhaps not your fault.
Have your previous transactions gone smooth? Have you failed to transfer a domain after sale? @Joe Styler may comment but again it may be just silenced with no response given.

Last edited:
•••
IPs and everything is tracked

Somebody else might use this IP range before with afternic, and performed a chargeback. Also a possibility.

You may try to become "paranoid" and reveiew all the info - IPs, name, address, country, payment details, domains... The answer should be there. No need to disclose all this private stuff on a public forum though.

•••
Have you ever slandered their platform lets start with obvious and lets assume obvious no.
Do you reside in a country that hasn't excellent political relations? Perhaps not your fault.
Have your previous transactions gone smooth? Have you failed to transfer a domain after sale? @Joe Styler may comment but again it may be just silenced with no response given.

My domains are listed there and about half are priced. But I haven't sold any there yet, so failed transactions can't be the reason. As to buying transactions, they went well (except those cases when Afternic couldn't deliver).

•••
Somebody else might use this IP range before with afternic, and performed a chargeback. Also a possibility.

You may try to become "paranoid" and reveiew all the info - IPs, name, address, country, payment details, domains... The answer should be there. No need to disclose all this private stuff on a public forum though.

I consider all that info but can't come up with the reason to block me

•••
Welcome to the Domaining Industry where Transparency is on a permanent holiday

Still, I agree with @tonyk2000 , they always have a valid reason when they make such decisions.

•••
Welcome to the Domaining Industry where Transparency is on a permanent holiday

Still, I agree with @tonyk2000 , they always have a valid reason when they make such decisions.

It is completely logical to assume that there should be a legitimate reason but their refusal to share it with me is frustrating and actually quite terrifying. Especially since I know that I've done nothing wrong on their platform.

•••
•••
My best guess is that it has something to do with your payments.

Your credit card, bank account, or any other payment option you have used may be flagged for money laundering, or suspected for being connected to terrorism, drugs or frozen Russian/Iranian/Whatever assets.

•••
My best guess is that it has something to do with your payments.

Your credit card, bank account, or any other payment option you have used may be flagged for money laundering, or suspected for being connected to terrorism, drugs or frozen Russian/Iranian/Whatever assets.

Solely used my one and only Paypal account. Been using it for around 8 years, and it's as clean as it can be.

•••
Solely used my one and only Paypal account. Been using it for around 8 years, and it's as clean as it can be.
Ok.

What country are you living in?

•••
Ok.

What country are you living in?
I would prefer not to say. But many domainers here use Afternic and I couldn't find any cases of accounts being suspended because of the country.

•••
I would prefer not to say. But many domainers here use Afternic and I couldn't find any cases of accounts being suspended because of the country.

Somebody with the similar real name may be included into U.S. sanctions list(s). Check it. Nowadays, sometimes, innocent persons with similar (or same) names are even prevented from ordering at Amazon, etc.

Specially Designated Nationals And Blocked Persons List (SDN) Human Readable Lists -

https://home.treasury.gov/policy-is...blocked-persons-list-sdn-human-readable-lists

•••

hmmm
can u explain what reasons one might have not to say what country they live in...

so now u become like afternic .. u cant tell where or why...

Last edited:
•••
"It is not possible to provide any reasons why this had happened, this is a permanent decision, it's not possible for us to reinstate it"
This means that staff do not have an access or their level is far below the level of access to this information

Or

They have nothing because any decisions are decided by bots

The wise man said, don't create an afternic account, because you can be banned for no reason

Last edited:
•••
This means that staff do not have an access or their level is far below the level of access to this information

Or

They have nothing because any decisions are decided by bots

The wise man said, don't create an afternic account, because you can be banned for no reason

true..but allot of people get sales thru their bin network...peraonally I'm no fan of afternic.. aftr seeing 5 years of my names going in and out of review.. randomly..and without me touching anything... I gave up on them after 200th time I asked them how to fix it or why it happens..

i just list on gd only now..

and sedo... i only have makeoffer anyway..

•••
Remember: You can always list your domains on other marketplaces:
Sedo, DAN, GoDaddy, Domain Agents, Epik, DaaZ, etc. So it's not a do-or-die affair.

•••
@GoodKindName sorry to hear on what you are going through. We sincerely hope you will sort out your issue with AfterNic. Afternic is definitely one of the largest market places, so its worth you sorting out the issue.

As other member @Josytal mentioned above, we are more than willing to serve you. We are definitely a new market place comparing to other market places and we are operational for last 16+ months, but it would be our pleasure to serve you. Feel free to let us know if any means we could help you.

Last edited:
•••
•••
LOL, your answer tells me that you probably already know why Afternic suspended your account.

yea..pretty weird thing to say in a ... we cant tell u why thread

•••
Remember: You can always list your domains on other marketplaces:
Sedo, DAN, GoDaddy, Domain Agents, Epik, DaaZ, etc. So it's not a do-or-die affair.
Sure, theese are the options. But as far as I know, no other platform provides such a wide distribution among registrars. Many people say Afternic brings all or most of their sales (not their landing page). This is why I'm very concerned with this situation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back