Dynadot

new gtlds .store vs .shop which will you invest in more and why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

1NiteStand

With AlacrityEstablished Member
Impact
.store vs .shop, what do you think is a better investment and why? Some keywords flow nicely with one or the other, and some flow nice with both new gTLDs, maybe invest in both?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guess I'll be using my ".shop funds" in next weeks auction to win .store domains
I hope your not going after one that I am.

•••
I pre-reg'd 15 .store domains for GA
5x successful
7x private Auction (next Tuesday, I'll be in a bidding war with @CJ6 ;))
3x unsuccessful

•••
Value.store is available premuim $31k

•••
If I could find good keywords for regular prices, I'll go with .SHOP.

With that said, I still like .STORE, but as I domainer I would not pay xxxx annually for a name. Honestly, I don't want to pay xxx, or EVEN mid xx either.

I have no problem with buying names for xxx and even xxxx, but I'm trying to stay away from high renewal fees. I just don't want to take that risk by now. I need to improve my portfolio further first.

Last edited:
•••
shop is more like your in and out quick, and store is more stay inside longer kind of thing.. but then again you don't hear coffee store a lot do you (or at all really).. and lots of people stay in starbucks and other coffee shops for ages.. but you are right, a lot of tech co's use store and not shop. must be some psychology thing?

actually it flows better and has dual meaning, hence probably the preference its used.

I only know "coffee shops" from Amsterdam :laugh:

Thanks,
Brandon

•••
what about .shopping, you think it is out of competition compared to .store & .shop?

.shopping GA is this September..

.shopping has eight characters after the dot this really let's it down.

•••
.SHOP is a bit more versatile than .STORE as it has other meanings besides "a place where you buy things" as well. But if I would put together a serious e-commerce operation, I'd probably go with .STORE. Sounds bigger, with more selection. I like both, though...

•••
So You just made this up @Bram C. ?

It's troubling to see to what extend certain NP members go to blacken new gTLDs

I made nothing up. I simply quoted it from the GMO registry's original .shop application:

The Applicant will conduct random checks to determine compliance with registrant eligibility, name selection, and usage restrictions (hereafter ʺeligibility requirementsʺ) using sampling methodologies. In case the Applicant determines a sampled domain is in violation of the eligibility requirements, the domain name may be deleted or placed on lock, hold, or similar status.

--> Source

And in their application this is what the GMO registry said about "usage restrictions"

3. Usage Restrictions
The purpose of the domain name usage will be restricted as follows:
a. Registered .SHOP domain names must be used for commercial activities in an online or offline environment, or to provide information in relation thereto over the internet; or
b. Registered .SHOP domain names must be intended to be used primarily for commercial activities in an online or offline environment, or to provide information in relation thereto over the internet.

Registration of a .SHOP domain name solely for the purpose of selling, exchanging, trading, leasing the domain name shall be deemed as inappropriate use or intent.

SOURCE: http://www.gtld-similarity.info/apps/1794.html

See also thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/wi...hile-store-is-not-really.959285/#post-5632105

Last edited:
•••
Which market is that? I cannot find a single sale for either of them. Namebio.com and dnpric.es and others don't even have the TLDs in their drop down list.

Sincerely, this means something...what it means is entirely up to you to decide based on your business approach ;) for me it means $0 with a potential for the obvious and mega keywords to sell some time in the next 3-10 years (clothes.store, etc)
.Shop is not yet on the market.
Yes with new gTLDs you have to buy super domains and wait... It's my strategy.

•••
I hear people saying .store sounds more professional so they'll buy it over .shop.

I think they are short sighted. I like them both for starters and though that statement may have some truth to it we got to understand branding is so much more than that.

1. First of all, some products and words sounds much better with shop and vice versa. Ex.. I like book.shop as much as I like book.store. I like weed.shop more than weed.store. etc..
  2. Branding: .store is not as diverse as .shop. Why? .shop is not just a description but it's also a call to action, such as using a city.shop. Ex. Vegas.Shop : This gives me the feeling that I can go to this site to find different shops in vegas or to simply shop in vegas. While.. store feels more limited. Its solid but limited.
So they both are sold in their own right. I don't think one is better. It just depends as I said on the use and the word used with it.

That is a very good point about the call the action part.

•••
Yes, anything decent is premium and way too expensive IMO.

•••
I agree, the registry reserved and "premiumed" pretty much all of the good names, but if you didn't find any at standard reg&renewal fee then you didn't look hard enough! :laugh:

•••
.shop sounds and looks better IMO

•••
.shop is better IMO. .store are only meant for the registry. Stupid pricing on any OK domain that neither most domainers nor end users can afford.

•••
So, I wonder...will they be looking at auction sites (Sedo, GoDaddy, Flippa, etc) to see what is available on there? Or just doing random spot checks? Hmmm... makes you wonder.

•••
I pre-reg'd 15 .store domains for GA
5x successful
7x private Auction (next Tuesday, I'll be in a bidding war with @CJ6 ;))
3x unsuccessful
I have also 5 .store auctions -_- ;)

•••
AMS on Google:

"store" 450 000
"shop" 368 000

At this point, the difference is not essential, though. As mentioned, it rather depends on what's being sold, imo.

•••
How about not investing in .store, nor in .shop?
I would possibly be interested, if the price was reasonable .....however

•••
What about .market , it's a great one and could stand here

•••
I could not find anything regarding .shop re-selling restrictions on nic.shop
Does anyone know where I can read info about this ?
It seems they decided to change it (probably to be able to better compete with .store as that one is unrestricted). In the .shop registration policy (page 11) I read the following now
"Any natural person or entity is eligible to register domain names in the .shop TLD." They also don't mention anything about reselling so I guess that will be allowed now as well.

Last edited:
•••
So You just made this up @Bram C. ?
They will also do random checks to see nobody is breaking this rule. So, as a domainer, if you buy a few .shop domains trying to sell them to end users you may just lose your domain(s) altogether.
It's troubling to see to what extend certain NP members go to blacken new gTLDs

•••
For me .store is better than .shop: more professional

•••
For me both are excellent. I am ready to invest to any name which will have normal renewal rate and good meaning for end users..unfortunately most of such domains in .shop and .shore are already priced with very high yearly renewals :(

•••
BTW, I bought some .store domains and will probably buy some .shop domains as well ;)
Oh, I get you now...
You litter the new gTLD threads with Negativity to discourage other domainers and meanwhile You're shopping for gTLDs yourself.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back