.store vs .shop which will you invest in more and why?

Discussion in 'gTLD Discussion' started by 1NiteStand, Jun 16, 2016.

Replies:
Views:

1. TopShelf Domains

TopShelf Domains Established Member

.store seems more upscale/professional, however .shop is a call to action

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TopShelf Domains

Food.store

Food.shop

Go.store

Go.shop

3. lolwarrior

lolwarrior Founder, Brands.International Business Account VIP

I bought on Flippa gTLDs.store :)

4. Brandon.Domains

Brandon.Domains Successful Internet Entrepreneur Since 1998 Business Account

Yes, most terms will work with either .store or .shop. I was trying to come up with an example where one of the two extension doesn't work at all with a term but the other extension sounds perfectly fine.

Thanks,
    Brandon

5. TopShelf Domains

I get what your saying, I suppose Go Store could work . At first thought I liked Go.Shop like telling someone to go shop. But I suppose Go Store could work too

6. Brandon.Domains

Brandon.Domains Successful Internet Entrepreneur Since 1998 Business Account

Yeah I think they both work. "Go" will work with any extension (and it's only 2L). I just did a quick check and it seems there are very little go.extension domains available. 2L is either too short (syntax error), they are reserved, registered or only available at an exorbitant one-time or yearly fee per year.

The same seems to apply to "Get" and I'm sure there are plenty of other terms like that.

Thanks,
    Brandon

7. TopShelf Domains

Get.Shopping

I like it

8. rivey001

rivey001 Active Member VIP

I hear people saying .store sounds more professional so they'll buy it over .shop.

I think they are short sighted. I like them both for starters and though that statement may have some truth to it we got to understand branding is so much more than that.

1. First of all, some products and words sounds much better with shop and vice versa. Ex.. I like book.shop as much as I like book.store. I like weed.shop more than weed.store. etc..
    2. Branding: .store is not as diverse as .shop. Why? .shop is not just a description but it's also a call to action, such as using a city.shop. Ex. Vegas.Shop : This gives me the feeling that I can go to this site to find different shops in vegas or to simply shop in vegas. While.. store feels more limited. Its solid but limited.
    So they both are sold in their own right. I don't think one is better. It just depends as I said on the use and the word used with it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. disaac81

disaac81 Active Member VIP

Shop tends to bring us to imagine something smaller in size and scale than store. The phonetic make up as a whole gives the word 'shop' as a short stay, quick browse experience, where as store is much more open and generates a deeper journey.

But in regard to the actual tlds, both quite pointless.

10. disaac81

disaac81 Active Member VIP

That is a very good point about the call the action part.

11. DNScholar

DNScholar DNScholar.com Business Account VIP

12. coco77

coco77 Established Member

I seem to like .shop also. What do you think of resale value of a branded e-commerce store followed by .shop extension? And I have some Chinese branded store names. Didn't wanna invest on US company ones etc.

13. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

OK. I try to answer the question as it was phrased. As a general (very general) rule, people in American English speaking countries use the word store, whereas people in British English speaking countries, use the word shop. So in England, I'd prefer glasses shop, whereas in America I'd prefer glasses store. That's how people tend to refer to shop/store in UK/US. But the words are interchangeable, to a large extent. However. You''ll find more shops in UK, and more stores in US.

Another distinction between the two is shop tends to be used to describe smaller establishments, ie corner shop, and store tends to be used to describe larger establishments, like departmental store. At least in British English speaking countries. It's probably at least partly true in American English countries too, because you would not describe Macy's as a shop.

As for the discussion about .store or .shop. The same applies. But for me, using the glasses example. I'd prefer glassesshop/store.com over either of the nGTLD's. Only if the .com was taken but .store/.shop was available, would I consider buying .store/.shop. But that's just me ;) I'm a domainer who is not looking to open either a store or a shop. It's an investment/return decision.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!